Specialized Roubaix Comp triple to double

msander19

Aug 25, 2006
Hi there,

I'm looking at buying a barely used 05 Roubaix Comp. When it was purchased from his LBS, the seller had the triple swapped out for a compact double. Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but is there anything else that would have had to have been done, and could this lead to any problems? Thanks.

Depnds what the swapout involved. New BB, crank and short cage RD should be the parts list.

capwater said:
Depnds what the swapout involved. New BB, crank and short cage RD should be the parts list.
The cranks were changed, and I know the RD was changed to a short cage, however I don't know about the BB. Why would you need to change the BB? Thanks again.

If it was an external bearing bottom bracket it wouldn't, but on that model it came spec'd with an ISIS BB. An internal bearing triple BB has a longer spindle (113mm) vs. a double (109.5). Your chainline would really be wacked if it wasn't since the large chainring would sit way far out. Not knowing what your LBS it is impossible to properly surmise your situation. Got a pic looking at the crank/BB interface from above?

capwater said:
If it was an external bearing bottom bracket it wouldn't, but on that model it came spec'd with an ISIS BB. An internal bearing triple BB has a longer spindle (113mm) vs. a double (109.5). Your chainline would really be wacked if it wasn't since the large chainring would sit way far out. Not knowing what your LBS it is impossible to properly surmise your situation. Got a pic looking at the crank/BB interface from above?
No, unfortunately I don't have a picture of it. However, I checked specialized's 05 archive http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?arc=2005&spid=21473 and the BB is a "FSA CK-8680, alloy super light, exterior bearings (integrated)". Does this mean it actually doesn't need to be changed?