Specialized Sirrus

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by bahamas, Mar 7, 2013.

1. bahamas

bahamas New Member

What is the best race tire and wheel for this bike?

Tags:

2. dabac

dabac Well-Known Member

#1) w/o knowing your weight, making a useful wheel recommendation is difficult
    #2) w/o knowing your budget, making a useful wheel recommendation is difficult
    #3) w/o knowing your strength,making a useful wheel recommendation is difficult
    #4) making a useful tire recommendation is dependent on knowing:
    - rider weight
    - intended ride surface
    - clearance at fork crown, chain stays and brake bridge
    - how you feel about flats, weight and rolling resistance
    - and to a lesser degree the width of the rim you intend to fit the tire to

And we have none of the above.

Besides, a quick search indicates that specialized sirrus is a flat bar hybrid, what do you hope to gain by putting "race tire and wheel" on a hybrid?

You're not even telling if it's for a disc brake or a rim brake sirrus. A disc brake "race wheel" is likely to a different beast entirely from a rim brake "race wheel".

3. danfoz

danfoz Well-Known Member

All the above.

I was once of the opinion that the best all around race wheel was the 2010 Zipp 303 tubular which Cancellara rode to victory at Paris-Roubaix. Light, aerodynamic and bulletproof. Though there were lighter wheels, more aero wheels, and stronger wheels, the 303 seemed to embody just enough of each to make it standout.

But the idea of $3000 tubbies on a $500 Sirrus is somewhat laughable.

Why not just start with a tire upgrade? You could feel a noticeable difference.

4. bahamas

bahamas New Member

Apparently posts must be condescending and holier than thou. Guess I will just leave this site completely. Better things to do. It is all yours. I am gone.

5. danfoz

danfoz Well-Known Member

Who are you talking too? dabac asked exactly the right questions that would be needed for a worthwile response. If you are referring to my use of the word "laughable" I was actually patronizing my own answer. But good luck in your future endeavors, rinsing the sand out of your speedos may help.

6. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

Clement CX/CG green, aged and Tubasti mounted on a T&S Fiamme Gold Label 32H / 3X with Campy C-Record greasable hubs.

Yes. I'm absolutely positive. You WILL win on this combination.

7. dabac

dabac Well-Known Member

At the off chance that you're still reading here - you've gotta realize that you've pretty much done the equivalent of saying "I'm ill, what medicine should I take?" And I don't think you'd expect a doc to prescribe you something from that.
    Mind reading is not a required ability to be allowed to post here.

There are people here who'd be happy to talk you through the pros and cons of various options, but any worthwhile answer has to be based on more information that you have provided.
    If you feel that the responses were too blunt in pointing that out - well, too bad.
    That wasn't the intention, but I definitely think that you're seeing more offence in the replies than the posters actually put there.

We could have acted on blind speculation of course.
    But you don't need our help to do that.
    Just figure out the rear dropout spacing of your bike - could be either 130 or 135 mm, then google your heart out for "race wheels" compatible with the type of cassette you have.
    Basically anything that isn't Campagnolo ought to work.

8. Volnix

Volnix Well-Known Member

/img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif
    [​IMG]

9. CellCycle

CellCycle New Member

Okay, so I stumbled on this thread when I was doing some research to replace my wheels on my sirrus. I'm getting back into cycling after a 4 year hiatus and will eventually upgrade to a full road bike. In the meantime, my sirrus needs a new wheel because of a thump thump even after I fixed a spoke. I'm not looking to convert to a full road bike tire, or try to make a hybrid bike something it's not, but just looking to get a new wheelset for 20-30 miles rides, hilly so only about 10-13 mph, on flat roads I average about 17-19 mph. I'm 150 lbs. Any recommendations? I'm not looking to spend a fortune, and have been seeing some sales on wheelsets through Nashbar? Vuelta? Easton? I know nothing on brands etc. <$500 for a set? The currrent wheels are factory, a slight upgrade?

10. oldbobcat

oldbobcat Well-Known Member

Is this the older drop-bar Sirrus or the newer flat-bar fitness model? And are you replacing wheels or just tires?

11. CellCycle

CellCycle New Member

The tires appear to still be in good condition, other than a tack I hit the other day. I was hoping just to do wheels if possible. It is an older model, not the new one.

12. oldbobcat

oldbobcat Well-Known Member

So this is the flat-bar hybrid.

Chances are your rear dropouts are spaced at 135 mm, which means hybrid wheels. Road spacing is 130 mm. If you like challenges, you can buy road wheels and swap out the rear axle and washers, but unless you're handy with the cone wrenches and 1/4" loose balls, this is not what I recommend.

Others might recommend squeezing the stays to 130 mm and squaring up the dropouts, or even not squaring the dropouts (Hey, it's only 2.5 mm on each side). This is easier said than done with a heat-treated aluminum frame.

Ask your local shop what they have available in hybrid wheels with good hubs and double-wall rims. If they have an account with J&B Importers, I suggest catalog #74796, a pair of Shimano Deore hubs laced to Sun CR18 rims, retail price around $170-180. Deore hubs are pretty excellent and Sun rims are real bang for the buck. J&B also has a couple wheels built around lesser hubs Weinmann ZAC19 rims. These are also quite good.

13. CellCycle

CellCycle New Member

Great thanks for your input!