specialized S-works E5

wangatang

Aug 10, 2004
I'm thinking about building a new bike and have the chance to buy a nearly new (40miles) 2002 specialized s-works E5 frame with easton ec70 forks. has anyone ridden on one of these frame? how does it ride and is it worth purchasing? how much should i pay for it? I just want some feedback before starting this building project. thanks

I have a 2005 Sworks E-5 and love the way it rides. Stiff but not to the point it will bounce you off. I run a EC90 SLX fork. Good dampening properties. The bottom bracket stiffness is great. Every pedal stroke is transferred into pure speed. Be carefull on what the are asking for the 2002 frame the New 2005 frames are a cheaper than the 04's. My new 05 E-5 frame was $900.

Here is a Picture of my E-5

This frame is identical to the '04 Allez E5 w/Colomubs SLX al tubing, right? If you can find one, an '04 w/ultegra should be going for 1300-1400 for the full bike. For '05 they added CF seatstays, but basically it's still the same. If Al is your thing, I think it's a good option if the frame fits you. Very still, reasonable weight, taiwaneese albiet nice welds/paint/craftmanship, good bang for the buck.

what size do you need and how much are you willing to pay? ;) i have an 2003 E5 s-works frame complete with fork that i'm thinking about selling cause it's too big for me. There is only about 100 miles on it. :D

wow said:
what size do you need and how much are you willing to pay? ;) i have an 2003 E5 s-works frame complete with fork that i'm thinking about selling cause it's too big for me. There is only about 100 miles on it. :D

I believe i'm looking for a 52cm give or take a cm. the one i'm looking at is a 2002 and comes with easton forks and integrated headset. It was going for around 300 with 40miles on it so if your offer is comparable please send me a message.

how much should a 2002 E5 go for? is it worth building up? or should i just buy a stock bike... i was gonna make this a project and slowly build it up with probably 105 group since i'm not a super biker, and mainly cuz i'm lacking in funds.

wangatang said:
how much should a 2002 E5 go for? is it worth building up? or should i just buy a stock bike... i was gonna make this a project and slowly build it up with probably 105 group since i'm not a super biker, and mainly cuz i'm lacking in funds.

1) Great frame, very good price. I have the 2004 Allez Comp with the E5 frame and Ultegra components and I am a very happy camper!

2) Have you priced out all the 105 components? You will find that buying components individually is usually a very expensive way to acquire a bike. I say usually because you can find components on sale at Nashbar.com, performancebike.com and supergo.com, but then it is a waiting game, and I assume you want to have a bike ready to ride for spring! Last year I stripped my really old bike down to frame, fork, and crankset and built a 105 bike on that for about $450-500, but it took several months to get the parts and I got really lucky with the 105 shifters at nashbar.com - about $90 as I recall. I also got a so-so wheelset for $90, which really isn't a normal price. I had to buy about $100-150 in tools too.

3) building a bike is a fun project, but you also need a bunch of tools and it takes some time. I found it to be best to build your second bike, so you can still ride something while parts are being acquired, assembled, adjusted, etc.

4) 105 components are quite good - a clean, well adjusted 105 group is way better than a dirty, slightly out-of-adjustment Ultegra group. (I am speaking from personal experience)

5) If you shop around (and depending on where you are) you should be able to find a stock 105 bike for around $1,000 which might be a better route to go - don't forget that a stock bike will have a warranty, too!

Good luck!

Hi There,

If pangtang isn't interested in your frame, drop me a line I might be interested.

well...i do have a bike right now that is used mostly for commuting...it's old... real old, but runs great and despite offers i want to keep it. I found a place that sells a 2002 105 group for about $450. is that a good group...what is the difference between the 2002 and the 2004 or 5? is there a big weight difference... i don't care much about a bit of weight, was just wondering. how much do lbs charge to assemble a bike if i don't do it myself? i have some tools but was thinking it might be safer if i had a mechanic do it. any advice? I figure i'd build my bike slowly since it'll about never when i can save that much money all together so this way i can take my time.

hey guys, make me some offers on the frame and i'll consider it.

here's what it is:
2003 E5 S-works frameset
52cm
red
around 100 miles, i think.

if i like your offer, i'll take some pictures and send them your way and you can see if you still want it.