Specialized vs. Gary Fisher

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Austin Bike, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Austin Bike

    Austin Bike Guest

    I am in the market for a new FS bike (currently have an older hardtail) but have a limited budget -
    I need to keep it under $1500. I'm an intermediate rider, drops are no problem but climbing is not
    my strength. Most of the trails here in Austin are rocky and sandy, you only get mud in the spring
    and fall when it rains. I don't relish the real technical stuff but using a FS this past weekend,
    I'm better at the technical with FS over HT (it's probably 80-90% psychological).

    I'm looking at mainly a Gary Fisher Sugar 3+ ($1499 USD) or a Specialized Stumpjumper ($1359 USD)
    and am interested in your opinions between the two brands in general (i.e. quality, support,
    durability, service, ease of use, etc.)

    I have also considered (but not ridden) the Jamis Dakar, Giant NRS-3 and the Trek Fuel (80/90).

    Thanks in advance for your opinions. Oh, and Mike V, I'm not interested in your opinion, so keep it
    to yourself.

    Tags:

  2. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    "Austin Bike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am in the market for a new FS bike (currently have an older hardtail)
    but
    > have a limited budget - I need to keep it under $1500. I'm an intermediate rider, drops are no
    > problem but climbing is not my strength. Most of the trails here in Austin are rocky and sandy,
    > you only get mud in the spring and fall when it rains. I don't relish the real technical stuff
    > but using
    > FS this past weekend, I'm better at the technical with FS over HT (it's probably 80-90%
    > psychological).
    >
    > I'm looking at mainly a Gary Fisher Sugar 3+ ($1499 USD) or a Specialized Stumpjumper ($1359 USD)
    > and am interested in your opinions between the two brands in general (i.e. quality, support,
    > durability, service, ease of
    use,
    > etc.)
    >
    > I have also considered (but not ridden) the Jamis Dakar, Giant NRS-3 and
    the
    > Trek Fuel (80/90).
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your opinions. Oh, and Mike V, I'm not interested
    in
    > your opinion, so keep it to yourself.

    All of the bikes you've listed are fine, quality bikes. You find a few here that have very strong
    opinions about some of the brands. Take them, and this opinion, for what they're worth.

    The 3 most important things to remember when purchasing a new bike are fit, fit and fit. Seriously,
    a good fit on the worst from your list will be more fun to ride than the best bike with a lousy fit.
    Ride the bikes as much as possible before you decide. Also, your choice of an LBS is very important.
    Make sure that you like the people that you will have to deal with for sales and support and that
    you trust the mechanic's technical skills.

    Good Luck!

    Bruce

  3. Baxter

    Baxter Guest

    > I am in the market for a new FS bike (currently have an older hardtail)
    but
    > have a limited budget - I need to keep it under $1500. I'm an intermediate rider, drops are no
    > problem but climbing is not my strength. Most of the trails here in Austin are rocky and sandy,
    > you only get mud in the spring and fall when it rains. I don't relish the real technical stuff
    > but using
    > FS this past weekend, I'm better at the technical with FS over HT (it's probably 80-90%
    > psychological).
    >
    > I'm looking at mainly a Gary Fisher Sugar 3+ ($1499 USD) or a Specialized Stumpjumper ($1359 USD)
    > and am interested in your opinions between the two brands in general (i.e. quality, support,
    > durability, service, ease of
    use,
    > etc.)
    >
    > I have also considered (but not ridden) the Jamis Dakar, Giant NRS-3 and
    the
    > Trek Fuel (80/90).

    You NEED to ride them all if you're considering buying them. Those big companies and a reliable
    local shop are going to be fine. The ride qualities and geometry differences are very significant. A
    good friend went to a shop's "demo day" last spring and riding the bike he was certain he was going
    to buy changed his mind when he could ride comparable bikes from the same shop. Once you decide on
    what bike you'd like to buy, do your price comparing. I think the GF Sugar 3's Mfg's Suggested
    Retail is $1499, the shop should be able to come down a bit from there. A local shop here has the
    2003 Sugar 3+ for $1400 + tax (I'm in Grand Rapids, MI). Good luck.

    Greg

  4. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "Austin Bike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>... <snip same old song and dance question>
    > Oh, and Mike V, I'm not interested in your opinion, so keep it to yourself.

    Well done, you just activated crap filters for at least half of the newsgroup. Good luck with your
    feeble search.

    JD get a rigid singlespeed

  5. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    I think Ned could take Gary any day.

    Mike

  6. Dennis Baker

    Dennis Baker Guest

    "Austin Bike" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > I'm looking at mainly a Gary Fisher Sugar 3+ ($1499 USD) or a Specialized Stumpjumper ($1359 USD)
    > and am interested in your opinions between the two brands in general (i.e. quality, support,
    > durability, service, ease of use, etc.)

    I have a Fisher Sugar 3+ and don't think it's worth $1499. I paid $850 for mine about 16 month ago
    and think it was a good deal. If I was going to spend $1500 I think I would spend it on something
    from a smaller outfit such as Ventana or Titus. You will be limited to lower end components but will
    be better off in the long run because the build quality is a world better.

    > I have also considered (but not ridden) the Jamis Dakar, Giant NRS-3 and the Trek Fuel (80/90).

    I've heard good things about the Giant NRS3 and the Jamis Dakar but haven't ridden them.

    -- The Ogre

  7. Per Löwdin

    Per Löwdin Guest

    > I'm looking at mainly a Gary Fisher Sugar 3+ ($1499 USD) or a Specialized Stumpjumper ($1359 USD)
    > and am interested in your opinions between the two brands in general (i.e. quality, support,
    > durability, service, ease of
    use,
    > etc.)

    The Stumpjumber has FSR suspension. It is far better than Fishers.

    Per

  8. Per Löwdin

    Per Löwdin Guest

    > If I was going to spend $1500 I think I would spend it on something from
    > smaller outfit such as Ventana or Titus.

    Don´t have any personal experience of Ventana but can vouch for Titus. Excellent frames. I ride a
    Switchblade and my wife a Racer-X. However, for 1500 $ you will just get the frame.

    Per http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/English.html