specialized VS. Trek

nman123

Apr 9, 2004
which is better? i am sort of confused. I am looking for a new bike and have narrowed it down to a specialized and a trek, and i was wondering, overall, which company made better bikes.:confused: :confused:

Originally posted by nman123
which is better? i am sort of confused. I am looking for a new bike and have narrowed it down to a specialized and a trek, and i was wondering, overall, which company made better bikes.:confused: :confused:
They both make good bikes.The better ones cost more.

Originally posted by nman123

Both good brands.
Fit and ergonomic issues like the saddle make much more difference than brand or models. Tires that are designed for your type riding also make a bid difference. I realize that:
1. I didn't answer your question
2. Your confusion is common because it's a challenge to focus on small things like the saddle, brake/shift levers, position, and tires when the comparisons you see are much more about other features, component levels, frame materials, etc.
Ride lots of bikes as far as the shops will let you. Find out what feels best to you and what shop(s) will help you get the ergonomic issues tuned best to your needs.

They both build from extremely cheap to extremely expensive high end bikes. Both are very good. You're really going to have to pay a lot of attention to what exactly you are looking for in a bike since they will have different characteristics depending on design.

shokhead12 said:
Whats better,i'm tired.

I honestly dont think that you can compare the two brands. I have a stumpy FSR 04 and I love it. Trek has its liquids. It really depends on how you like the bike. Its like comparing apples and oranges. Both are fruit, but you may like one a hell of alot more than the other. Treks road cycles are great, but specialized makes nice ones too. Besides unless you are a pro, the differences are gonna be component packages, value, and how you like the ride.

nman123 said:
trek is way better.
they've been building bikes for 28 years and are simply unable to beat

They are very comparable;it's like BMW and Mercedes,they have their own atributes but they offer the same quality at their respective levels like BMW 3 series/ C Class Mercedes;BMW 5 series/ E Class Mercedes;BMW 7 series/Mercedes S Class ...you get it :D .
So it doesn't matter if it's a Trek,Specialized,Cannondale,GT,Norco,Rocky Mountain,etc..it's the level of equipment that they come with that matters;in fact i heard that GT makes the frames for most bike makers :cool: ,i know kinda pisses me off too but this is it and there is nothing you can do about it :p .
Dan

Take a look at the 05 frames that Specialized is offering and you'll be left wondering why Trek is so far behind. Specialized's frames are far and above Trek's, but for the same money you'll get better components on a trek bike. With specialized $600 will get you a bike with Alivio components, with trek $600 will get you a bike with Deore components. Not much difference, but it's there.

Personally I buy Specialized, right now I'm in the process of putting XT/XTR components on an 05 Rockhopper frame. Also I'm ordering an Allez Comp with Ultegra/Dura-Ace components as soon as Specialized will let me.

I kind of asked my self that same question and found good and bad in both brands ended up being the paint job that sealed the deal. It’s like looking at cars you will find good and bad in all of them just wish you could take a little piece of each one and get what you really want.

2005 Specialized Hardrock Pro Disc (Blue Flame)

Ride Ride Ride... The more you testride a bike the more you know about the way it handles and whether or not you'll like the brakes, the seat, and the way you position your body over the frame. If I can't testride a bike and come back 10 minutes later ask some questions, trade bikes and go out again several times, I won't buy anything. You are the only one who can decide the best bike for you! Don't look at a name and base your poinion on that, listen to your body when you testride the bikes and it will tell you everything you need to know.
Good luck and Happy hunting!

why would you have a allez comp with ultegra and dura ace o_O
get a full carbon bike with those components

blooooom said:
why would you have a allez comp with ultegra and dura ace o_O get a full carbon bike with those components
Why? There is nothing implicitly better about a CF frame. There is absolutely nothing at all wrong with an Allez Comp. It is true that marketing guys and gals love to talk about CF and that alleged magic it produces.

blooooom said:
why would you have a allez comp with ultegra and dura ace o_O
get a full carbon bike with those components
I completely agree, that is as stupid as putting dura-ace on a steel bike, literally nobody will ever do it I can guarantee that. Carbon for the win all the time!