Specialized Enduro vs. Santa Cruz Heckler

Jack

Guest
Hi there, can anyone provide some thoughts around which may be a
better mountain bike (pros cons or misc. comments) ?

Thank you,

Jack

Jack wrote:
> Hi there, can anyone provide some thoughts around which may be a
> better mountain bike (pros cons or misc. comments) ?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Jack

Have you tried each one? You are about to get blasted by many different
opinions and trust me, you'll never make up your mind by listening to
what we post here.

In my opinion :)...

Try out these beafier rigs (seems like that's what you are after):

Ventana X-5
Turner 5-Spot
Yeti ASX

Have fun!

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

On Jun 11, 3:34 pm, Ride-A-Lot <mitchell@[nospam]schnauzers.ws> wrote:
> Jack wrote:
> > Hi there, can anyone provide some thoughts around which may be a
> > better mountain bike (pros cons or misc. comments) ?

> > Thank you,

> > Jack

> Have you tried each one? You are about to get blasted by many different
> opinions and trust me, you'll never make up your mind by listening to
> what we post here.
>
> In my opinion :)...
>
> Try out these beafier rigs (seems like that's what you are after):
>
> Ventana X-5
> Turner 5-Spot
> Yeti ASX
>
> Have fun!
>
> --
> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-owww.schnauzers.ws

Thanks I am looking for a good singletrack bike for downhill riding
thats not for a "racer" or "racing" but just having a killer time
mountain biking .. so I dont need top dollar or high end, but
affordable and ye the right bike.. Given this, you still suggest those
bikes you listed ? Anyone else have a suggestion ? Why do you
list those over the Santa Cruz Heckler and Specialized Enduro ?

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 15:25:57 -0700, Jack <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Hi there, can anyone provide some thoughts around which may be a
>better mountain bike (pros cons or misc. comments) ?
>
>Thank you,
>
>Jack

Jack:

Can't comment on the Enduro, but I have a Heckler.. a pre 07 model
(without the swoopy swing arm).. I built it last fall and rode it
heavily through the winter and currently am out 5 or so days a week
for a couple of hours at a time.

Read the mags.. believe. The Heckler is a lot of fun. Not a big drop
bike and a bit heavy for cross country but perfect for trail.

It just works with you. Nobody knows what the "Heckler Secret" is,
maybe even SantaCruz, but it works.

I ride several areas in MA.. mostly rocky and rooty. My bike has Rhyno
lite wheels, a Fox Vanilla 130 that I had a bit of a problem dialing
in (fixed now with the correct spring for my weight) , Avid mech disks
and a two ring Race Face crank (22 - 32 - bash)

I had the Fox rear shock "Pushed" after it failed (stuck down) in the
first week.. highly recommended mod.

Maybe it isn't supposed to, but it climbs like a goat and eats rough
terrain for breakfast.

The negatives.. poor cable routing which is partially resolved on the
07 model.

I have had a number of other FS bikes, but this one has the karma for
me in my type of riding. (64 yrs old but can still show the kids a
thing or two in the snow <BG>)

YMMV <G>

Bob

Jack wrote:
> On Jun 11, 3:34 pm, Ride-A-Lot <mitchell@[nospam]schnauzers.ws> wrote:
>> Jack wrote:
>>> Hi there, can anyone provide some thoughts around which may be a
>>> better mountain bike (pros cons or misc. comments) ?
>>> Thank you,
>>> Jack

>> Have you tried each one? You are about to get blasted by many different
>> opinions and trust me, you'll never make up your mind by listening to
>> what we post here.
>>
>> In my opinion :)...
>>
>> Try out these beafier rigs (seems like that's what you are after):
>>
>> Ventana X-5
>> Turner 5-Spot
>> Yeti ASX
>>
>> Have fun!
>>
>> --
>> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-owww.schnauzers.ws

> Thanks I am looking for a good singletrack bike for downhill riding
> thats not for a "racer" or "racing" but just having a killer time
> mountain biking .. so I dont need top dollar or high end, but
> affordable and ye the right bike.. Given this, you still suggest those
> bikes you listed ? Anyone else have a suggestion ? Why do you
> list those over the Santa Cruz Heckler and Specialized Enduro ?

The ASX would work for you.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

On Jun 11, 3:49 pm, Jack <[email protected]> wrote:
> Why do you
> list those over the Santa Cruz Heckler and Specialized Enduro ?- Hide quoted text -

Specialized is a good "out of the box" bike. The others RAL listed
are built with more attention to detail instead of the usual Asian
mass-produced bikes.

As far as santa crud goes, they are nothing more than a marketing and
design company. Excellent marketing of shitty designs. The heckler
is a POS. Why? It's a single-pivot that does not have the travel
designed well and the swingarm is a flexy POS. Put your foot on the
pivot of a heckler while holding one end of the handlebars and press
down with your foot. It's a wet noodle and the rear end tracks that
way. All of those rave reviewers have gotten used to HAVING to
oversteer those pieces of ****. In essence, those who buy into the
santa crud hype are buying just that, hype.

