Specialized Rbx Cycling Shoes

jpwkeeper

Jul 25, 2004
Does anyone have any experience with this shoe:

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftr/shoes/road-shoes/sport-rbx

So I'm shopping for my first cycling shoes (currently use PowerGrips and rather flexible sneakers), and I swung by my LBS which is a specialized shop. This shoe is classified as a road shoe, but takes a 2 bolt cleat instead of a 3 bolt.

I did not try on the 3 bolt version of this shoe as they didn't have my size, but I did try on the step up from it (I think the only difference is the closure, which is the dial and wire thing vs. velcro straps) but I had serious pressure points on my arch even without tightening the shoe, and even after changing foot beds a few times. The 2 bolt version, however, had none and felt very nice (didn't try pedaling with it, though).

However, I'm a bit leery of purchasing something without any research, and it's hard to get any real information from the on-line reviews at stores, and no website I could google seems to have reviewed them.

If not, any general information on the topic of either a similar shoe, or Specialized shoes in general, would be helpful.

The RBX is most commonly used as a spin shoe as it has a rubber sole. It only accepts 2-hole MTB cleats so it severely limits pedal choices.

I love specialized shoes, so I'm not knocking them. The elite for an extra $25 is a better option with the ratchet style top style. If you can swing the $160, the Comp is a solid choice with the Boa closure, though I hate this years blue color.

Shimano SPD is an excellent pedal system for casual, touring, or beginning road cyclists. Being a pretty hard-core roadie, I used to feel dismissive toward road cyclists who felt compelled to use mountain bike pedals and shoes. Now that I have SPDs on my commuter, though, I see their point.

When you buy into pedals and shoes you buy into a system, whether it's two-bolt or three-bolt. Trying to migrate from one to the other without changing shoes, to me, is rather pointless. Shoes and cleats wear out. Should you decide to go to a three-bolt system later on, you might as well get new shoes. For now, enjoy your SPD pedals with a shoe that is designed to work with them, with no compromises.

My only reservation would be the 1.5 degree varus wedge that Specialized builds into all its shoes. While this might help most riders achieve good knee and ankle alignment, it exacerbates my hallux rigidus.

I have never even thought to use a cycling shoe. I'm going to look into it now because you piqued my curiosity on the subject.

ABNPFDR said:
The RBX is most commonly used as a spin shoe as it has a rubber sole. It only accepts 2-hole MTB cleats so it severely limits pedal choices.

I love specialized shoes, so I'm not knocking them. The elite for an extra $25 is a better option with the ratchet style top style. If you can swing the $160, the Comp is a solid choice with the Boa closure, though I hate this years blue color.
The 160$ one with the boa closure is the one where I had pressure point issues, both with wide and narrow geometry.

To muddy the waters further, I went back today and they had the 3 bolt version in my size. They're REALLY similar in how they feel, and they are identical in both price and aesthetic, so I'm debating between the 2 bolt recessed cleat (easier for walking) and the bigger 3 bolt cleat (broader support, fewer hot-spots).

I'm leaning toward the 3 bolt. My biggest concern, and one of the reasons I'm getting these shoes to begin with, is foot pain, and 2 bolt has a higher likelyhood of that happening (I realize many people use 2 bolt without any issues, but from what I am reading more people have issues with 2 bolt than 3 bolt).

However, the bike shop offered to let me bring in my bike and try each pair of shoes on the trainer. Not sure if that includes the pedals, but I hope it does. So I'm going to head in tomorrow and try both pairs of shoes out and see which one feels better.

Quote by JPW:
"This is actually a bit disconcerting."

I didn't even notice it on the last pair of Spesh I used for this winter, The Elite Road shoe. Something like 76% of the population could use a Varus wedge correction. Maybe I got lucky?

Other folks, like OBC, need a Valgus correction or no correction.

There's always offsetting the 1.5 degree Varus with shims from BikeFit.com. I use their leg length correction shims and the Varus/Valgus shims are worth looking into regardless of the shoe you end up with.

Like OBC I really like the way Spesh shoes fit me, in general. I have three pairs and the 2006 pair I rode in this afternoon are holding up nicely for being almost 10 years old and on their third pair of cleats.

Quote by JPW:
"This is actually a bit disconcerting."

I didn't even notice it on the last pair of Spesh I used for this winter, The Elite Road shoe. Something like 76% of the population could use a Varus wedge correction. Maybe I got lucky?
That's what I've heard. If you're part of the majority, go for it.

My favorite road shoes are by Shimano on their new last. Similar fit, neutral footbed.

So I went with the Specialized Sport Road (so the 3 bolt cleat) and the SPD-SL Light Action pedals.

Tried them on the trainer with a few hard efforts, then out in the parking lot intentionally over-gearing.

I'll post an update after I've had a change to ride them more than a few minutes, but so far they feel really good. Also still waiting on the custom footbeds to come in.

Quote by OBC:
"If you're part of the majority, go for it."

I've never had my form / fit tested with the forward cameras and target dots. I have never had anyone flat-bed my bare feet while kneeling on a chair...so I have no ide if I'm in the Varus correction camp or not.

A few weeks after getting the shoes (CHEAP! A local dealer was dumping everything Spesh and no longer going to sell the Spesh bikes or accessories.) I noticed the "VARUS" word molded into each sole. I had no clue the shoes had correction built into them and kept right on riding in them all winter. I finally stumbled on what was up with the Varus stuff.

The sales staff that sold me the shoe was just interested in making a sale and either did not know of the built-in correction or didn't bother to tell me. I was looking for a deal in a shoe that fit and bought two pairs of the closeout Spesh shoes.

It made zero difference in my power, pedal stroke, comfort, etc. Overall, I'm a happy customer. Comfy shoes at a good price. Dumb luck or orthopedic need...either way they work and cause me no issues.

"My favorite road shoes are by Shimano on their new last. Similar fit, neutral footbed."

If anyone local puts them on sale for anything close to reasonable, I'll snag a pair. I have a spare set of yellow shimaNO cleats and a half-dozen BikeFit 0.5 degree wedge shims to play around with. A fella can never have too many pairs of shoes.

Good choice on the 3-bolt setup JPW. shimaNO pedals are comfy for me and I think you found a good combination for road work.

The Specialized wedge is probably not even noticed my most riders. It's a problem for me because I tend to stand and walk on the outside edges of my feet. This is partially hereditary. Due to my age, it led to stiffening and partial atrophy of the first metatarsals, so I need footbeds that shift pressure to the inside. PT and foot exercise help me adapt to the change in stance and gait, and keep the knees tracking straight over the pedals.

It's something that most bike fitters wouldn't notice. They'd probably see that the knees were tracking straight and say the wedges were doing their job, but at the end of a long ride I'd barely be able to walk.