Specialized Roubaix - 2012 SL3 or 2013 SL4?

Gank

Aug 9, 2012
I was literally about to lay out the cash for a Roubaix SL3 Pro Ui2.
The guy at the LBS advised to wait until the 2013 models are available (November).
The 2013 is retailing for $5100 US - a significant savings over the 2012!
Anyone have any suggestions, one way or the other? I just hate to wait until the END of riding season (East cost) to get on a new bike when there is plenty of riding yet to be done in 2012.
Thanks a bunch for your help.

Drew

Gank said:
I was literally about to lay out the cash for a Roubaix SL3 Pro Ui2. The guy at the LBS advised to wait until the 2013 models are available (November). The 2013 is retailing for $5100 US - a significant savings over the 2012! Anyone have any suggestions, one way or the other? I just hate to wait until the END of riding season (East cost) to get on a new bike when there is plenty of riding yet to be done in 2012. Thanks a bunch for your help. Drew
Then don't wait. Every year, there's always a "better" bike coming out the following year. I'd rather be riding than waiting.

Agreed - riding is better than waiting.

However, since I'm also in the market for the wife's new Ruby... the savings to be realized by waiting for the 2013 models is significant. Part of what I'm wondering is what's contributing to the $400 price drop (retail).

If the 2013 model was more expensive or the same price, I'd already own the SL3. It's pretty rare that the "new" thing costs less than the "current" thing except in cases where the new thing may be inferior, and fear of market rejection forces the manufacturer to adjust their retail price.

Is there something really "awesome" about the 2013 SL4 that makes the savings and the 3 months of waiting worthwhile?

Drew

Gank said:
Is there something really "awesome" about the 2013 SL4 that makes the savings and the 3 months of waiting worthwhile? Drew
It's unlikely.

Amazed and happy to see this subject appear on a forum as I'm analyzing this exact issue. LBS no longer has the 2012 SL3 Pro Ui2 and is therefore pushing me to the 2013 SL4 Expect Di2. Cheaper price on the 2013 sounded too good to be true so I started comparing the specs and the first thing I saw (the cassette and chain of the 2013 are Tiagra and not Ultegra) left me concerned that 2013's cheaper price was due to "de-contenting". Other things I saw, and I'm not sure how big an issue they are:

1. Crank--the 2012 is equipped with the Specialized Pro FACT carbon; the 2013 has a Shimano Ultegra crank
2. Wheels--Roval Fusee SL on the 2012 model; DT Axis 4.0 on the 2013

Bill Cohen said:
Amazed and happy to see this subject appear on a forum as I'm analyzing this exact issue. LBS no longer has the 2012 SL3 Pro Ui2 and is therefore pushing me to the 2013 SL4 Expect Di2. Cheaper price on the 2013 sounded too good to be true so I started comparing the specs and the first thing I saw (the cassette and chain of the 2013 are Tiagra and not Ultegra) left me concerned that 2013's cheaper price was due to "de-contenting". Other things I saw, and I'm not sure how big an issue they are: 1. Crank--the 2012 is equipped with the Specialized Pro FACT carbon; the 2013 has a Shimano Ultegra crank 2. Wheels--Roval Fusee SL on the 2012 model; DT Axis 4.0 on the 2013
The Tiagra chain and cassette are just as good as the Ultegra, just a bit heavier. Insist on getting the Ultegra chain and cassette if you feel the need to spend money. The Ultegra crank is at least as good as the Specialized Pro FACT CF crank. In fact, the Ultegra crank has, over the last few years, been about the stiffest crank you can get. It's been stiffer than the Dura-Ace version. I can think of many cranks I'd buy before I'd buy the Specialized (Campy, Shimano, Rotor,.........). There's nothing special about either of the wheel sets you mentioned. Neither are particularly light, but the DT wheels will certainly have better hubs than the Rovals.

Thanks. I still believe putting a Tiagra cassette and chain on an otherwise completely Ultlegra-equipped bike is a stupid way for a manufacturer to save a few bucks but that shouldn't be a deal-breaker as they can easily be upgraded if and when one chooses to do so. I don't know enough to evaluate the merits of the FSA crank versus its Ultegra counterpart but if I'm generally a fan of Shimano's Ultegra group it's probably just paranoia on my part to be worried about Specialized's choice to go with the Ultegra crank on the 2013 model. Finally, I've heard elsewhere that the 2013 model's DT wheel is a better choice than 2012's Roval Fusee SL.

As for Gank, who started this thread, I've located a well-priced 2012 model at a dealer not too far away from me but have also been given the opportunity by my LBS to buy a 2013 at a very good price. I'm going to buy the 2013 for one good reason (support my LBS) and one stupid reason (I like the paint scheme of the 2013 better).