Specialized TT Bikes

Roadie_scum

Nov 14, 2003
Is it just me, or do they use the same frame throughout their transition lineup (except the multisport)? If this is the case, the elite is exceptionally good value, whereas the pro is appalling. Anyone know for sure? I weighed an elite that was stock except Zipp 404 front, disc rear, and it was only a touch over 8kg. Pretty good for a sub $2k TT specific aero bike. What do you guys think?

Roadie_scum said:
Is it just me, or do they use the same frame throughout their transition lineup (except the multisport)? If this is the case, the elite is exceptionally good value, whereas the pro is appalling. Anyone know for sure? I weighed an elite that was stock except Zipp 404 front, disc rear, and it was only a touch over 8kg. Pretty good for a sub $2k TT specific aero bike. What do you guys think?
I would like to know what the difference in the frames is. But the difference in price also has to do with the dura ace parts and zipp wheels.

ROCYC said:
I would like to know what the difference in the frames is. But the difference in price also has to do with the dura ace parts and zipp wheels.

True that, although the penalty in 105 10 speed compared to dura-ace is not so high anymore. A bit of weight, a bit of wear, but TT bikes are designed for flat courses and aren't ridden as much as roadies. The Zipp wheels I would view as a negative - most TTers/triathletes have a wheel choice, and it normally isn't a metal-sidewalled carbon clincher. I am thinking that in terms of performance for money it would be smarter to buy the 105 bike and a set of deep tubulars or a deep front and a disc. This might not apply if you were doing crazy miles on the TT bike and consequently were going to wear through your parts quickly.