Specialized Rockhopper FS - Shimano Exage Trigger Shift Issue

bananafruitcake

Jul 28, 2013
Hope I'm not breaking any rules starting a second thread for a same bike, different issue.

When I bought the bike the right trigger had no resistence/effect on shifting at all (it just swings when pressed with my right thumb)
I read that soaking it in simple green might get it to work...
I also read this set up is/was notorious for the issue and not one to try and "open" and repair.

Sure enough about a 1/4th bottle of SG and it started to engage!

But now if it sits any length of time, it needs more SG...

I have either witnessed or had a tech confirm the SG method works and that they use it all the time... so for those who use this method to free up shifters, do you normally have to resoak repeatedly?

Thanks in advance, hope this makes sense...
big-smile.png

Quote: Originally Posted by bananafruitcake .
Hope I'm not breaking any rules starting a second thread for a same bike, different issue.

When I bought the bike the right trigger had no resistence/effect on shifting at all (it just swings when pressed with my right thumb)
I read that soaking it in simple green might get it to work...
I also read this set up is/was notorious for the issue and not one to try and "open" and repair.

Sure enough about a 1/4th bottle of SG and it started to engage!

But now if it sits any length of time, it needs more SG...

I have either witnessed or had a tech confirm the SG method works and that they use it all the time... so for those who use this method to free up shifters, do you normally have to resoak repeatedly?

This may be a stupid question ...

Are you simply using the SG while the shifter is on the handlebar OR did you remove the shifter from the bike & flush the gunk out with warm-or-hot water?