Specialized Rockhopper Comp.

cyclingcarve31 said:
Anyone have or ridden one. AND IF SO WHAT DID YOU THINK?:confused:

Try posting this question in the Mountain Bike section, or on mtbr.com. On the latter you can also search for reviews/comments, and this bike will have many to review.

cyclingcarve31 said:
I purchased a Specialized Rockhopper Comp new back in 2001. I’ve used it mostly for rails to trails bike paths, and a few single track rides. IMHO it’s a good entry level hard tail. I’ll keep my Rockhopper… But I’ll admit that most of the time, the bike does not get much usage. 99% of my miles are on the road, and I ride a road bike for that. That’s where I spent my money, on my Merlin.

cyclingcarve31 said:
i have a 2003 rockhopper comp with v brakes and love it. people say that the cranks aren't all that great on it, but i think they are pretty good. i have very strong legs, so i have no problem in power transfer like some people say, and don't plan on racing competitively so buying new cranks would not be worth it for me. my only complaint is the tires on the bike, but i replaced them within the first six months and am now satisfied.

dbleoh7 said:
i have a 2003 rockhopper comp with v brakes and love it. people say that the cranks aren't all that great on it, but i think they are pretty good. i have very strong legs, so i have no problem in power transfer like some people say, and don't plan on racing competitively so buying new cranks would not be worth it for me. my only complaint is the tires on the bike, but i replaced them within the first six months and am now satisfied.

I got one back in 2001 and it is a great thrashing around, entry level machine but spend a bit more if you are thinking of racing or are really into XC. I upgraded my wheels and forks over time but it is still too heavy. But then again I prefer going uphill to going down and I ride mostly on the road these days. It does seem to be super strong and I bet the 2006 version is already way lighter than 2001.