Specialized Roubaix Pro, Trek 5500, or Fondreist Domino?

marv800

May 19, 2004
Need some advice here... I'm an former Cat 3 racer, but havent raced in about 8 years. Since then I've not raced but instead have been riding centuries and a lot of recreational tours on an Aluminum Cinelli Aliante. Its a great bike equipped with 2000 Campy Record 9, but I think the frame is a litle large for me, and the Aluminum frame seems to be taking a toll on my body a bit. Seeing as I'm no longer 25 years old, I want something a bit more comfortable but still efficient. Ive never ridden carbon but it seems to be what everyone is recommending for my needs. I still want something efficient and capable of "spirited riding", but I just don't need a full crit geometry.

In the last few years, I seem to have lost touch with the latest technology and trends so I seek your help here.

I plan to just transfer my gruppo to my new frame and have basically narrowed it down to the Trek 5500, Specialized Roubaix, or Fondreist Domino.

Anyone here have any opinions on any of these frames (especially the Fondreist).

Also, I am actually open to any suggestions for any frameset under $2,000.

Have ridden the Trek which I wasn't too impressed with. Was reasonably comfortable but just no springy feel to it. I know it is cliched but it did have the dead feel that people talk about for Treks.
Three friends who are experienced riders have the Specialized Roubaix Pro and all love it. Very comfortable, reasonably light and steady on descents.
Can't help much with the Fondy but have heard (indirectly) very good things about it.

I have the S-Works Zebra Acqua & Sapone frame and looking to upgrade to the Roubaix Pro frame. I recently saw the Roubaix Comp frame and was impressed.

For the money, I think that the Specialize Roubaix is a great choice. Also, you can not go wrong with the Trek 5500. It is a great bike too.

It is all personal preference, and money.

Good luck on your decission.

JET

The Fondriest has a top notch reputation here in Italy. Cannot comment on the others. In terms of personal bias, check out the De Rosa King, although I have no idea of prices in the US.

I you sure you need a carbon frame? If you are interested in a good comfortable frame for longer distance riding, what is wrong with a good steel frame? They are not fashionable these days, but there are some very nice frames out there, and you could probably get something very nice without spending too much cash.

Just my two cents...

Giant TCR Composite frameset. Sub 3 lbs. for frame and full carbon fork. Comes with the headset and does not have that wooden feel.

As ann added bonus it is probably less expensive than the other three.