Specialized Sirrus

boffa

Oct 11, 2004
Hi there,

Has anyone on this forum own or ridden the 05' Specialized Sirrus Pro Disc? Flat Bar Roadbike
http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkMod...ylgd8wqv.j27011

I have had mine on order since October and there has been ongoing delays in arrival to Oz.

I have seen in the shop the Medium frame. Im waiting for an XL. They are a stunning looking bike and cant wait to get it.

Any comments would be appreciated.

boffa said:
Hi there,

Has anyone on this forum own or ridden the 05' Specialized Sirrus Pro Disc? Flat Bar Roadbike

I have had mine on order since October .......... .

You are patient beyond the call of duty.
I would be going nuts.

Looked at the Specialized but out of my price range.
Bought an 05 Avanti Blade Elite which is similar.
http://www.avantibikes.com/bikes_detail.asp?id=171&t=4

Lower grade grupo, no carbon, but $1000 less.

Very Happy. Every time I walk past it says" hey guy want a ride"

The Avanti Blade range is comparable and blows the Sirrus off the road in terms of value per dollar.

artemidorus said:
The Avanti Blade range is comparable and blows the Sirrus off the road in terms of value per dollar.
Yes, i did consider the Blade Pro. Although there was a delay on the that model until Jan. By then I thought , wait a little longer for the Sirrus.

I like the idea of disc brakes. All the bike shops I spoke to, and I spoke to plenty were of the view that yes, the Avanti is better equipped and better value but the Sirrus was a better bike.
Both look great and am sure will be excellent bikes. They are a long way off just comparing to a Hybrid. They are closer to a proper Road bikes but with the flat bar.

I havent ridden it but seen it and had already ordered my giant crx 1 - it is a PHAT looking bike... very nice... i cant believe u have waited since october, r they joking Ben

boffa said:
Hi there,

I have had mine on order since October and there has been ongoing delays in arrival to Oz.

I have seen in the shop the Medium frame. Im waiting for an XL. They are a stunning looking bike and cant wait to get it.

flatbarfanatic said:
I havent ridden it but seen it and had already ordered my giant crx 1 - it is a PHAT looking bike... very nice... i cant believe u have waited since october, r they joking Ben
I thought they were joking too...I looked at the CRX 1 and the Avanti Blade Pro as alternatives.
there has been a major delay in their release all over the world...I even rang Specialized in the US and was told the same thing.
But...good news! I have heard from the shop that it will here this weekend! i cant wait....the shop have been kind enough to lend me a bike in the meantime so thay have been very helpful.

Did you get your Sirrus? How do you like it? I am considering one for myself. How do you like the "compact Gearing" set-up with 2 chainrings? Would you prefer 3?

boffa said:
Hi there,

mrconservative said:
Did you get your Sirrus? How do you like it? I am considering one for myself. How do you like the "compact Gearing" set-up with 2 chainrings? Would you prefer 3?
hey there,

I have had it for just over a week now. It rides very well. The carbon forks and seat stays make for avery smooth ride.
Having just the 2 chain rings is fine. If i was doing extended hill riding it would be nice to have a third but for me I feel it is well geared.
Being flat bar geometry the riding postion is a lot more upright then a proper road bike. That is fine for me as I suffer from lower back pain occasionally. The rideability and comfort of it is great!
One thing to be aware of it that as the handlebar is carbon fibre also is that bar ends are not recommended on them. They did put them on when I collected it but a few days later the Bike shop called me to advise that bar ends on carbon fibre is not recommended by Specialized which i thought was dumb as I would think that the majority of riders would want them! I therefore need to take the bike back and have alloys handlebar fitted...

all in all i am very happy with it and would recommend it without hesitation. depending on where you are and what size frame you need availbility of them can be limited

I just saw a Sirrus at a local shop today and my first reaction was, very cool idea. It would be great as a commuter or around town bike, but I'd still prefer my standard road goemetry with drop bars for any long rides or training. One thing that occured to me though is that the hydraulic disc brakes might be a little bit of overkill on those skinny tires. Granted, the Specialized come with 28s, but I lock my 23s with my Ultegra rim brakes all the time.

boffa said:
hey there,

I have had it for just over a week now. It rides very well. The carbon forks and seat stays make for avery smooth ride.........
Hi

I picked up my Sirius Pro about three weeks ago and after just the 3rd ride (total 25 - 30 miles) I noticed a rubbing from the rear brake. The LBS changed the rear rotor but this has made no difference as this one does not run through the calliper straight either. The front one seems fine for the moment.

When you do get it adjusted so that it does not touch after about 20 miles it's touching again. Frankly the only thing I want touching the wheel is the road, brakes should only touch when I want them to and it's driving me nuts and spoiling what otherwise seems to be a really nice bike.

