Specialized road bike with shock ab system

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Doug, May 14, 2003.

  1. Doug

    Doug Guest

    Hey all,

    I don't recall reading about this in the group and found nothing in Dejanews either.

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2003/news/apr11

    A Specialized Al road frame with some sort of shock dampening. I can't tell much from the pic, are
    the seatstays rubberized or something? Curious anyway.

    Doug

    Tags:

  2. Etxy

    Etxy New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2003
    No such luck as suspension, I'm afraid.

    Looks to me as Carbon Fibre front forks, and Carbon seat stays. Carbon Fibre reduces road shock, and this is the "shock absorption", not any of your standard suspension.

    The reason that this is a big deal for Specialized is that their standard A1 is full Aluminium, I think, frame. Carbon fork, but no carbon seat stays.

    Nice bike, though! :D

  3. mt_biker

    mt_biker New Member

    Joined:
    May 12, 2003
    The article specifically said elastomers. I'm guessing it is more than the use of carbon fiber.

  4. Jim Edgar

    Jim Edgar Guest

    Doug at [email protected] wrote on 5/14/03 2:47 AM:

    > http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2003/news/apr11
    >
    > A Specialized Al road frame with some sort of shock dampening. I can't tell much from the pic, are
    > the seatstays rubberized or something? Curious anyway.

    From the larger pictures, you can see a light grey shape in both the fork and the carbon chainstays.
    I'd venture that they are imbedding the elastomer in the carbon to enhance their claim of better
    vibration damping.

    IIRC, they had used elastomer imbedded in a seatpost not too long ago.