Specifications of any bike alarm

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Navid Naghdi, May 12, 2004.

  1. Navid Naghdi

    Navid Naghdi Guest

    Hi,

    Because I'm going to design and make a bike alarm; for my report
    I will require to write about existing products and their specifications.
    So far it has been difficult to get my hands on any bicycle alarm
    around my area here in the UK.

    It will be appreciated if you could offer some links relating to
    bicycle alarms listing its specifications or any other bits of
    information I will need to keep in mind.

    Thanks in advance

    Navid

    Tags:

  2. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On 12 May 2004 01:13:59 -0700, [email protected] (Navid Naghdi)
    wrote:
    >Because I'm going to design and make a bike alarm; for my report
    >I will require to write about existing products and their specifications.
    >So far it has been difficult to get my hands on any bicycle alarm
    >around my area here in the UK.
    >
    >It will be appreciated if you could offer some links relating to
    >bicycle alarms listing its specifications or any other bits of
    >information I will need to keep in mind.

    When I was a small child, having been well-fed of the common (here
    in the US, anyway) drug propaganda, I was paranoid that "anything
    could be replaced by drugs", and I was especially paranoid that my
    bike would be. So, I had an alarm on it.

    It clamped on to the handlebar like any other accessory. It had a
    numeric keypad on it, into which a code must be typed before
    disturbing the bike, and a motion sensor to trip if somebody does
    touch the bike. At that point, it would make a moderately loud siren
    wail. I wonder how often my dad had bumped it walking through the
    garage and set it off?

    It was made entirely of plastic. I'm sure that it could have been
    disabled and destroyed with an adult's bare hands; surely a rock or
    hammer would work.

    Maybe something that is well-armored (probably built-into a U-lock).

    Even better, inserted into the seat tube and wired internally to the
    dropouts to detect a wheel moving/being removed. It would have to
    have a built-in cell phone connection and location tracking; just a
    wailing siren is useless nowadays, at least here in the US. A
    remote-control disarm would be necessary; this way, the alarm cannot
    be accessed without removing the seatpost (also wired to the alarm).

    So, something like LoJack (for that matter, how about something
    using the LoJack network, although I don't know if it exists outside
    the US), to fit inside the seat tube below the seatpost, armed and
    disarmed with a small RF remote control (like an automotive alarm),
    able to detect spinning wheels and removed components,
    and...er...fires a sharp spike through the seat when somebody steals
    the bike, puncturing the thief.
    --
    Rick Onanian

  3. billlee

    billlee Guest

[...]

    Shouldn't there be some sort of instant glue that exudes from the
    handgrips?

    --

  4. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On Wed, 12 May 2004 14:04:55 GMT, billlee
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Shouldn't there be some sort of instant glue that exudes from the
    >handgrips?

    Standard "Superglue" bonds to human skin nearly instantly.
    --
    Rick Onanian

  5. DiabloScott

    DiabloScott Guest

    Rick Onanian wrote:
    > On Wed, 12 May 2004 14:04:55 GMT, billlee <usenet-
    > [email protected]> wrote:
    > >Shouldn't there be some sort of instant glue that exudes from the
    > >handgrips?

    > Standard "Superglue" bonds to human skin nearly instantly.
    > --
    > Rick Onanian

    Quorum used to make a bicycle theft alarm - I don't think they sold very
    many though. I saw them at some event where they were trying to market
    the little things and most folks just laughed. Quorum is still around
    and they make personal alarms for kids, joggers, that kind of stuff so
    you might find something on the bike theft alarm somewhere. Good luck on
    your project, but I still think they'll never sell.

    --

  6. Chalo

    Chalo Guest

    > So, something like LoJack (for that matter, how about something using
    > the LoJack network, although I don't know if it exists outside the US),
    > to fit inside the seat tube below the seatpost, armed and disarmed with
    > a small RF remote control (like an automotive alarm), able to detect
    > spinning wheels and removed components, and...er...fires a sharp spike
    > through the seat when somebody steals the bike, puncturing the thief.

    Or you could use a system that jettisons the saddle padding, exposing one of these:

    http://fullspeedahead.com/products/road/images/seats/hi-res/k-force-sd-lite.jpg

    That should have the thief seeking a proctologist in a jiffy.

    Chalo

  7. Tom Keats

    Tom Keats Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (Navid Naghdi) writes:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Because I'm going to design and make a bike alarm; for my report
    > I will require to write about existing products and their specifications.
    > So far it has been difficult to get my hands on any bicycle alarm
    > around my area here in the UK.
    >
    > It will be appreciated if you could offer some links relating to
    > bicycle alarms listing its specifications or any other bits of
    > information I will need to keep in mind.

    Those things seem to be more popular among skiers
    and snowboarders. So a Google search on words:
    ski snowboard "alarm lock"
    should turn something up for you.

    cheers,
    Tom