Specifications of any bike alarm

Navid Naghdi

Guest
Hi,

Because I'm going to design and make a bike alarm; for my report
I will require to write about existing products and their specifications.
So far it has been difficult to get my hands on any bicycle alarm
around my area here in the UK.

It will be appreciated if you could offer some links relating to
bicycle alarms listing its specifications or any other bits of
information I will need to keep in mind.

Thanks in advance

Navid

On 12 May 2004 01:13:59 -0700, [email protected] (Navid Naghdi)
wrote:
>Because I'm going to design and make a bike alarm; for my report
>I will require to write about existing products and their specifications.
>So far it has been difficult to get my hands on any bicycle alarm
>around my area here in the UK.
>
>It will be appreciated if you could offer some links relating to
>bicycle alarms listing its specifications or any other bits of
>information I will need to keep in mind.

When I was a small child, having been well-fed of the common (here
in the US, anyway) drug propaganda, I was paranoid that "anything
could be replaced by drugs", and I was especially paranoid that my
bike would be. So, I had an alarm on it.

It clamped on to the handlebar like any other accessory. It had a
numeric keypad on it, into which a code must be typed before
disturbing the bike, and a motion sensor to trip if somebody does
touch the bike. At that point, it would make a moderately loud siren
wail. I wonder how often my dad had bumped it walking through the
garage and set it off?

It was made entirely of plastic. I'm sure that it could have been
disabled and destroyed with an adult's bare hands; surely a rock or
hammer would work.

Maybe something that is well-armored (probably built-into a U-lock).

Even better, inserted into the seat tube and wired internally to the
dropouts to detect a wheel moving/being removed. It would have to
have a built-in cell phone connection and location tracking; just a
wailing siren is useless nowadays, at least here in the US. A
remote-control disarm would be necessary; this way, the alarm cannot
be accessed without removing the seatpost (also wired to the alarm).

So, something like LoJack (for that matter, how about something
using the LoJack network, although I don't know if it exists outside
the US), to fit inside the seat tube below the seatpost, armed and
disarmed with a small RF remote control (like an automotive alarm),
able to detect spinning wheels and removed components,
and...er...fires a sharp spike through the seat when somebody steals
the bike, puncturing the thief.
--
Rick Onanian

[...]

Shouldn't there be some sort of instant glue that exudes from the
handgrips?

--

On Wed, 12 May 2004 14:04:55 GMT, billlee
<[email protected]> wrote:
>Shouldn't there be some sort of instant glue that exudes from the
>handgrips?

Standard "Superglue" bonds to human skin nearly instantly.
--
Rick Onanian

Rick Onanian wrote:
> On Wed, 12 May 2004 14:04:55 GMT, billlee <usenet-
> [email protected]> wrote:
> >Shouldn't there be some sort of instant glue that exudes from the
> >handgrips?

> Standard "Superglue" bonds to human skin nearly instantly.
> --
> Rick Onanian

Quorum used to make a bicycle theft alarm - I don't think they sold very
many though. I saw them at some event where they were trying to market
the little things and most folks just laughed. Quorum is still around
and they make personal alarms for kids, joggers, that kind of stuff so
you might find something on the bike theft alarm somewhere. Good luck on
your project, but I still think they'll never sell.

--

> So, something like LoJack (for that matter, how about something using
> the LoJack network, although I don't know if it exists outside the US),
> to fit inside the seat tube below the seatpost, armed and disarmed with
> a small RF remote control (like an automotive alarm), able to detect
> spinning wheels and removed components, and...er...fires a sharp spike
> through the seat when somebody steals the bike, puncturing the thief.

Or you could use a system that jettisons the saddle padding, exposing one of these:

http://fullspeedahead.com/products/road/images/seats/hi-res/k-force-sd-lite.jpg

That should have the thief seeking a proctologist in a jiffy.

Chalo

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Navid Naghdi) writes:
> Hi,
>
> Because I'm going to design and make a bike alarm; for my report
> I will require to write about existing products and their specifications.
> So far it has been difficult to get my hands on any bicycle alarm
> around my area here in the UK.
>
> It will be appreciated if you could offer some links relating to
> bicycle alarms listing its specifications or any other bits of
> information I will need to keep in mind.

Those things seem to be more popular among skiers
and snowboarders. So a Google search on words:
ski snowboard "alarm lock"
should turn something up for you.

cheers,
Tom