Specialized Hardrock vs Gary Fisher Wahoo

Sailh2o

Guest
I am a newbie to mountain biking and need help making a decision between a 2003 Specialized Hardrock
Comp and 2004 Gary Fisher Wahoo. I have test ridden both and really like them equally.

The price and components are the same, so it's just down to the minor details. Here are some
questions:

Which is the better brand? Which model will last longer? Is the Hardrock's 3D box tube truly better
or just a design ploy? Why would the Wahoo be any better or is it just the "Gary Fisher" brandname?

Other thoughts the Hardrock frame does look cool, however the new paint work on the new 2004 Wahoo
is out of this world!!! I do have both waiting for me already built in the store ready for me to
buy tomorrow.

Thanks for the help!!!!

**************************
Links: 2003 Specialized Hardrock Comp: http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkModel.jsp?san=03HardrockComp-
&bl=mountain&JServSessionIdroot=sba8otv3hs.j27002

2004 Gary Fisher Wahoo (Currently I have only seen the 2004 at the site below.)
http://goodalesbikeshop.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=222

2003 Gary Fisher Wahoo (for fyi):
http://www.fisherbikes.com/bikes/bike_detail.asp?series=classic&bike=Wahoo

> I am a newbie to mountain biking and need help making a decision between a 2003 Specialized
> Hardrock Comp and 2004 Gary Fisher Wahoo. I have test ridden both and really like them equally.
>
> The price and components are the same, so it's just down to the minor details. Here are some
> questions:
>
> Which is the better brand? Which model will last longer? Is the Hardrock's 3D box tube truly
> better or just a design ploy? Why would the Wahoo be any better or is it just the "Gary Fisher"
> brandname?

Ride them both - one will feel more 'comfortable' than the other - that is the model to go for...

> Which is the better brand? Which model will last longer? Is the Hardrock's 3D box tube truly
> better or just a design ploy? Why would the Wahoo be any better or is it just the "Gary Fisher"
> brandname?

Specialized. Their frames have a lifetime warranty. The heavy head tube reinforcement on the
Hardrock is indeed strong, and many hucksters on a budget are buying the Hardrock Pro to use a dirt
jumper bike.

-John Morgan

Sailh2o wrote:
> I am a newbie to mountain biking and need help making a decision between a 2003 Specialized
> Hardrock Comp and 2004 Gary Fisher Wahoo. I have test ridden both and really like them equally.
>
> The price and components are the same, so it's just down to the minor details. Here are some
> questions:

Price and components should not be the same for '03 v. '04 model. Give it a couple of weeks and the
'03 models will be discounted and you'll be able to pick up something higher spec.

"Mark Webb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<bUW1b.239072$o%2.108230@sccrnsc02>... sailh2o wrote:
> > I have test ridden both and really like them equally.

> Ride them both - one will feel more 'comfortable' than the other - that is the model to go for...

What part of his feeling that he likes them both equally after test riding them didn't you get?

I'll echo the Specialized sentiment and say stay away from Narcissus Fisher's bikes. They are just
treks with an even more lame name.

JD

Hehe, good point - guess I was too tired to read the post properly :)

I am in agreement with the others, and have never been disappointed with Specialized (I just bought
bike #3 from them)

> "Mark Webb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> sailh2o wrote:
> > > I have test ridden both and really like them equally.
>
> > Ride them both - one will feel more 'comfortable' than the other - that
is
> > the model to go for...
>
> What part of his feeling that he likes them both equally after test riding them didn't you get?
>
> I'll echo the Specialized sentiment and say stay away from Narcissus Fisher's bikes. They are just
> treks with an even more lame name.
>
> JD

> Sailh2o wrote:
> > I am a newbie to mountain biking and need help making a decision between a 2003 Specialized
> > Hardrock Comp and 2004 Gary Fisher Wahoo. I have test ridden both and really like them equally.
> >
> > The price and components are the same, so it's just down to the minor details. Here are some
> > questions:
>
> Price and components should not be the same for '03 v. '04 model. Give it a couple of weeks and
> the '03 models will be discounted and you'll be able to pick up something higher spec.

That's probably the best advice...wait a bit and get a better '03 model at a low price. Maybe even
something with nine speeds :)

If you plan on _really_ riding this bike, I'd save/wait regardless. Some components - namely the
Judy and the Alex rims - are better off in a parts bin than on a trail.

Chris

Sailh2o said...

> I am a newbie to mountain biking and need help making a decision between a 2003 Specialized
> Hardrock Comp and 2004 Gary Fisher Wahoo. I have test ridden both and really like them equally.
>
> The price and components are the same, so it's just down to the minor details. Here are some
> questions:
>
> Which is the better brand? Which model will last longer? Is the Hardrock's 3D box tube truly
> better or just a design ploy? Why would the Wahoo be any better or is it just the "Gary Fisher"
> brandname?
>
> Other thoughts the Hardrock frame does look cool, however the new paint work on the new 2004 Wahoo
> is out of this world!!! I do have both waiting for me already built in the store ready for me to
> buy tomorrow.
>
> Thanks for the help!!!!

In that price range, get a used bike.

"Sailh2o" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I am a newbie to mountain biking and need help making a decision between a 2003 Specialized
> Hardrock Comp and 2004 Gary Fisher Wahoo. I have test ridden both and really like them equally.
>
> The price and components are the same, so it's just down to the minor details. Here are some
> questions:
>
> Which is the better brand?

Trek owns Gary Fisher, so basically identical.

> Which model will last longer?

No difference.

> Is the Hardrock's 3D box tube truly better or just a design ploy? Why would the Wahoo be any
> better or is it just the "Gary Fisher" brandname?

It could have better fit and frame geometry (thus, a better ride).

> Other thoughts the Hardrock frame does look cool, however the new paint work on the new 2004 Wahoo
> is out of this world!!! I do have both waiting for me already built in the store ready for me to
> buy tomorrow.

If the components are identical, then ride each of them several times in "real world" conditions
(not in the parking lot), and go with your gut instinct. They're both fine bikes for the price.

Barry

Barry says:

>If the components are identical, then ride each of them several times in "real world" conditions
>(not in the parking lot), and go with your gut instinct. They're both fine bikes for the price.

What he said - and DO NOT let the "new paint work" on the Wahoo lead you astray. You won't notice it
while riding, or on the roof of your car while driving, but you will notice the better performance
of whichever bike has it (if ya see what I mean) Paint can be fixed....

Steve