Specialized MTB Shoes

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jay Beattie, Jan 20, 2006.

  1. Jay Beattie

    Jay Beattie Guest

    Anyone have an opinion on the '05 Specialized Carbon Comp or Comp
    MTB shoes -- apart from fit issues. I just want to know if they
    are durable or have any quality issues. I'm looking to buy a new
    MTB shoe and these seem to fit well and be in my price range. --
    Jay Beattie.

    Tags:

  2. Llatikcuf

    Llatikcuf Guest

    Jay Beattie wrote:
    > Anyone have an opinion on the '05 Specialized Carbon Comp or Comp
    > MTB shoes -- apart from fit issues. I just want to know if they
    > are durable or have any quality issues. I'm looking to buy a new
    > MTB shoe and these seem to fit well and be in my price range. --

    I've ridden the comp for about 5 years, there the only shoe that fits
    my square feet. The only complaint is the sole is made of soft rubber
    and falls apart pretty easy. Not a big deal if you spend most of your
    time on the bike. Good shoe though.

    -Nate

  3. Paul Cassel

    Paul Cassel Guest

    Llatikcuf wrote:

    > I've ridden the comp for about 5 years, there the only shoe that fits
    > my square feet. The only complaint is the sole is made of soft rubber
    > and falls apart pretty easy. Not a big deal if you spend most of your
    > time on the bike. Good shoe though.

    I have a wide foot - maybe a EE. Is that what you mean by 'square' feet?
    My current shoes are a bit of pinch so I'm looking for a new shoe and
    maybe show / pedal combo.

    -paul

  4. Victor Kan

    Victor Kan Guest

    Paul Cassel wrote:
    > I have a wide foot - maybe a EE. Is that what you mean by 'square' feet?
    > My current shoes are a bit of pinch so I'm looking for a new shoe and
    > maybe show / pedal combo.

    "Square" feet might also be called flipper (think swim fins) feet or
    Flintstone feet.

    I have such feet and Specialized MTB shoes fet me quite nicely.

    In my experience, some other shoe brands marketing wide versions, e.g.
    Lake cycling shoes and New Balance sneakers in general, seem to be
    shaped for people who have wide feet due to bunions--wide at the ball of
    the foot with pointy toes. That type of wide shoe is worthless to me.

    --
    I do not accept unsolicited commercial e-mail. Remove NO_UCE for
    legitimate replies.

  5. Llatikcuf

    Llatikcuf Guest

    Paul Cassel wrote:

    > I have a wide foot - maybe a EE. Is that what you mean by 'square' feet?
    > My current shoes are a bit of pinch so I'm looking for a new shoe and
    > maybe show / pedal combo.

    I'm a 10.5 EE with a high arch. Sidi Mega's don't fit, guess they are
    made for wide flat feet. I have had good luck with Specialized and
    Cannondale shoes.

    -Nate

  6. Steve B.

    Steve B. Guest

    "Jay Beattie" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > Anyone have an opinion on the '05 Specialized Carbon Comp or Comp
    > MTB shoes -- apart from fit issues. I just want to know if they
    > are durable or have any quality issues. I'm looking to buy a new
    > MTB shoe and these seem to fit well and be in my price range. --
    > Jay Beattie.

    I've had 2 pair of Specialized Mt. Bike shoes. Older models, no longer on
    the website. Mine were black w/ red logo/lettering, had laces as well as a
    full lace cover with velcro. They also had a velcro strap across the back
    of the heel to tighten up the heel counter.

    Both pair had the cleat pull out of the soles, the first after a year of
    use, the 2nd pair after a couple years moderate to light use.

    This has never happened to my Shimano shoes, which hve much more usage

    I recently found a pair of Diadora Geko's, which fit my 4E foot better then
    any shoe I've used.

    SB

  7. Llatikcuf wrote:
    > Paul Cassel wrote:
    >>>

    >> I have a wide foot - maybe a EE. Is that what you mean by 'square'
    >> feet? My current shoes are a bit of pinch so I'm looking for a new
    >> shoe and maybe show / pedal combo.

    > I'm a 10.5 EE with a high arch. Sidi Mega's don't fit, guess they are
    > made for wide flat feet. I have had good luck with Specialized and
    > Cannondale shoes.

    I agree. I have wide flat feet, and Lakes (and probably Sidis) fit me well,
    whereas Specialized's lumpy sole is absolutely painful!

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training