Specialized Roubaix/Cannondale Road Sport

Blackberry

Jan 8, 2004
As I creak toward middle age, I'm interested in the Specialized Roubaix possibly Cannondale Road Sport, but locked into an unusually icy and arctic winter (at least by Virginia standards), haven't had a chance for a test drive. Has anyone had a chance to ride any of their various models? Any thoughts?

I'm the proud owner of a new Specialized Roubaix Pro. Full carbon, full Dura Ace. The bike is as comfortable as a limo, as fast as a Ferrari and as light as an anorexic feather. When I stand in the saddle to ascend a hill the bike feels weightless beneath me. I can ride for hours with no discomfort and, generally, no ride is long enough. I'm "middle aged" myself at 47 but when I'm atop this machine I feel 20 years younger. If price is a consideration, buy the Roubaix Comp with Ultegra and save a grand.

I'm the proud owner of a new Specialized Roubaix Pro. Full carbon, full Dura Ace. The bike is as comfortable as a limo, as fast as a Ferrari and as light as an anorexic feather. When I stand in the saddle to ascend a hill the bike feels weightless beneath me. I can ride for hours with no discomfort and, generally, no ride is long enough. I'm "middle aged" myself at 47 but when I'm atop this machine I feel 20 years younger. If price is a consideration, buy the Roubaix Comp with Ultegra and save a grand.

I am also a proud new owner of the Roubaix, although I chose the Comp 27 model with Ultegra and FSA carbon triple crank. I had almost forgotten how FUN cycling is! I test rode the Cannondale before making my decision, albiet not very far in the Midwestern winter. I also rode the aluminum triangle Roubaix... no comparison to how I felt on the carbon fiber. Give 'em all an adequate test ride and go with what makes YOU feel young again.

I'm another new Roubaix Pro owner. After test riding the Pro model with Dura-Ace, I couldn't live with anything less. The more I ride it (weather permitting), the more I love it. The comfort was more the appeal than the low weight, but both are outstanding. We have lots of frost cracks and patches in Wisconsin roads, and the Roubaix soaks it all up. At 52, this is my substitute for a Porsche or Ferrari, and has raised my cycling to a new level of enjoyment.

Go for it!!

Originally posted by wheelheart
I'm another new Roubaix Pro owner. After test riding the Pro model with Dura-Ace, I couldn't live with anything less. The more I ride it (weather permitting), the more I love it. The comfort was more the appeal than the low weight, but both are outstanding. We have lots of frost cracks and patches in Wisconsin roads, and the Roubaix soaks it all up. At 52, this is my substitute for a Porsche or Ferrari, and has raised my cycling to a new level of enjoyment.

Go for it!!

I'm also a new owner of a Specialized Roubaix Comp 27. I test road numerous bikes: Trek, Felt, Klein, Supergo Scattante, and some others, but the Roubaix Comp felt the best overall to me. The Specialized Roubaix is an incredible bike.

Congratulations on your Comp. Hope you continue to be pleased with it. My intentions had been to test a Comp after reading about it in Outside magazine, but the one in stock had been sold when I went to take a test ride, so I tried the Pro, and decided to stick with it. No regrets. This could be the last bicycle I will ever need, so I want to make the most of it.

Today I was talking to one of the bike shop partners, who also has a new Roubaix, we shared the feeling that our bikes are becoming more appealing as we get more time on them. It's hard to appreciate what a good package the Roubaix is at first - the realization grows on you.

I purchased the Roubaix Comp 27 and it has put the joy back into cycling. I bought the 27 because the LBS did not have an 18 but I am glad about my choice. Previously owned a Softride Powerwing and compared to the Roubaix the ride wasn't so soft. I test rode about every bike in the $2400-3000 price range including a few that I had never heard of. The Roubaix won out in all areas.

Originally posted by rl1
I purchased the Roubaix Comp 27 and it has put the joy back into cycling. I bought the 27 because the LBS did not have an 18 but I am glad about my choice. Previously owned a Softride Powerwing and compared to the Roubaix the ride wasn't so soft. I test rode about every bike in the $2400-3000 price range including a few that I had never heard of. The Roubaix won out in all areas.
Glad you like it. With about half a riding season on in my Roubiax now, I'm still liking it better and better. That sounds odd, but this bike is such a refined experience that you continue and appreciate how good it is. Enjoy!

Originally posted by Blackberry
As I creak toward middle age, I'm interested in the Specialized Roubaix possibly Cannondale Road Sport, but locked into an unusually icy and arctic winter (at least by Virginia standards), haven't had a chance for a test drive. Has anyone had a chance to ride any of their various models? Any thoughts?

roubaix is a line of bikes, and a cdale road sport really isnt the same class their real rode bikes are nice tho

Another vote for Roubaix -- my wife loves hers. Specialized seems to have designed a great bike w/r/t achieving a frame with comfortable geometry/materials/etc. That pave seatpost looks pretty cool too (not sure if that gel-like insert...forget what they call it... is for just for looks vs. real functionality).