Specialized S-Works Road Shoe question

High Gear

Oct 6, 2004
I have been on a quest to better the fit of my current Northwave road shoes. The fit is pretty good but not perfect. I need just a little bit more width. I have tried the Shimano SH-R151 wide and Sidi Mega....no luck. The Shimano was too tight on forefoot and the Megas shape just didn't fit my foot shape. Now I'm looking at the Specialized S-Works Road Shoe. The 46 at the shop felt like it had the right shape but was too small. They are bringing in a 47 for me to try. I'm hoping this will be the one. The shoe is a little freaky with that crazy holding system using that fishing line and dial. Has anyone been using them and have any comments? I would hate to drop $250 and find out later that I made a BIG mistake. Any feedback would be great.

I used to ride with a LOOK shoes for years and due to the tighter shoe box's design,I had problem with sore toes after the 1st hour on the bike and been putting up with this problem for years.Then when the Look shoes ran out of its service life,I happen to buy a pair of Specialized Road Shoes (the lower end model),and its shape is so perfect for my feet that I have no longer having to bear with sore toes even for a century ride.So I recommend you to go with it if it fits you right.

I too tried the Specialized '05 S-works shoe but decided against it. My foot felt comfortable as far as fit was concerned but my foot didn't feel level or "just right" inside the shoe. I went with the Shimano wide version as it held my foot level and flat and I found plenty of toe box room.

I wasn't particularly fond of the new wire tensioning system. Possibly due to not being used to it I fumbled with the dial and red thumb knob to loosen the wire. It didn't seem to work easily at least just sitting in the shop on a bench or it is just really new and crisp and needs to be broken in. I felt going with the Shimanos and three straps for closure enabled me to control the way the shoe felt on the foot and offered more adjustability as opposed to the wire tensioning system. I know the new system is supposed to self adjust so as not to cause any foot discomfort but for $250, I don't want to be the first guinea pig out of the gate for Specialized.

I went with what absolutely felt the best and seemed to function with minimal problems.

i don't know about the fit for you, but just a warning on the specialized "body geometry " shoes. i'm not even sure if that's the shoe you are lookin at, but i had a bad experience with the specialized pro road shoe.
the body geometry shoes have a built in wedge which cants your foot out. this is supposed to be biomechanically more efficient, and i admit that it sure did feel good to stand and sprint in these shoes. however, i immediately developed pain in my legs to the point where i had to stop using these shoes. the pain went away when i switched back to my old shoes. i tried them for 4-5 weeks before giving up on them. they fit well on my feet and i didn't have foot pain-it was the rest of my leg that didn't like it.