Specialized, Trek or Scott

simon h

Apr 14, 2006
Hello everyone. I need some advice on which bike i should get. i'm really stuck. its between a 'specialized tarmac expert', a 'trek madone 5.2' or a 'scott cr1 pro'.:confused: please help. you choose. THANK YOU. Vino for le Tour.:D

Scott CR1. Anyone who has it will say it`s the best bike they ever ride. Most of our team has them and all say it`s the best. Ask Simoni..:)

simon h said:
Hello everyone. I need some advice on which bike i should get. i'm really stuck. its between a 'specialized tarmac expert', a 'trek madone 5.2' or a 'scott cr1 pro'.:confused: please help. you choose. THANK YOU. Vino for le Tour.:D
which one feels best?

-Matt

i prefer compact frames... so i'm gonna go with either Specialized or Scott... all those bikes are high-end bikes... and it seems that you prefer carbon instead of ti, alu or steel. have you considered ti-frame? they are strong and comfortable but they don't respond well as alu. or carbon bikes. there are alot more bikes out there that you can afford with your budget... so good luck!

CR1 .... if you do some googling...the CR1 in independent testing (from a German magazine I believe) is stiffer than the Trek but yet a very comfy all around bike.

you can't really go wrong with any of the three... my question is if you have had a bike fit done? I'm assuming you haven't... if you have then go with the one you can get the best deal on.

However... if you haven't had a proper fitting done, I would highly recommend it. I'm not talking about sitting on the bike and making sure you don't bag yourself on the toptube... I'm talking having your measurements taken and having your riding position dialed in. Based on the results of that, I would go with the bike that would require the least amount of "tweaking" from stock out of the box setup.

thanks for your help everyone. I took them all out for a spin. and decided to get the tarmac expert. cheers guys.:D

simon h said:
thanks for your help everyone. I took them all out for a spin. and decided to get the tarmac expert. cheers guys.:D

A guy I ride with has the Scott - it rattles and squeeks all over the road. He hates it.

Trek are a plain Jane bike - very uninspiring.

Specialized S-works Tarmac SL - wow! I bought one of them :)

miday said:
A guy I ride with has the Scott - it rattles and squeeks all over the road. He hates it.

Trek are a plain Jane bike - very uninspiring.

Specialized S-works Tarmac SL - wow! I bought one of them :)

His must be the only one :)

Rudy said:
His must be the only one :)

BTW those specs on the CR1 are now pretty old - the SL beats it hands down. But then this is nothing to brag about as it's only a matter of time before the SL gets beaten. But ubtil then the SL is the one. :D

simon h said:
Why not a WATERFORD, SEVEN, or IF?

Or, a "small builder" custom frame?

So straight away I'd say this is a flawed test. Also it is produced by Cervelo - hardly going to be objective. Besides there is more than number s to a bike otherwise the numbers would correlate with sales. The facts here speak for themselves. If it were price alone the sales would suggest that Giant wins every time. Scott's reputation has not withstood the test of time when it comes to the CR. Cervello too has a reputation for lower quality joins. Specialized on the other hand has gone from strength to strngth. Some of theat due to very clever marketing. But I've ridden all the bikes I've mentioned and found the SL to be substancially better to ride and it feels fast. There own "independent" tests put them way in front as I suspect do most other makers.

Rudy said:
See this test..... BTW it is the Specialized SL in the test. The table had a misprint for the specialzed.

http://www.cervelo.com/reviews/Flexing Their Muscles.pdf

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/p...c&highlight=specialized+sworks+tarmac&start=0

The police department where I live switched from Trek to Specialized, a few years back. And they feel Specialized is a better bike.

I read 'American' as the bike. I have an S-Works and it says 'handmade in Taiwan' on the frame. The components are all Campag. So where is the American there?

Handmade in Taiwan? That`s funny.:) Handmade is bullsh**. They`re no better than usual made bikes. They`re just more valuable. I know bikes are handmade in USA and Italy but I`ve never heard of handmade in Taiwan!:D Brand is American. That`s it. When someone looks at your bike he sees Specialized and not handmade in Taiwan.