Specifications of any bike alarm

Navid Naghdi

Guest
Hi,

Because I'm going to design and make a bike alarm; for my
report I will require to write about existing products and
their specifications. So far it has been difficult to get my
hands on any bicycle alarm around my area here in the UK.

It will be appreciated if you could offer some links
relating to bicycle alarms listing its specifications or any
other bits of information I will need to keep in mind.

Thanks in advance

Navid

On 12 May 2004 01:13:59 -0700, [email protected] (Navid Naghdi)
wrote:
>Because I'm going to design and make a bike alarm; for
>my report I will require to write about existing
>products and their specifications. So far it has been
>difficult to get my hands on any bicycle alarm around my
>area here in the UK.
>
>It will be appreciated if you could offer some links
>relating to bicycle alarms listing its specifications or
>any other bits of information I will need to keep in mind.

When I was a small child, having been well-fed of the common
(here in the US, anyway) drug propaganda, I was paranoid
that "anything could be replaced by drugs", and I was
especially paranoid that my bike would be. So, I had an
alarm on it.

It clamped on to the handlebar like any other accessory. It
had a numeric keypad on it, into which a code must be typed
before disturbing the bike, and a motion sensor to trip if
somebody does touch the bike. At that point, it would make a
moderately loud siren wail. I wonder how often my dad had
bumped it walking through the garage and set it off?

It was made entirely of plastic. I'm sure that it could have
been disabled and destroyed with an adult's bare hands;
surely a rock or hammer would work.

Maybe something that is well-armored (probably built-into
a U-lock).

Even better, inserted into the seat tube and wired
internally to the dropouts to detect a wheel moving/being
removed. It would have to have a built-in cell phone
connection and location tracking; just a wailing siren is
useless nowadays, at least here in the US. A remote-
control disarm would be necessary; this way, the alarm
cannot be accessed without removing the seatpost (also
wired to the alarm).

So, something like LoJack (for that matter, how about
something using the LoJack network, although I don't know if
it exists outside the US), to fit inside the seat tube below
the seatpost, armed and disarmed with a small RF remote
control (like an automotive alarm), able to detect spinning
wheels and removed components, and...er...fires a sharp
spike through the seat when somebody steals the bike,
puncturing the thief.
--
Rick Onanian

[...]

Rick Onanian [/B][/QUOTE]

Shouldn't there be some sort of instant glue that exudes from the handgrips?

On Wed, 12 May 2004 14:04:55 GMT, billlee
<[email protected]> wrote:
>Shouldn't there be some sort of instant glue that exudes
>from the handgrips?

Standard "Superglue" bonds to human skin nearly instantly.
--
Rick Onanian

Originally posted by Rick Onanian
<[email protected]> wrote:
>Shouldn't there be some sort of instant glue that exudes
>from the handgrips?

Standard "Superglue" bonds to human skin nearly instantly.
--
Rick Onanian

Quorum used to make a bicycle theft alarm - I don't think they sold very many though. I saw them at some event where they were trying to market the little things and most folks just laughed. Quorum is still around and they make personal alarms for kids, joggers, that kind of stuff so you might find something on the bike theft alarm somewhere. Good luck on your project, but I still think they'll never sell.

> So, something like LoJack (for that matter, how about
> something using the LoJack network, although I don't know
> if it exists outside the US), to fit inside the seat tube
> below the seatpost, armed and disarmed with a small RF
> remote control (like an automotive alarm), able to detect
> spinning wheels and removed components, and...er...fires a
> sharp spike through the seat when somebody steals the
> bike, puncturing the thief.

Or you could use a system that jettisons the saddle padding,
exposing one of these:

http://fullspeedahead.com/products/road/images/seats/hi-
res/k-force-sd-lite.jpg

That should have the thief seeking a proctologist in a
jiffy.

Chalo

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Navid Naghdi) writes:
> Hi,
>
> Because I'm going to design and make a bike alarm; for
> my report I will require to write about existing
> products and their specifications. So far it has been
> difficult to get my hands on any bicycle alarm around my
> area here in the UK.
>
> It will be appreciated if you could offer some links
> relating to bicycle alarms listing its specifications or
> any other bits of information I will need to keep in mind.

Those things seem to be more popular among skiers and
snowboarders. So a Google search on words: ski snowboard
"alarm lock" should turn something up for you.

cheers, Tom