Guest
I an comissioning a custom 'badge' for the head tube for one of
my bikes. The artist needs to know the size of the head tube,
the diameter. I do not see any markings on the head tube itself.
Does anyone know the diamter of a 2003 Specialized Sequoia 55cm
aluminum frame?

Mike

Mike wrote:
> I an comissioning a custom 'badge' for the head tube for one of
> my bikes. The artist needs to know the size of the head tube,
> the diameter. I do not see any markings on the head tube itself.
> Does anyone know the diamter of a 2003 Specialized Sequoia 55cm
> aluminum frame?
>
> Mike

Circumference is pi*d or something, c'mon, where are the engineers, you
finally have a mission!!!

On 2006-11-13, Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]> wrote:

> Mike wrote:
>> I an comissioning a custom 'badge' for the head tube for one of
>> my bikes. The artist needs to know the size of the head tube,
>> the diameter. I do not see any markings on the head tube itself.
>> Does anyone know the diamter of a 2003 Specialized Sequoia 55cm
>> aluminum frame?
>>
>> Mike

> Circumference is pi*d or something, c'mon, where are the engineers, you
> finally have a mission!!!

Granted that is the formula. Rather than mistakenly tell the artist the
head tube is 71.2mm it would be much easier and more precise if someone
knows this bike has a 70mm or 72mm head tube.

The equation is normally express 2*Pi*R, and this is the same as Pi*DIAMETER.

Mike

Mike wrote:
> I an comissioning a custom 'badge' for the head tube for one of
> my bikes. The artist needs to know the size of the head tube,
> the diameter. I do not see any markings on the head tube itself.
> Does anyone know the diamter of a 2003 Specialized Sequoia 55cm
> aluminum frame?

If you can see the bike, wouldn't it be best to just measure it
yourself, perhaps with a strip of paper that you then put against a ruler?

Also, the Sequoia with its integrated headset has a head tube that
flares at the ends. Depending on where you expect to put the badge, the
outer diameter could vary:

http://specialized.com/OA_MEDIA/pdf/Sequoiabro.pdf

And I believe the frame is clearcoated (at least I think my 2003 Sequoia
Sport is), so that could affect the effective outer diameter too from
frame to frame.

--
I do not accept unsolicited commercial e-mail. Remove NO_UCE for
legitimate replies.

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 13:44:47 GMT, Mike <[email protected]> wrote:

>Granted that is the formula. Rather than mistakenly tell the artist the
>head tube is 71.2mm it would be much easier and more precise if someone
>knows this bike has a 70mm or 72mm head tube.

No, it would be more precise to actually measure the diameter, including
the paint layers. There is no way to know how thick the paint is on your
particular example.

Jasper