Specialized Roubaix Elite 27 vs. Allez Comp Double

Pierre

Guest
Hi all.

I'm an avid mountain biker looking into buying a road bike. After
doing some research, I've narrowed it down to the two models above.

My concern: I've test ridden both these bikes in 52, though I'll be
looking for a 54. I found the Roubaix a long and sleek feeling ride, a
little slower, a lot more comfortable. However, the Allez is 200 bucks
cheaper, and more aggresive. Considering that neither of these bikes
were fitted for me, how much info should I glean from a test ride?
I've had lower back problems and am concerned that, while I'd rather
purchase the Allez, I might not be able to fit it in a way that would
alleviate these back concerns.

Also, I wonder if I bought the Roubaix now, would I say, 6 months down
the road feel like I could have handled the Allez? That I've doomed
myself to a sort of biking geekdom?

In general, in spite of my back, I'm a very aggresive rider and my
primary motivation for getting a road bike is speed. Me like going
fast.

Thanks for your help,

On 10 May 2004 14:12:54 -0700, [email protected] (Pierre) wrote:

>Hi all.
>
>I'm an avid mountain biker looking into buying a road bike. After
>doing some research, I've narrowed it down to the two models above.
>
>My concern: I've test ridden both these bikes in 52, though I'll be
>looking for a 54. I found the Roubaix a long and sleek feeling ride, a
>little slower, a lot more comfortable. However, the Allez is 200 bucks
>cheaper, and more aggresive. Considering that neither of these bikes
>were fitted for me, how much info should I glean from a test ride?
>I've had lower back problems and am concerned that, while I'd rather
>purchase the Allez, I might not be able to fit it in a way that would
>alleviate these back concerns.
>
>Also, I wonder if I bought the Roubaix now, would I say, 6 months down
>the road feel like I could have handled the Allez? That I've doomed
>myself to a sort of biking geekdom?
>
>In general, in spite of my back, I'm a very aggresive rider and my
>primary motivation for getting a road bike is speed. Me like going
>fast.
>
>Thanks for your help,

I have two road bikes. One an older frame with a long wheel base,
somewhat relaxed angles. Another short wheel base, tight angles. It
*does* make a difference to me. If you want speed, go for the tighter
geometry.

Find both bikes in the proper size, get it fitted up a bit, and go for
long test rides. Talk won't tell you what you want to know :)

A description of how to set up test rides-

http://www.chainreactionbicycles.com/roadbiketestrides.htm

Pierre wrote:
> In general, in spite of my back, I'm a very aggresive rider and my
> primary motivation for getting a road bike is speed. Me like going fast.
> Thanks for your help,

You like fast...

Allez is french for fast!

Go Allez!

you won't regret it.

--

Dominic Sansom wrote:
> You like fast...
> Allez is french for fast!
> Go Allez!
> you won't regret it.

Whoops! I obviously wasn't paying attention in French class.

"Aller" means Go, Ride.

--

In article <[email protected]>, usenet-
[email protected] says...
> Dominic Sansom wrote:
> > You like fast...
> > Allez is french for fast!
> > Go Allez!
> > you won't regret it.

> Whoops! I obviously wasn't paying attention in French class.
>
> "Aller" means Go, Ride.

That's the infinitive for "to go". Allez is the 2nd person form of it:
"Vouz allez".

--
Dave Kerber
Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address before replying!

It depends on how you define "fast." The Allez is more of a
crit geometry meaning it's a bit easier to lean it into
turns. The flipside of that is a lack of stability (wants
to turn when you don't want it to). Additionally, the
shorter wheelbase will mean a harsher ride.

I'm not sure about the aluminum Roubaix with carbon stays,
but the all-carbon Roubaix is both lighter and stiffer
(torsionally and laterally) than any other frame that
Specialized makes. It is very efficient and is used by
their pro team.

Todd Kuzma
Heron Bicycles
Tullio's Big Dog Cyclery
LaSalle, Il 815-223-1776
http://www.heronbicycles.com
http://www.tullios.com

> That's the infinitive for "to go". Allez is the 2nd person form of it:
> "Vouz allez".

Geez Dave, thanks for taking the time. Perhaps you were looking for
soc.culture.french.

Anywho, I know a long fitted test ride would be best, but
unfortunately, shops in my area don't offer those. Fitting takes an
hour or so and they normally charge for it, so that's out.

Dan, when you said you feel the difference, you mean size or comfort
or both? Ever bothered on long rides on your fast bike (which, I
assume, is properly fit)?

Thanks,

Pierre
(That's right. The french wasn't wasted on me.)

On 11 May 2004 12:38:09 -0700, [email protected] (Pierre) wrote:

>> That's the infinitive for "to go". Allez is the 2nd person form of it:
>> "Vouz allez".

>Geez Dave, thanks for taking the time. Perhaps you were looking for
>soc.culture.french.
>
>Anywho, I know a long fitted test ride would be best, but
>unfortunately, shops in my area don't offer those. Fitting takes an
>hour or so and they normally charge for it, so that's out.

Even without a formal fitting, I don't think you'll find out what you
want to know without riding the right frame size. Maybe others will
disagree with me. Can you at least get long rides on each one
irrespective of the fitting? Set them up as close as possible to each
other and see how your back feels?

>Dan, when you said you feel the difference, you mean size or comfort
>or both? Ever bothered on long rides on your fast bike (which, I
>assume, is properly fit)?

The short wheelbase bike is quicker, more responsive to pedal
pressure, more sensitive in its steering and body movement controls.
And on longer rides I do feel it- the short bike is harder on my body.

The long wheel base bike absorbs bumps better. For longer rides,
that's what I will use these days.

The short is a DeBernardi Thron frame, 980mm wheelbase. The long is an
older Falcon 531 frame, 1040mm wheelbase (sold as a 'racer' in 1987 or
so)

And now it gets all nebulous and hard to express- each bike seems to
ask to be ridden in a certain way. The short wheel base wants to be
ridden fast, quickly, aggressively. Stomp through yellow lights, weave
in and out of groups, etc. The long bike wants to go for a cruise. A
leisurely Sunday ride. But it will react when I push it. I'm being
extreme here- there's a lot of overlap between the two.

Maybe the difference between a criterium and a road race?

Both are good bikes and will serve you well. I think your back might
be the decider. And some of that will depend on parts and fitting ,
not the frame per se.