JD

"Bob Flumere" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Can't comment on the Enduro, but I have a Heckler.. a pre 07 model
> (without the swoopy swing arm).. I built it last fall and rode it
> heavily through the winter and currently am out 5 or so days a week
> for a couple of hours at a time.
>
> Read the mags.. believe. The Heckler is a lot of fun. Not a big drop
> bike and a bit heavy for cross country but perfect for trail.
>
> It just works with you. Nobody knows what the "Heckler Secret" is,
> maybe even SantaCruz, but it works.

I know what the secret is: Santa Crud Marketing.

I'd go with Mitch's suggestions.

Greg
--
Ticketbastard tax tracker:
http://ticketmastersucks.org/tracker.html

On Jun 11, 4:34 pm, Ride-A-Lot <mitchell@[nospam]schnauzers.ws> wrote:
> Jack wrote:
> > Hi there, can anyone provide some thoughts around which may be a
> > better mountain bike (pros cons or misc. comments) ?

> > Thank you,

> > Jack

> Have you tried each one? You are about to get blasted by many different
> opinions and trust me, you'll never make up your mind by listening to
> what we post here.
>
> In my opinion :)...
>
> Try out these beafier rigs (seems like that's what you are after):
>
> Ventana X-5
> Turner 5-Spot
> Yeti ASX
>
> Have fun!
>
> --
> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-owww.schnauzers.ws

I'm with Mitch, but would add a Titus Motolite to your list, and drop
the ASX, which (although a great bike) would be as heavy as the
Heckler, which could get to be a drag on long climbs for all but very
burly climbers. FWIW, there are a lot of Enduros around here
(central & SW Idaho) and the owners tend to ride the he!! out of them
and love them.

CDB

On Jun 12, 8:46 pm, Paladin <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jun 11, 4:34 pm, Ride-A-Lot <mitchell@[nospam]schnauzers.ws> wrote:
>

> > Jack wrote:
> > > Hi there, can anyone provide some thoughts around which may be a
> > > better mountainbike(pros cons or misc. comments) ?

> > > Thank you,

> > > Jack

> > Have you tried each one? You are about to get blasted by many different
> > opinions and trust me, you'll never make up your mind by listening to
> > what we post here.

> > In my opinion :)...

> > Try out these beafier rigs (seems like that's what you are after):

> > Ventana X-5
> > Turner 5-Spot
> > Yeti ASX

> > Have fun!

> > --
> > o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-owww.schnauzers.ws

> I'm with Mitch, but would add a Titus Motolite to your list, and drop
> the ASX, which (although a greatbike) would be as heavy as the
> Heckler, which could get to be a drag on long climbs for all but very
> burly climbers. FWIW, there are a lot of Enduros around here
> (central & SW Idaho) and the owners tend to ride the he!! out of them
> and love them.
>
> CDB- Hide quoted text -

Hi, thanks for the replies - can anyone comment on the Giant Reign 1
vs. Specialized Enduro ? This appears to be very similiar to the
Enduro, maybe at a lower cost although I have not ridden it.

Also does anyone know what heights fit a 20" frame - I am 6'4" .. ?

Thanks,
Jack

On Jun 14, 7:45 am, Jack <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jun 12, 8:46 pm, Paladin <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Have you tried each one? You are about to get blasted by many different
> > > opinions and trust me, you'll never make up your mind by listening to
> > > what we post here.

> > > In my opinion :)...

> > > Try out these beafier rigs (seems like that's what you are after):

> > > Ventana X-5
> > > Turner 5-Spot
> > > Yeti ASX

> > > Have fun!

> > > --
> > > o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-owww.schnauzers.ws

> > I'm with Mitch, but would add a Titus Motolite to your list, and drop
> > the ASX, which (although a greatbike) would be as heavy as the
> > Heckler, which could get to be a drag on long climbs for all but very
> > burly climbers. FWIW, there are a lot of Enduros around here
> > (central & SW Idaho) and the owners tend to ride the he!! out of them
> > and love them.

> >CDB- Hide quoted text -

> Hi, thanks for the replies - can anyone comment on the Giant Reign 1
> vs. Specialized Enduro ? This appears to be very similiar to the
> Enduro, maybe at a lower cost although I have not ridden it.
>
> Also does anyone know what heights fit a 20" frame - I am 6'4" .. ?
>
> Thanks,
> Jack

You've really gotta throw a leg over and see what fits. Eff top tube
length is just as important, imo, as ceter of bb to seat post. And
you'd likely need at least 20" if not more depending on the geometry
of the particular frame, your own inseam, and a few other significant
factors that take us back to my first sentence. Good luck and have
fun.

CDB