Specific wheelset question

red_cdale

Jan 10, 2005
I don't really know much about wheelset. i wanna know whether Mavic Cosmos suitable for use in cyclocross/touring bike? Does it withstand any abuse in everyday and trail riding? Thankss

red_cdale said:
I don't really know much about wheelset. i wanna know whether Mavic Cosmos suitable for use in cyclocross/touring bike? Does it withstand any abuse in everyday and trail riding? Thankss
How much do you weigh? 32 or 36 spokes is usually a better choice for the applications you are interested in.
What is your availability to the unique hub parts and service of these wheels?
What is the Over Locknut Dimension (OLD) of your bicycle?
Many Cyclocross and touring bicycles today have 132.5 or 135 mm OLD. They favor the Shimano mountain bicycle hubs due to their stength, durability, and easily available service.
Wider tires used in cyclocross and touring perform better and last longer with wider rims.

red_cdale said:
Don't buy them. I was using them for cyclocross wheels and they came out of true right away. I checked the tension on them and it was wacky bad. I had to retrue them. I weigh 150-160 pounds. Generally build my own wheels but these came as part of a package deal with a bike so I figured I would get some usage out of them. Similar complaints on rec.bicycles.tech. Get some handbuilt wheels from your local shop.