Specialized Roubaix frame- no decals - LEGIT?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by seriouslysilly, Jan 21, 2007.

1. seriouslysilly

seriouslysilly New Member

This person has been selling a lot of this frame
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

He claims that it is a2005 Specialized Roubaix, but without any decals.

His rating is +2000 and over 99% feedback so the recipients of the frame are happy. I tried searching for more info on the frame but can't get a definite answer as it to being real or how they can acquire a frame without the decals.
    Is it rejects from the factory? The winners of the frame don't know any better?
    Few months ago, the frames were white...now they're black.

Should I invest $$ on this frame? In your opinion, would it be worth over $200?

Thanks so much!

Tags:

2. 531Aussie

531Aussie Well-Known Member

Hmmmmm, as far as I know, the 2005 alu Roubaix only came in blue and silver ("dream"), so he obviously could've painted it. I guess one of the distinctive features is the way the head-tube sticks up a fair way over the top-tube, and the "Zert" insert marks on the seat-stays. I'd pay $200 for it

Are there more pics?

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?arc=2005&spid=21471
    [​IMG]
    This is a pic of a 2004 stay on a full-carbon Roubaix. The frame in your pic seems to have the same cavities for the inserts

[​IMG]

3. seriouslysilly

sorry, this is the only pic supplied by the seller.
    what's strange is that a few months ago, the frames were white. I believe it was from the same year 2005, but don't remember the exact frame size.

I'm very new to cycling and have a steel road bike (reynolds 631).
    I plan to get this frame and swap the components to this frame then sell my current frame. In the process I'll be learning how to build up bikes through a book that I bought and a friend who's studying to be a bike mechanic.

I just don't want to get stuck with a lesser quality frame with an even less pleasurable ride. I'm coming from a Jamis 2005 steel frame.

4. benkoostra

benkoostra New Member

I'll tell you what I think it is. It's the same frame from the same factory in China that made the Specialized. They're just trying to maximize return on a production run overage, or a lot of frames that were rejected/returned by "S".

5. seriouslysilly

Oh man, if it is indeed the rejected frames, i sure hope it's not because it's defective :eek:
    nothing like selling frames that could very well lead to serious injury when ridden

i just hope that it's over-production reason

6. slvoid

slvoid New Member

Maybe beause the zertz rubber insert fell out and now there's a big hole in there.

7. seriouslysilly

oh great :rolleyes:
    just looked closely at the picture and it doesn't look like the zertz aren't in the frame.
    i should try to look at previous winners and ask them if the inserts were included.

8. Phill P

Phill P New Member

Ask Specilized customer support. I'm sure they'd love somebody selling frames in thier name they they haven't santioned!!!