Specialized Hardrock or Trek 4500???

Snyperx

Guest
I have been shopping for a new mountina bike now for about 2 weeks and have come down to two bikes.
The Specialized Hardrock or the Trek 4500. Does anyone have any thoughts on either of these bikes.?
My goal is to stay around $400 and to have a bike that will allow me to do some decent off roading.
Thank for any input.

On Sun, 11 May 2003, Snyperx wrote:

> I have been shopping for a new mountina bike now for about 2 weeks and have come down to two
> bikes. The Specialized Hardrock or the Trek 4500. Does anyone have any thoughts on either of these
> bikes.? My goal is to stay around $400 and to have a bike that will allow me to do some decent off
> roading. Thank for any input.

They'll tell you to spend more, and they're probably right, but your budget is your budget, and you
have to eat and pay your rent, so...

I looked at the Trek 4500 and the Specialized Hardrock Comp a few months ago... I ended up going
with Specialized largely because I agreed with the general "philosophy" of the LBS that sold the
Specialized. IIRC, the componentry is pretty similar, so go with whichever shop treats you better.

-Tim

I've had a Spec HardRock for 3 years now - the rigid steel one they don't seem to produce anymore. I
love the beast, which cost just under $300, and bought my youngest the version with a sus fork. He
likes his, too. I have not found a place where I thought "Oh, cr*p, shoulda bought a more expensive
bike", but then I don't beat up on it much because I know I can't afford to replace it for a while.
;-) Not much else to say, apart from "Go ride both, buy the one that feels best"

Steve