Specialized s-works oversized bottom bracket options

David Lowther

Guest
Hi,

I just bought a used specialized s-works tarmac frame (2007 model I think)
with what looks like an oversized bottom bracket shell.

I have a pair of campagnolo neutron wheels which I would like to use with
the frame.

I'm wondering whether it's going to be possible to fit a compact campagnolo
crankset.

Can anyone tell me what options I have for bottom bracket choice, e.g.

Do I have to buy a specialized bottom bracket, or are compatible parts
available from other manufacturers (+ info) ?

TIA

Dave.

"David Lowther" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> I just bought a used specialized s-works tarmac frame (2007 model I think)
> with what looks like an oversized bottom bracket shell.

Photo here:
http://www.dlowther.demon.co.uk/temp/bb.jpg

> I have a pair of campagnolo neutron wheels which I would like to use with
> the frame.
>
> I'm wondering whether it's going to be possible to fit a compact
> campagnolo crankset.
>
> Can anyone tell me what options I have for bottom bracket choice, e.g.
>
> Do I have to buy a specialized bottom bracket, or are compatible parts
> available from other manufacturers (+ info) ?

"David Lowther" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> I just bought a used specialized s-works tarmac frame (2007 model I think)
> with what looks like an oversized bottom bracket shell.

One more try at posting a link to a photo of the bottom bracket shell (last
message was removed from server - maybe because I posted a link to a jpg ?)
http://www.dlowther.demon.co.uk/temp/bb.htm

> I have a pair of campagnolo neutron wheels which I would like to use with
> the frame.
>
> I'm wondering whether it's going to be possible to fit a compact
> campagnolo crankset.
>
> Can anyone tell me what options I have for bottom bracket choice, e.g.
>
> Do I have to buy a specialized bottom bracket, or are compatible parts
> available from other manufacturers (+ info) ?

On Jun 24, 2:41 am, "David Lowther" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> "David Lowther" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > Hi,

> > I just bought a used specialized s-works tarmac frame (2007 model I think)
> > with what looks like an oversized bottom bracket shell.

> One more try at posting a link to a photo of the bottom bracket shell (last
> message was removed from server - maybe because I posted a link to a jpg ?)http://www.dlowther.demon.co.uk/temp/bb.htm
>

> > I have a pair of campagnolo neutron wheels which I would like to use with
> > the frame.

> > I'm wondering whether it's going to be possible to fit a compact
> > campagnolo crankset.

> > Can anyone tell me what options I have for bottom bracket choice, e.g.

> > Do I have to buy a specialized bottom bracket, or are compatible parts
> > available from other manufacturers (+ info) ?- Hide quoted text -

Is this one of the frames using Cannondale's BB30 standard?
http://www.bb30standard.com/

[email protected] wrote:
> On Jun 24, 2:41 am, "David Lowther" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> "David Lowther" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> > Hi,

>> > I just bought a used specialized s-works tarmac frame (2007 model
>> > I think) with what looks like an oversized bottom bracket shell.

>> One more try at posting a link to a photo of the bottom bracket
>> shell (last
>> message was removed from server - maybe because I posted a link to a
>> jpg ?)http://www.dlowther.demon.co.uk/temp/bb.htm
>>

>> > I have a pair of campagnolo neutron wheels which I would like to
>> > use with the frame.

>> > I'm wondering whether it's going to be possible to fit a compact
>> > campagnolo crankset.

>> > Can anyone tell me what options I have for bottom bracket choice,
>> > e.g.

>> > Do I have to buy a specialized bottom bracket, or are compatible
>> > parts available from other manufacturers (+ info) ?- Hide quoted
>> > text -

> Is this one of the frames using Cannondale's BB30 standard?
> http://www.bb30standard.com/

http://www.cannondale.com/bb30standard/tech_images/bb30standard.pdf

I can't see where the 30mm comes from...

--
Phil

David Lowther wrote:
>> I just bought a used specialized s-works tarmac frame (2007 model I think)
>> with what looks like an oversized bottom bracket shell.
>> I have a pair of campagnolo neutron wheels which I would like to

use with
>> the frame.
>> I'm wondering whether it's going to be possible to fit a compact
>> campagnolo crankset.
>> Can anyone tell me what options I have for bottom bracket choice, e.g.
>> Do I have to buy a specialized bottom bracket, or are compatible parts
>> available from other manufacturers (+ info) ?

> Photo here:
> http://www.dlowther.demon.co.uk/temp/bb.jpg

Uh, it measures on your scale from 48mm to 83mm, or a 35mm diameter.
That's most likely a standard BSC (34.8mm) threaded BB. Get any standard
Campagnolo crank with matching BSC BB or cup set.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Jun 24, 2:41 am, "David Lowther" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> "David Lowther" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> > Hi,

>> > I just bought a used specialized s-works tarmac frame (2007 model I
>> > think)
>> > with what looks like an oversized bottom bracket shell.

>> One more try at posting a link to a photo of the bottom bracket shell
>> (last
>> message was removed from server - maybe because I posted a link to a jpg
>> ?)http://www.dlowther.demon.co.uk/temp/bb.htm
>>

>> > I have a pair of campagnolo neutron wheels which I would like to use
>> > with
>> > the frame.

>> > I'm wondering whether it's going to be possible to fit a compact
>> > campagnolo crankset.

>> > Can anyone tell me what options I have for bottom bracket choice, e.g.

>> > Do I have to buy a specialized bottom bracket, or are compatible parts
>> > available from other manufacturers (+ info) ?- Hide quoted text -

> Is this one of the frames using Cannondale's BB30 standard?
> http://www.bb30standard.com/

I don't think so, I had a look at the bb30 pdf drawing.

The frame is threaded on both sides, which with a few hints now look to be
standard (37 mm?) BB fittings.

Best Regards

Dave.

On Jun 25, 12:16 pm, "David Lowther" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>

> > On Jun 24, 2:41 am, "David Lowther" <[email protected]>
> > wrote:
> >> "David Lowther" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> >>news:[email protected]...

> >> One more try at posting a link to a photo of the bottom bracket shell
> >> (last
> >> message was removed from server - maybe because I posted a link to a jpg
> >> ?)http://www.dlowther.demon.co.uk/temp/bb.htm

> > Is this one of the frames using Cannondale's BB30 standard?
> >http://www.bb30standard.com/

> I don't think so, I had a look at the bb30 pdf drawing.
>
> The frame is threaded on both sides, which with a few hints now look to be
> standard (37 mm?) BB fittings.
>
> Best Regards
>
> Dave.- Hide quoted text -

Then it might be standard English threaded: 1.37 x 24 tpi

David Lowther wrote:
> I don't think so, I had a look at the bb30 pdf drawing.
> The frame is threaded on both sides, which with a few hints now look to be
> standard (37 mm?) BB fittings.

Probably yes, standard BSC 34.8mm; usually described as 1.370 inches
with a reversed thread on the chain side.