Specialized crossroads or diamondback trace?

Jaxxgirl76

Mar 15, 2020
I recently bought 2 bikes at a very reasonable cost for some light trail riding and small commuting 2 miles or less each way from my home. The 1st one I bought was a specialized crossroads and I love this bike but a 2012 Diamondback trace recently caught my eye. My question is which bike would be the best For what I do which is the commuting and light trails? Do I stick with a specialized or go with the Diamondback or do I just keep both? Also, how do I tell what year the specialized bike is? Can't tell just from looking.

Both the spec cross and the DB trace comes in several versions. This means that w/o knowing which version - or failing that, the specification of each bike - it’s difficult to advise.
What year a bike is generally isn’t that important. Spares and service parts are bought according to what’s on the bike rather than according to year. If the spec is also about the same age as the DB, it doesn’t influence resale value much either.
If you have them both, why not simply ride and decide which one you like best? None of them have much bling value.

The Diamondback model suspension fork which will be of lousy quality, it will weight a lot, cannot act fact enough to be truly and off road fork, and won't last long, a replacement quality fork will cost you nearly as much as you paid for the bike. In addition to that cheap suspensions forks, and good ones too but not as much, requires a lot more watts, ie more energy to propel the bike forward, than a rigid fork, and since you will only being doing light trails you have NO NEED for a suspension fork! Really the only type of riding a suspension fork is good for is fast down hill technical riding. I use to live in California and rode many mountain trails and all I rode was a rigid mountain bike, meaning no front or rear suspension, and I was able to keep up with guys who had suspension forks. So toss the Diamondback away.

So you're probably wondering if what I said is true why does the vast majority of mountain bikes have suspension forks? it's because they are marketing those bikes toward the male population mostly, and a suspension fork looks macho, it looks manly, and people that buy those bikes for under $500 don't have a clue about bikes anyways! There are fat tire bikes with rigid forks at that price but those are very heavy a that price, and takes a lot wattage to propel a fat tire bike like it does for a suspension fork.

So that leaves you with the Specialized that has a rigid fork, these types of bikes are known as hybrid bikes and not mountain bikes, so you need to fine tune your shopping toward hybrid.

You can get a slightly better component package over the Specialized if you look at the Diamondback Insight 2, it comes with the next step up from Shimano Tourney (the bottom of the line derailleurs) to Altus, and trust me Altus works a lot better, there is a day and night difference between those two!

Other options is the Raleigh Cadent 2, Fuji Crosstown 2.3, for about $100 more there is the Cannondale Quick (great frame but Shimano Tourney stuff that can be inexpensively replaced when they fail), and the Trek Verve 1 disk.

....Really the only type of riding a suspension fork is good for is fast down hill technical riding.....

So you're probably wondering if what I said is true why does the vast majority of mountain bikes have suspension forks? it's because they are marketing those bikes toward the male population mostly, and a suspension fork looks macho, it looks manly....
I do XC MTB, often marathon distances. While rideable on a rigid, that kind of stuff gets a lot kinder - and more enjoyable - on your wrists and shoulders with a (decent) sus fork.
I’d have to really put an effort in to care about how manly my bike looks. Offer me a bike that’s a good fit and a performance upgrade, and I’ll ride it even if it’s sparkly and pink and has unicorns on it.
But in general terms I agree with what you say, there’s a lot of shopping going on based on image and perception.

Commuting 2 miles or less?

Save your money and wondering. Ride what you have, it's plenty good for what you do. My wife had a Specialized Crossroads and loved it. Many many 25-40 mile rides without any issues.

You're spending more time and energy thinking about this issue than riding. You have a plenty good bike for what you are doing, and much much more. Get a good saddle, good shorts and take your bike out for a 25 mile ride. :)

Hey, thanks for the advice! You're right, sometimes we overthink things. I'll focus on enjoying my rides instead.

Both bikes are great choices, but the Diamondback Trace has a more versatile design for light trails. It's designed for off-road adventures, while the Crossroads is perfect for paved paths. As for the Specialized, check the serial number for the manufacturing date. Ultimately, having both bikes gives you options for different terrains. Embrace the variety and conquer every trail with confidence! :)

Hear, hear! You've made valid points about the bikes' terrains. Ever considered bikepacking? It's like backpacking, but with a bike . Diamondback Trace's versatility could shine here, while Crossroads' durability is perfect for long hauls ️. Ah, the joys of cycling, eh? :grin:

Consider gravel grinding on the Trace, its stable geometry excels on rough terrains. Crossroads' durability ensures smooth rides on long bikepacking trips. Embrace cycling's adventurous side. #GetOutAndExplore ������ landscape.