How have you gotten on with the brakes? Are the rotors straight?

boffa said:
hey there,

I have had it for just over a week now. It rides very well. The carbon forks and seat stays make for avery smooth ride.
Having just the 2 chain rings is fine. If i was doing extended hill riding it would be nice to have a third but for me I feel it is well geared.
Being flat bar geometry the riding postion is a lot more upright then a proper road bike. That is fine for me as I suffer from lower back pain occasionally. The rideability and comfort of it is great!
One thing to be aware of it that as the handlebar is carbon fibre also is that bar ends are not recommended on them. They did put them on when I collected it but a few days later the Bike shop called me to advise that bar ends on carbon fibre is not recommended by Specialized which i thought was dumb as I would think that the majority of riders would want them! I therefore need to take the bike back and have alloys handlebar fitted...

all in all i am very happy with it and would recommend it without hesitation. depending on where you are and what size frame you need availbility of them can be limited

I am just about to buy one but I am still concerned about the twin cog on the front. I have a 30-odd mile round trip to work four times a week and come across a few hills on the way.....not long hills but quite steep. I am unsure if the twin arrangement will get me up them without to much fuss. I recently bought a drop with a twin and going up the hils kills me....I don't wan't to make the same mistake. Anyone have anything positive to say about the gearing on the Pro?
cheers
pmat

Buy a triple!!!

I am changing my SR81 to 13-23 rear, and 26/39/52 front. The best of both, close ratios for the flats and 2 smaller rings for the hills... :cool:

gclark8 said:
Buy a triple!!!

I am changing my SR81 to 13-23 rear, and 26/39/52 front. The best of both, close ratios for the flats and 2 smaller rings for the hills... :cool:
What do you mean? Buy a bike with a triple to start with, or convert the Sirrus Pro? I'd love the Sirrus but the double is putting me off. I have been looking for a local shop that has one in stock (to try it out) but no-one has one. So, it looks like the less attractive Marin Highway One which has a triple but costs £200 more.

Any good LBS should be able to quote on a double or triple, the parts are similarly priced. My LBS does 2-3, 3-2 swaps all the time. Try another shop if they want big bucks for the triple.

I can see the attraction of Discs, but if rim brakes are ok, have a look at Felt SR81 as well, it comes with a 30-42-52 triple. http://www.felt.de/felt05/speed/speed.html

I just got a specialized pro myself and I was a bit sceptical at first but am now very happy with it. The double chain ring is proven a bit to get used to as I am used to a triple ring setup. In my opinion if you are using a triple ring now and get into your lowest gears to get up hills then the sirrus pro is probably not the bike for you. I never really used my lowest gears anayway and the bike is heaps lighter than my last bike so it balances out as a good package. I have also gitted bar ends so I hope I dont run into trouble with those.

i have a sirrus comp (the model down from the pro) and i love it. for commuting i think they are hard to go past and they are also good on the longer hauls. i took it up mt hotham and buffalo a few months ago.

but now that i am getting more into cycling i will be getting a road bike in the next few months and convert the sirrus to stricly a touring/commuting bike.

the avanti blades are nice bikes but they weigh a fair bit more. that is why i paid the extra for the sirrus.

the brake pads are awful. replace them asap. other than that the bike rocks!

if you want a good, stiff and light bike for running around town as long as the occasional long haul on the weekend the sirrus comp is a good bet. they are fairly tough too.

i am not sure about having disks on flat bar roadies. seems like extra weight to carry around if you ask me. that is why i prefer the comp to the pro.

super dog said:
i have a sirrus comp (the model down from the pro) and i love it. for commuting i think they are hard to go past and they are also good on the longer hauls. i took it up mt hotham and buffalo a few months ago.

but now that i am getting more into cycling i will be getting a road bike in the next few months and convert the sirrus to stricly a touring/commuting bike.

the avanti blades are nice bikes but they weigh a fair bit more. that is why i paid the extra for the sirrus.

the brake pads are awful. replace them asap. other than that the bike rocks!

if you want a good, stiff and light bike for running around town as long as the occasional long haul on the weekend the sirrus comp is a good bet. they are fairly tough too.

i am not sure about having disks on flat bar roadies. seems like extra weight to carry around if you ask me. that is why i prefer the comp to the pro.
can i get another update on you disc situation

the one you got is a bit outta my price range

i got discs on my giant VT3 mtb.... but i think they might be overkill on a road/asphalt bike

my bike (sirrus comp) does not have disks. it is the sirrus pro that has disks. the sirrus comp has v-brakes but the pads are awful, so i suggest replacing them.

there is a model down from the sirrus comp called the sirrus elite (i think) and that is a fair bit cheaper so that may be an option for you.

IMO disk brakes do not belong on flat bar road bikes.