Specialized Hardrock Sport 2007 help

Smallgod

Jan 16, 2008
Hi,
I bought a Hardrock sport 2007 towards end of last year, My first decent bike after having a fair few donkeys over the years, But my job moved offices nearer me so I decided to get a decent one as I would be using it everyday for an hour.

Couple of questions:

Bike has been ok until now, the rear derailleur when in the lowest gear (Smallest cogs back and front) chain won’t guide right onto the first guide cog as it comes underneath and up, its almost as if the gear mech tension has been loosened and they are sitting too far back, as a result in the very bottom gears as you ride along it feels like you are skipping cogs and I’m sure its wearing the derailleur cogs down. I’ve adjusted the set of screws that control the high and low gear movement limit and also the one on the main fixing thread that controls the movement of the whole unit but still same. In middle and high gears it’s no problem but that bottom few is annoying me now.

Anyone any ideas?

Second question is, as I’ve never had disc brakes before where is the cheapest place to get brake pads online?

Cheers

Sg

Smallgod said:
Hi,
I bought a Hardrock sport 2007 towards end of last year, My first decent bike after having a fair few donkeys over the years, But my job moved offices nearer me so I decided to get a decent one as I would be using it everyday for an hour.

Couple of questions:

Bike has been ok until now, the rear derailleur when in the lowest gear (Smallest cogs back and front) chain won’t guide right onto the first guide cog as it comes underneath and up, its almost as if the gear mech tension has been loosened and they are sitting too far back, as a result in the very bottom gears as you ride along it feels like you are skipping cogs and I’m sure its wearing the derailleur cogs down. I’ve adjusted the set of screws that control the high and low gear movement limit and also the one on the main fixing thread that controls the movement of the whole unit but still same. In middle and high gears it’s no problem but that bottom few is annoying me now.

Anyone any ideas?

Second question is, as I’ve never had disc brakes before where is the cheapest place to get brake pads online?

Cheers

Sg
Possibly bent derailer hanger, and/or bent derailer, and/or cable housing/or housing ends are "messed up". Was the onset sudden? .... and possibly related to something you can think of that might be the cause.

sounds like your der may be bent...also riding in the small/small is not a good idea since you are crossing the chain....you can find other gear combos to give u this same ratio.

Smallgod said:
As blueturtle241 has noted, you don't want to use a small-small combination UNLESS it is an accidental shift ...

As I understand your description, the reason that the rear derailleur cage is acting the way it does when it is in the small-small is because you have about 2-to-3 inches (4-to-6 links) too many links on your chain for the rear derailleur's cage. Removing 4 links (presuming you have a rear derilleur with the proper length cage) from your chain should mitigate/eliminate the problem ...

While you don't want to use a large-large combination, you want enough chain to allow that combination otherwise you might damage a part of the drivetrain if you were to accidentally shift into that combination ...

So, if you go to your bike AND put the chain on the large-large combination, the rear derailleur's pulley arm will be pulled forward (probably, pointing to about 4 o'clock) ... if the deralleur cage is pointed to 6 o'clock, you have at least 1" too much chain ...

If the chain is on the large-large combination and the derailleur cage is pointed to 7 o'clock, you need a new rear derailleur with a longer cage.

alfeng said:
As blueturtle241 has noted, you don't want to use a small-small combination UNLESS it is an accidental shift ...

As I understand your description, the reason that the rear derailleur cage is acting the way it does when it is in the small-small is because you have about 2-to-3 inches (4-to-6 links) too many links on your chain for the rear derailleur's cage. Removing 4 links (presuming you have a rear derilleur with the proper length cage) from your chain should mitigate/eliminate the problem ...

While you don't want to use a large-large combination, you want enough chain to allow that combination otherwise you might damage a part of the drivetrain if you were to accidentally shift into that combination ...

So, if you go to your bike AND put the chain on the large-large combination, the rear derailleur's pulley arm will be pulled forward (probably, pointing to about 4 o'clock) ... if the deralleur cage is pointed to 6 o'clock, you have at least 1" too much chain ...

If the chain is on the large-large combination and the derailleur cage is pointed to 7 o'clock, you need a new rear derailleur with a longer cage.

These bikes are assembled at an assembler and I would be surprized if the chain was that 'too long'.

As for big/big and 7 oclock....don't think you mean that...and needing a longer cage RD. If the cage is too short, a too short cage will point forward, meaning at about 4 oclock..but again, these are spec'ed by the factory and I would doubt they would spec a too short cage or too long chain..my opinion.