Specialized Sequoia Expert...anyone have this?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Shipwreck, May 25, 2003.

  1. Shipwreck

    Shipwreck Guest

    I test rode this bike today and really liked it. Retailing for $1100 in San Diego. Anyone riding it
    and like to comment?

    Tags:

  2. Adrian B

    Adrian B Guest

    "shipwreck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I test rode this bike today and really liked it. Retailing for $1100 in San Diego. Anyone riding
    > it and like to comment?

    Good day. Down in Australia, purchased the Spcialized Sequoia Expert about three months ago. Loving
    every minute of it. It's got a wonderful ride and I think a certain understated elegance.

    I've had a bit of problem with the tyres/tubes on both wheels however. Had a spectacular blow-out on
    the front yesterday (*KABOOM went the tyre*) and the rear tube split near the valve when pumping
    with a floor pump (!!). Possibly just bad luck as my partner also has the same bike and hasn't had a
    single problem. Tubes and tyres aren't the most expensive thing however...And the bike shop replaced
    both under warranty but I think that was more good luck on behalf than anything else *grin*

    Ride is wonderful, great handling and very comfortable (and adjustable). It seems to fly
    up hills....

    What ever you end up with go out and enjoy... Bikes are a personal thing and it needs to work
    with you :)

  3. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    I ride a Specialized Sequoia Sport as my commuter bike. I like the upright posture -- the adjustable
    stem lets me ride so I've got a good view of the traffic. And the auxillary brake levers are very
    helpful maintaining upright posture and stopping in traffic.

    The frame balances well - I can (semi) track-stand through a traffic light cycle. The bike take the
    bumps on my not-so-smooth commute.

    Problems -- the adjustable stem needs to be tightened ever so often. The

    auxillary brakes also needed an adjustment. I've had flats but can't blame that on the bike can I?

    This bike works for me.

    shipwreck wrote:

    > I test rode this bike today and really liked it. Retailing for $1100 in San Diego. Anyone riding
    > it and like to comment?

  4. Cori

    Cori Guest

    shipwreck wrote:
    > I test rode this bike today and really liked it. Retailing for $1100 in San Diego. Anyone riding
    > it and like to comment?

    I have the Sport, and I think it's an absolutely brilliant bike. Extremely comfortable, well set up,
    I just couldn't be happier. (All right, maybe a Serrota carbon/ti would make me happier ;) You won't
    regret it.

    Cori

  5. "Adrian B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "shipwreck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I test rode this bike today and really liked it. Retailing for $1100 in San Diego. Anyone riding
    > > it and like to comment?
    >
    > Good day. Down in Australia, purchased the Spcialized Sequoia Expert
    about
    > three months ago. Loving every minute of it. It's got a wonderful ride
    and I
    > think a certain understated elegance.
    >
    > I've had a bit of problem with the tyres/tubes on both wheels however.
    Had a
    > spectacular blow-out on the front yesterday (*KABOOM went the tyre*) and
    the
    > rear tube split near the valve when pumping with a floor pump (!!).
    Possibly
    > just bad luck as my partner also has the same bike and hasn't had a
    single
    > problem. Tubes and tyres aren't the most expensive thing however...And
    the
    > bike shop replaced both under warranty but I think that was more good
    luck
    > on behalf than anything else *grin*

    I don't know a thing about the Sequoia, but tires and tubes have nothing to do with the quality
    of a bike.

  6. Adrian B

    Adrian B Guest

    "one of the six billion" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Adrian B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > "shipwreck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > I test rode this bike today and really liked it. Retailing for $1100 in San Diego. Anyone
    > > > riding it and like to comment?
    > >
    > > Good day. Down in Australia, purchased the Spcialized Sequoia Expert
    > about
    > > three months ago. Loving every minute of it. It's got a wonderful ride
    > and I
    > > think a certain understated elegance.
    > >
    > > I've had a bit of problem with the tyres/tubes on both wheels however.
    > Had a
    > > spectacular blow-out on the front yesterday (*KABOOM went the tyre*) and
    > the
    > > rear tube split near the valve when pumping with a floor pump (!!).
    > Possibly
    > > just bad luck as my partner also has the same bike and hasn't had a
    > single
    > > problem. Tubes and tyres aren't the most expensive thing however...And
    > the
    > > bike shop replaced both under warranty but I think that was more good
    > luck
    > > on behalf than anything else *grin*
    > >

    > I don't know a thing about the Sequoia, but tires and tubes have nothing
    > do with the quality of a bike.

    I understand your perspective.

    However, a new bike with a few hundred kilometres on it shouldn't have the tyre rip/tear on
    clear, even road at moderate speed...! The tires came on the bike and are part of it which
    affects to the overall ownership experience. If I had replaced the tyres it has nothing to do
    with the bike. If they came on the bike, are branded Specialized, I feel the tyres manufacturing
    quality reflects on the bike.

    Bikes are assembled from bits from all sorts of component manufacturers. The brand stuck on the bike
    at the end of the day is responsible for their suppliers quality (from a consumer perspective).

    If your car climate control system fails do you call Visteon in Brazil (one of hundreds of component
    manufacturers) or GM/Ford/etc? The Ford Explorer SUV in the US certainly got into a little hot water
    in respects to the Bridgestone-Firestone tyres......?

    In summary: I love the bike and I'm very happy with the purchase. Just hoping my other tyre doesn't
    explode (sorry being cheeky) :)

  7. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    "Adrian B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "shipwreck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I test rode this bike today and really liked it. Retailing for $1100 in San Diego. Anyone riding
    > > it and like to comment?
    >
    > Good day. Down in Australia, purchased the Spcialized Sequoia Expert about three months ago.
    > Loving every minute of it. It's got a wonderful ride and
    > think a certain understated elegance.
    >
    > I've had a bit of problem with the tyres/tubes on both wheels however. Had
    > spectacular blow-out on the front yesterday (*KABOOM went the tyre*) and
    the
    > rear tube split near the valve when pumping with a floor pump (!!).
    Possibly
    > just bad luck as my partner also has the same bike and hasn't had a single problem. Tubes and
    > tyres aren't the most expensive thing however...And the bike shop replaced both under warranty but
    > I think that was more good luck on behalf than anything else *grin*
    >
    > Ride is wonderful, great handling and very comfortable (and adjustable).
    It
    > seems to fly up hills....
    >
    > What ever you end up with go out and enjoy... Bikes are a personal thing
    and
    > it needs to work with you :)

    Your blowouts had nothing to do with the overall quality of the bike. Some numb-nuts who installed
    your tires/tubes didn't know what he/she/it was doing.

    - Robin Hubert <[email protected]

  8. Shipwreck

    Shipwreck Guest

    Hey everyone. Thanks for the replys, it helps a lot. I'm going to test ride a few more, but I think
    that Expert's coming home to Papa. I'm gonna throw a rack on back and deal with a new seat.

    My last road bike was a Schwinn Continental, back in 1981. Technology's come a long way baby!

    See ya on the road.

    Gary