Specialized or Giant entry level

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Dante Catoni, May 23, 2003.

  1. Dante Catoni

    Dante Catoni Guest

    I'm looking for an entry level bike for my fiancee. She tried out the Giant Boulder SE and liked it.
    but I've been reading reviews and specs online and it seems like the Hardrock may be a better
    choice. Any opinions? What about the Trek 4100?

    Thanks Dante

    Tags:

  2. Ken

    Ken Guest

    "Dante Catoni" <[email protected]> wrote in news:dezza.2279$fT5.710 @nwrdny01.gnilink.net:

    > I'm looking for an entry level bike for my fiancee. She tried out the Giant Boulder SE and liked
    > it. but I've been reading reviews and specs online and it seems like the Hardrock may be a
    > better choice.

    Not much difference between Giant and Specialized. I wouldn't be suprised if they were both made in
    the same factory.

  3. Dante says:

    >I'm looking for an entry level bike for my fiancee. She tried out the Giant Boulder SE and liked
    >it. but I've been reading reviews and specs online and it seems like the Hardrock may be a better
    >choice. Any opinions? What about the Trek 4100?

    I can't comment on the Trek or the Giant, but I have had the lowest-end HardRock for 3 years and
    have yet (crosses fingers, touches wood) to break it. Put me down for a vote for the HardRock.

    Steve

  4. Tacomaboy

    Tacomaboy Guest

    Woahh... I JUST bought my finacee the blue Hard Rock, and she absolutly loves it. Highly
    recommended... wierd...

    "Dante Catoni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm looking for an entry level bike for my fiancee. She tried out the
    Giant
    > Boulder SE and liked it. but I've been reading reviews and specs online
    and
    > it seems like the Hardrock may be a better choice. Any opinions? What
    about
    > the Trek 4100?
    >
    > Thanks Dante

  5. David Bailey

    David Bailey Guest

    Dante Catoni <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'm looking for an entry level bike for my fiancee. She tried out the
    Giant
    > Boulder SE and liked it. but I've been reading reviews and specs online
    and
    > it seems like the Hardrock may be a better choice. Any opinions? What
    about
    > the Trek 4100?
    >
    > Thanks Dante

    Gaint and Specialized ARE made in the same factory, dollar for dollar the Giant might be better
    value but for parts. Specialized put some pretty average parts of their own branding on their bikes,
    best to try and get as much Shimano components as possible.

  6. MTBScottie

    MTBScottie Guest

    "David Bailey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Dante Catoni <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I'm looking for an entry level bike for my fiancee. She tried out the
    > Giant
    > > Boulder SE and liked it. but I've been reading reviews and specs online
    > and
    > > it seems like the Hardrock may be a better choice. Any opinions? What
    > about
    > > the Trek 4100?
    > >
    > > Thanks Dante
    > >
    > Gaint and Specialized ARE made in the same factory

    Are you certain of that?

  7. Joel Mueller

    Joel Mueller Guest

    I just bought a Trek 4500 for myself and I love it. I also looked at the Jamis Dakota Sport and the
    Fisher Marlin. They are all comparable. I bought the Trek because I thought it had better forks
    which are more expensive to replace than the drivetrain parts.

    "Dante Catoni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm looking for an entry level bike for my fiancee. She tried out the
    Giant
    > Boulder SE and liked it. but I've been reading reviews and specs online
    and
    > it seems like the Hardrock may be a better choice. Any opinions? What
    about
    > the Trek 4100?
    >
    > Thanks Dante

  8. Reco Diver

    Reco Diver Guest

    > "David Bailey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Dante Catoni <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > I'm looking for an entry level bike for my fiancee. She tried out the
    > Giant
    > > > Boulder SE and liked it. but I've been reading reviews and specs online
    > and
    > > > it seems like the Hardrock may be a better choice. Any opinions? What
    > about
    > > > the Trek 4100?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks Dante
    > > >
    > > Gaint and Specialized ARE made in the same factory
    >
    > Are you certain of that?

    Bailey is right ... at least some of the Specialized line is produced by Giant.