Gravel grinding on the Trace sounds exciting, but let's not forget potential pitfalls. While crossroads' durability aids smooth rides, it might lack the speed some crave. Embrace adventure, but be prepared for trade-offs. #StaySkeptical #CyclingAdventures

Gravel grinding on the Trace certainly offers a unique adventure, but it's important to acknowledge the trade-offs. While the durability of gravel may contribute to a smoother ride, it might not satisfy the speed-demon in you. It's all about finding the right balance and embracing the adventure that suits your style. #CyclingAdventures #FindYourBalance. Remember, every ride has its challenges, but with the right mindset, they become opportunities for growth and improvement.

Riding gravel on the Trace, a love-hate relationship. Durability, yes. Speed, not so much. It's a give-and-take. Find your groove, accept the challenges. After all, growth comes from the rocky paths, not the smooth ones. #CyclingLife Lessons.

Riding gravel on the Trace can be tough, I'll give you that. But have you considered the wear and tear on your bike? Durability is one thing, but the constant impact can lead to costly repairs. And let's not forget about the increased risk of accidents. It's all well and good to find your groove, but be aware of the potential downsides too. #CyclingLifeRealTalk.

Riding gravel on the Trace surely tests your mettle, but have you pondered the impact on your bike's groupset? The constant grime and strain may accelerate component degradation, leading to hefty replacement costs. Plus, the abrasive terrain could heighten the risk of punctures, turning your ride into a game of flat-repair roulette. While I'm all for embracing adventure, let's not overlook the potential cycling calamities. #GravelGrindersBeAware

Ah, the thrill of gravel grinding on the Trace, eh? It's like a dance with danger, a flirtation with calamity. True, your groupset might end up looking like a worn-out garage door, but hey, that's part of the adventure, right?

And punctures? Sure, they're as common as potholes on a city street. But isn't the challenge of swapping tubes part of the gravel grinding allure? It's not just a ride, it's a test of resilience and resourcefulness.

So, yes, let's be aware of the potential pitfalls. But let's also embrace the grit and grime, the flat-repair roulette, and the thrill of the ride. After all, it's not just a bike ride, it's a gravel grinding adventure. #KeepCalmAndGravelOn

Gravel grinding on the Trace, indeed! ‍♀️��irt
It's like an unpredictable ride, where every pedal stroke brings a new surprise. True, the wear and tear on your groupset can be a headache, but isn't it a small price to pay for the thrill of the unknown?

Flat tires, a common occurrence, might seem frustrating. Yet, isn't the satisfaction of fixing one on your own a testament to your cycling prowess? ️

So, yes, the pitfalls are there, but they're just another part of the adventure. Let's keep the spirit of exploration alive, one puncture at a time! #EmbraceTheGravelGrind

Ever pondered the mindset of gravel grinders, embracing challenges with a punctured tire as just another adventure? It's a refreshing perspective, really. Instead of frustration, they find satisfaction in their own resourcefulness. Maybe it's not just about the ride, but the spirit of resilience and exploration that comes with it. Ever thought of that? #CyclingResilience

Gravel grinders' resourcefulness and resilience in the face of challenges is indeed noteworthy. However, let's not romanticize the situation too much. Punctured tires and other mishaps can be frustrating and even dangerous, especially for those who rely on their bikes for transportation.

That being said, the perspective of viewing these incidents as just another adventure is a useful mindset to adopt. It can help cyclists develop problem-solving skills and a sense of self-reliance. Plus, it can make the ride more interesting and fulfilling.

But, it's important to remember that this mindset shouldn't be used to downplay the very real risks and challenges of cycling. Instead, it should be used to empower cyclists to be prepared and to approach obstacles with a positive attitude.

So, the next time you encounter a flat tire or other hiccup on your ride, try to embrace it as an opportunity to test your resourcefulness and resilience. And, most importantly, make sure you're prepared with the necessary tools and knowledge to handle the situation safely. #CyclingPreparedness

Couldn't agree more! Embracing challenges on the road is one thing, but ignoring the risks is another. Sure, a flat tire can be an adventure, but it's also a reminder to stay safe and well-equipped. After all, a real cyclist knows when to have fun and when to be serious. ;-) #CyclingPreparedness #StaySafe #HaveFun