Specialized roubaix comp triple 2011 or roubaix expert 2010

Cossack84

Aug 28, 2010
Same price, what is ideal for riding century rides + weekly. I can't decide also between the 2010 comp triple which I can get for 2,100 or the other two for 2,600.

Or should I go with the trek madone 4 series or the chronus.

Planning on riding both next weekend, is the z insert a gimmick or does it really work.

The Z inserts actually do work. I noticed a difference when I demo'd the Roubaix and then demo'd the Tarmac (did the same 30 mile loop on both bikes, didn't just ride them in the parking lot). I didn't feel as much vibration as with the Tarmac.

As for model, I would go with the compact double version (50-34). It will have easier gearing than a standard double (52-39) and you don't have the extra weight of a triple.

The gearing I know I want triple, I won't be using it for sprint or races. Planning on using it for long hauls, lifecycle ride eventually.

Thanks for the info on the specialized, anyone any comments on the trek.

Also should I go with the shimano 105 set up and when needed upgrade to dura ace ultra down the road?

Unless you're racing, I don't really see the need for Dura Ace. Not sure the weight difference between Ultegra and Dura Ace, but between SRAM Force and Red it is like 180 grams, and it costs about 1,000 more for Red.

Cossack84 said:
Same price, what is ideal for riding century rides + weekly. I can't decide also between the 2010 comp triple which I can get for 2,100 or the other two for 2,600.

Or should I go with the trek madone 4 series or the chronus.

Planning on riding both next weekend, is the z insert a gimmick or does it really work.

I have a 2011 Roubaix SL2 Elite with the Sram Apex and I LOVE IT! It is amazing how comfortable it is. I also I have a 2010 Felt F3 which I use for races and speed days (Don't get me wrong the Roubaix is fast too) but the Roubaix is awesome for the long rides the vibration differences are amazing. I couldn't tell you if those Zert inserts really work or not but I will say the Roubaix is really comfortable and stable on rough roads and I ride on some rough back country roads. For want you're wanting for long rides I'd say you're good on the Roubaix. I have the Sram Apex on the bike and it's smooth no complaints and I think that's lower end then the 105 (I think) so you'd probably be good on the 105 group.

As for the Trek Madone...for what you're wanting again I'd stick with the Roubaix. Don't get me wrong I had a Trek Madone 5.2 for 4 years and probably would still have it but it got wrecked pretty bad (hence the Felt F3 now). The Madone was a great speed demon and I thought it road great on long distances but I can honestly say the Roubaix definitely rides a lot better on distances and heck even hills aren't that bad on it.

I'm by no means any expert but I hope my opinion helped out. I'd say any way you go you'll be getting a GREAT bike.