Specialized Roubaix OR a Klein OR Trek 5200

atlxhawks

Jul 26, 2004
I am looking to get into Road biking. I have mostly done Mountain biking and want to get into Road Biking. I want to get the best bike for the least amount of money. I don't weant to go to cheap that I want a new bike in a year like I did with my mountain bike. I have rode the Specialized Roubaix Comp 18 and the Trek 5200. I love the way the Specialized rode but then I saw a Klein and loved the way it looks. Does anyone have any good advice on which might be the best way to go for a beginner? I want to stick under $2500.

Thanks

atlxhawks said:
I am looking to get into Road biking. I have mostly done Mountain biking and want to get into Road Biking. I want to get the best bike for the least amount of money. I don't weant to go to cheap that I want a new bike in a year like I did with my mountain bike. I have rode the Specialized Roubaix Comp 18 and the Trek 5200. I love the way the Specialized rode but then I saw a Klein and loved the way it looks. Does anyone have any good advice on which might be the best way to go for a beginner? I want to stick under $2500.

Thanks
Well, you'll get a bit more value for your buck with Specialized or Trek -- with Klein, you're paying a bit of a premium for fit and finish, so there's a slightly higher pricepoint with equivalent parts. Hey, all three of those are great bike companie, in the end; so long as your choice fits nicely in your budget and you're properly fit, you can't go wrong.

Do keep in mind, though, that this there isn't three-way symmetry in your choices. Of the Roubaix, the Klein (either the Aura or Q-Pro), and the Trek, the Roubaix presents less traditional geometry (from what I understand -- I haven't studied the charts yet), slightly tweaked for comfort versus a more traditional road layout. It's a bit more upright, I hear, with longer chainstays and a stretchier wheelbase.

Apparently it's a great ride.

I've got a thing for Kleins, personally. You've got to love the meticulous hand-painting, the internal cable routing, and the overall sleek lines. I've been on a custom painted Q-Pro for a few months now, and I love the ride. For a carbon fetishist, though, the 5200 is hard to beat if you don't mind the ubiquitious label. Light, stiff, silky, blah blah blah.

Only one way to decide, my friend. Get out there and test ride. Good luck!