Specialized Hardrock issues

shiloh26

Mar 11, 2008
Bought a Spezialised Hardrock mountain bike for my son in july 2007 (came with 12 months warranty). After 4 weeks the back derailluer came off into the spokes - took it to the shop we purchased it from and after fixing it they said it's impossible for that to happen so therefore not fixed under warranty. Last month took it in again to have a service and they said the crank is bent - would cost over $300 to fix it and again...not under warranty - declaring misuse. Shop is being really belligerent and unhelpful. GGRRRRRR! Coincidently another kid we know with the same bike has had similar issues with his crank. Anyone got any advice or heard of similar problems?

shiloh26 said:
Bought a Spezialised Hardrock mountain bike for my son in july 2007 (came with 12 months warranty). After 4 weeks the back derailluer came off into the spokes - took it to the shop we purchased it from and after fixing it they said it's impossible for that to happen so therefore not fixed under warranty. Last month took it in again to have a service and they said the crank is bent - would cost over $300 to fix it and again...not under warranty - declaring misuse. Shop is being really belligerent and unhelpful. GGRRRRRR! Coincidently another kid we know with the same bike has had similar issues with his crank. Anyone got any advice or heard of similar problems?
First, you need a new bike shop ... if there is only ONE bike shop within 25+ (?) miles of where you live, then you need to learn to do ALL the maintenance yourself + direct all your future purchases to the internet-or-mail-order.

Contact SPECIALIZED's customer service:

[email protected] or call toll-free at (877) 808-8154​

The information is for pending ORDERS, but they should re-direct you, accordingly. Theoretically, for OTHER issues, you can contact:

OR, use your own dime to call them at:

(408) 779-6229​

I would send an e-mail + CC'd e-mail to one-or-the-other-of-the-two e-mail addresses.

Presumably, you paid a premium for BOTH the brand name (which is being diminshed by the dealer's attitude) over buying a $100-bike from Wally World, KMart, or Target AND the pre-sale prep & after-sale service which you would not receive at the big-box stores. Apparently, you have only received the former (i.e., the brand name bike) and have not received either of the latter (prep & service). I would like to think that SPECIALIZED (whose quality control seems to be lacking as of late based on problems stated in the past couple of days) would like to BOTH know that there is a problem AND that they would try to correct the problem at their expense.

BTW. It is almost incredible to me that the crank bent on two different bikes regardless of the abuse which they experienced because those bikes are designed for abuse. OR, is it that one of the chainrings is bent?

ALSO, and this harkens back to my earlier comment, you have to learn to do the maintenance yourself. There is no way on God's-Green-Earth that replacing the crank should cost $300! I don't know which crank is on your son's bike ... so, not to suggest that it is the least expensive Hardrock, but the crank is probably only a $25 crankset (OEM cost and/or what you would have to pay on eBay) ...

What crank is on your son's bike? AND, your son's friend's bike?

What derailleur was on your son's bike AND how much were you charged to replace/fix it?!?