Specific workouts for just getting back

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by psc9, Dec 22, 2011.

1. psc9

psc9 New Member

This was my first year back consistently training in a few years. I fould that I was able to get my FTP to ~93% of my prior FTP. What happened is that I'd achieve these wattages with a high (95+ rpms) cadence. This was fine on the trainer/rollers (and for my ego!), but in cross races, I found myself getting blown out by having to push gears through muddy sections or grinding hills.

Anyone insights as to how I should train my ability to produce the same watts at lower cadences?

Thanks!
    Pat

Tags:

2. hrumpole

hrumpole New Member

One suggestion...

3. cooljazz

cooljazz New Member

Pat,
    I've found that pushing a lower cadence mostly just takes some getting used to. When I first started training with power, I found it easier to get higher watts at a lower cadence. I'm talking, in the 78-82 rpm range. Over time, my self selected cadence at power has increased to the point that on the trainer this Winter, I found myself in the 94-98 rpm range. When I first tried pushing that back down into the 80's (my normal self-selected range on the road), it felt hard at first. But it hasn't taken me long to get used to it again. I think, as Hrumpole suggests, just do it and it will get trained. One final suggestion: It also seems to require more core support to push a bigger gear so working on your core support might help.
    -richard