    They have also (past and sometimes present) used Asahi (who also made pre-Trek Fisher), Toyo (who
    also does work for Ritchey and the first year of Voodoo) and Yakota .... actually their list of
    suppliers goes on and on.

  9. Dante Catoni

    Dante Catoni Guest

    We went back to the bike shop today, but they didn't have an aluminum ladies Hardrock to ride. So
    they are going to build one and she'll try it out on Wednesday morning. Thanks for the opinions.

  10. Tacomaboy

    Tacomaboy Guest

    My finacee went with a mens bike. Shes had no problems with it at all yet. Its the Blue Hard ROck
    (not pro or anything)...

    "Dante Catoni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > We went back to the bike shop today, but they didn't have an aluminum
    ladies
    > Hardrock to ride. So they are going to build one and she'll try it out on Wednesday morning.
    > Thanks for the opinions.

  11. Dante Catoni

    Dante Catoni Guest

    > My finacee went with a mens bike. Shes had no problems with it at all
    yet.
    > Its the Blue Hard ROck (not pro or anything)...

    She is only 4'11" and I think the ladies frames have a shorter top tube. Don't they?

  12. Tacomaboy

    Tacomaboy Guest

    Possibly. I couldn't tell. Stacey is 5"6" or so, so that wasnt so much an issue. Wouldnt hurt to
    have her test ride em though. Thats what I let Stacey do, she basically rode a few and chose the one
    she liked. STill... I get the feeling color had more of a role in the decision lol.

    "Dante Catoni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > My finacee went with a mens bike. Shes had no problems with it at all
    > yet.
    > > Its the Blue Hard ROck (not pro or anything)...
    >
    > She is only 4'11" and I think the ladies frames have a shorter top tube. Don't they?

  13. MTBScottie

    MTBScottie Guest

    [email protected] (Reco Diver) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]osting.google.com>...
    > [email protected] wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "David Bailey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > Dante Catoni <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...
    > Giant
    > and
    > about

    > > > Gaint and Specialized ARE made in the same factory
    > >
    > > Are you certain of that?
    >
    > Bailey is right ... at least some of the Specialized line is produced by Giant.
    >
    > They have also (past and sometimes present) used Asahi (who also made pre-Trek Fisher), Toyo (who
    > also does work for Ritchey and the first year of Voodoo) and Yakota .... actually their list of
    > suppliers goes on and on.

    Thanks, I had thought that Specialied was tied with Gary Fisher/Trek/Klein, but do now remember
    talking with someone in one of the local Giant shops and them mentioning the link to Specialized.

  14. Reco Diver

    Reco Diver Guest

    > [email protected] (Reco Diver) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > [email protected] wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > "David Bailey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:<[email protected]>...

    <snip>

    > > > Are you certain of that?
    > >
    > > Bailey is right ... at least some of the Specialized line is produced by Giant.
    > >
    > > They have also (past and sometimes present) used Asahi (who also made pre-Trek Fisher), Toyo
    > > (who also does work for Ritchey and the first year of Voodoo) and Yakota .... actually their
    > > list of suppliers goes on and on.

    > Thanks, I had thought that Specialied was tied with Gary Fisher/Trek/Klein, but do now remember
    > talking with someone in one of the local Giant shops and them mentioning the link to Specialized.

    The link between Specialized and Giant is one of "designer" and producer. There are no combined
    coporated holdings, unlike the T(wrec)k, Fisher, Klein, Bontrager Cluster "F"(although Ritchey and
    Specialized did hook up for a while). Specialized has always been a design/importer. When Sinyard
    had Specialized in downtown San Jose (before Morgan Hill) it was more or less an
    importer/distributor. The hottest thing they had were the "M" chainrings that allowed you to turn a
    Campy double into a triple, and silca pumps. One day Sinyard gets the bright idea to send a "Fishy"
    to the orient ... and the rest is history (although Ben Lawee was right there too). Specialized has
    always had their bikes produced by others. Just who is producing a particular part of the line from
    year to year is always in question, but you can always bet that Giant will have a major share.