Specialized Mondo Pro

cdy291

Nov 23, 2006
I got some Mondo Pro tires the other day to use for training. One thing I noticed about them is there recominded pressure is 115- 125 psi. 115 seems a little high for what they are calling "min. recominded pressure". I was acustumed to using pressures more like 110 psi with my other tires. Whats every ones opinion on this? Is that rating just some BS.

cdy291 said:
I got some Mondo Pro tires the other day to use for training. One thing I noticed about them is there recominded pressure is 115- 125 psi. 115 seems a little high for what they are calling "min. recominded pressure". I was acustumed to using pressures more like 110 psi with my other tires. Whats every ones opinion on this? Is that rating just some BS.
I've read every review I could find and it seems to be prone to punctures and wear out fast.

The tyres has done nearly 1000 kms on tar road. Still look pretty good. Went through glass enough times to say I'm probably a lucky *******, for now. Never had a puncture yet.

I never knew how much pressure I pump. I just pump it till the tyres are hard, and normally it's the point where I can't inflat anymore. I use TOPEAK MICRO ROCKET MASTER BLASTER. It claims to be able top reach 160psi

I've always thought it would be at least 90psi but the gauge reads 80psi with my friend's pump! Seems like the tyres have been very under-inflated?

I did 120KM yesterday with 120 PSI for the first time with my friends floor-pump. The tyres were rock hard, never thought it could go any harder than prior to that.

Journey was partially hilly. Went through some glass and potentially dangerous items at few points and thought I was very lucky to survive the trip without any puncture.

I thought the wheels roll better compared to what I normally ride with 80psi. From what I gathered, under-inflated tyres may give comfort, but reduces performance and more prone to puncture. Over-inflated tyres may be less uncomfortable, peak performance, and also more prone to punctures. Correct/reccomended pressure is the best?

Why different tyres recommend different PSI, common sense tells me that PSI should go according to the type of tube instead of the tyre, since the tube is the one receiving the air pressure, but I'm sure wrong. Need someone to enlighten!

Conclusion I have is I've been riding both 80psi(900km) and 120psi(100km), went through glasses a number of times while skipping a heartbeat hoping I won't suffer a puncture. 1000KM all on the Mondo, still going good.

That's typical recommended pressures of other Specialized tyres. It doesn't make sense to me either. I ride with 95 /100 front, 100 /110 rear unless in a race on smooth roads, then I may add another 10 psi :) btw I'm 79 kgs

- I had these tyres too.

- not good. Prone to punctures , and the surface will tear.

pistole said:
- I had these tyres too.

- not good. Prone to punctures , and the surface will tear.

I've had no punctures or other problem with my Mondo Pro tyres in the 1500 km that I have had them. I use about 105 psi in the back, 100 psi in the front, and weigh 160 lb (73 kg).