Specialized Hardrock

JoeAAA

Jun 11, 2003
I can buy a 2003 Specialized Hardrock Pro for $499 from my LBS (He said list was $600 but Specialized's website sez $560). I'm looking to replace an old Trek no suspension mtn bike. I'm 6'0" and 219 lbs. Thought the Hardrock Pro rode better than Trek 4500.

Is the 2004 model at $610 that much better? Any other recommendations for $500 on a new hardtail? I ride mostly easy stuff, bike trails and some off-road stuff. Most of my time is spent on a road bike but I love bike trails and off-road. No jumping or any other wild stuff (hey at 52 I have enough scars). I ride once or twice a week on a mtn bike for 2 to 5 hrs each time.

Other bikes on my short list include:
Giant Iguana
Giant Yukon
Trek 4900
Cannondale F400
Gary Fisher Wahoo or Marlin

Thanks.:D

I had a '98 GF Marlin once, and for the time, it was a really great bike. Of course now, I've moved way up to the full suspension bikes, but I have to say, for the money, that was a dang good little bike. You might like that one. I'd recommend it, but I'm also bias though because I'm a huge Fisher bike fan so, you know. But, I like Specialized too, and I've rode my friend's Hardrock before and I wasn't too bad either. I'd still toss my vote in for the Marlin though.

Originally posted by JoeAAA

I can buy a 2003 Specialized Hardrock Pro for $499 from my LBS (He said list was $600 but Specialized's website sez $560). I'm looking to replace an old Trek no suspension mtn bike. I'm 6'0" and 219 lbs. Thought the Hardrock Pro rode better than Trek 4500.

Is the 2004 model at $610 that much better? Any other recommendations for $500 on a new hardtail? I ride mostly easy stuff, bike trails and some off-road stuff. Most of my time is spent on a road bike but I love bike trails and off-road. No jumping or any other wild stuff (hey at 52 I have enough scars). I ride once or twice a week on a mtn bike for 2 to 5 hrs each time.

Giant Iguana
Giant Yukon

You also have to remember that the Gary Fisher Marlin, the frame is built and everything assmebled and tuned in the U.S., specialized bikes are made in taiwan.
Trek 4900
Cannondale F400

What's the difference between the Specialized Hardrock series hardtail and the Specialized Rockhopper series hardtail? Are the frames/bikes designed for different purposes?

Also, today I found a leftover 2003 Cannondale F300 for $450. It doesn't have disc brakes, but are the Shimano mechanical disc brakes that much better?

What's the difference between the Specialized Hardrock series hardtail and the Specialized Rockhopper series hardtail? Are the frames/bikes designed for different purposes?

Also, today I found a leftover 2003 Cannondale F300 for $450. It doesn't have disc brakes, but are the Shimano mechanical disc brakes that much better?

Any comments on the Raleigh M80?

I just bought a '03 HR pro for $429 here in tulsa. They had a few left. Email me if you're still looking.

The Hardrock has a beefier frame than the Rockhopper... which also means its slightly heavier.

I have a Hardrock Sport and Ive been happy with it. I dont have disc brakes but its no big deal for me since i dont ride in the wet. I'll go to discs the same time i go FS and tubeless.

Have you tried any of those bikes out?

the 2004 Hardrock Pro is $560 around here... a 2004 Cannondale F300 is $530...

I took a test ride on a '05 Rockhopper today and ended up having them slap a sold sticker on it. my LBS has good prices -- before tax it was $445. The frame on the bike was what convinced me to buy it instead of the Hard Rock - it is a bit lighter. The frame is definitely worthy of some upgrades.

JoeAAA said:

Giant Iguana
Giant Yukon
Trek 4900
Cannondale F400

I was torn between the Rockhopper and Hardrock myself. Ended up buyng a 04 Rockhopper for $500 because I felt the components were alot better (LX). It was also lighter and I'm coming from a cheap GT MTB with a steel frame so I'm desperate for anything lighter.

I have yet to receive delivery of it but Its on its way. My goal was to buy an entry level to intermediate level hardtail which I could build upon as I advance. I don't want disc brakes but want the option for them, which the Rockhopper has mounts for. I also like the geometry of the Rockhopper vs. the hardrock.

I'm very partial to specialized because I've had such goodluck with them and because my LBS knows how to treat people.