Spectator giving Lance the Finger

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by marv800, Jul 21, 2004.

1. marv800

marv800 New Member

Did anyone else see that spectator who gave lance the middle finger about 1/3 way up the Alpe d'Huez?

Tags:

2. tcklyde

tcklyde New Member

I've seen a few pictures (although, frustratingly, I can't find them right now) of spectators flipping off LA. I'm sure there's plenty of birdies flying in front of all the big guys.

I hate seeing it. All these guys deserve much better than the drunks running around.

3. patch70

patch70 New Member

I am not particularly a fan of Lance but I thought the birds and spitting were very poor performances by a few drunk fans. As he said, it just makes him ride harder so they don't achieve anything by it. I am just glad no rider got knocked off! Many riders got abused verbally, patted, or had those idiots running near them and at times slowing them down. There has to be a better way to run the biggest annual sporting event on the planet!

4. Fixey

Fixey New Member

That was a total joke, the organisers need to do a far better job of crowd control. I could picture someone getting off their bike and punching people, I think I would do that! 900 000 people embaraced themselfs today!

5. jony

jony New Member

How to do that? It's impossible. C'mon guys, it's not like they threw empty bottles at him, you should be concerded about other things. Did you ever think how many other spectators gave him the finger without you seeing them? Shuold they be put to death?

6. musette

musette New Member

Some people spit at LA too. :(

7. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

C'mon guys. Were a talking about a minority of the people that were there. The usual 5-10% of idiots that make up the general population. We all agree that their actions are not representative and bone-headed (is that a word?).

It is the same every year in the mountain stages of the grand tours. You cannot control the crowd unless you are willing to fence in the entire race circuit, which would be rather difficult, ineffectual, expensive and time-consuming!

I disapprove of giving any tour rider the finger, or booing them. But it is still a free country, and like many others have said, booing a rider just makes him ride that much harder!

8. jony

jony New Member

I agree 99%, the 1% disagreement is that I think the proportion of idiots is around 50%.

9. DTMwood

DTMwood New Member

Did anyone see the sign on the road surface saying "RIP THEIR BALLS OFF LANCE". Thousands of signs I know but that one stuck in my mind.

You gotta remember, there were different cheering sections for different riders all along the route. I'm certain at some point these "fans" were going at each other verbally causing a frenzied effect, not unlike a football or rugby match. This unfortunately translated into "rider abuse". :mad:

10. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

LOL, I guess I can live with that... ehm, revised estimate! :D

11. zapper

zapper Banned

I don't have a problem with jestures, verbal assaults cheering, booing, sign waving whatever...What is not acceptable is stuff like this:

L'ALPE D'HUEZ, France (Reuters) - Tour de France director Jean-Marie Leblanc has admitted he had seen fans spit at five-times champion Lance Armstrong during the 15.5-km time trial to L'Alpe d'Huez.

Any physical contact with participants must be stopped!

12. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

In 1975 Eddy Merckx was punched by a spectator while cycling in the Tour.
    In 1987, Stephen Roche was spat upon and punched in the Giro while cycling to victory.
    There are always some idiots in the crowd.
    I did not see LA being spat at or punched.
    He was probably abused though.
    This sort of behaviour while despicable, happens in the major tours.
    It could have been worse for him - he could have been assaulted like
    Merckx and Roche.

13. zapper

zapper Banned

14. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

I don't condone spitting or punching or assaulting by spectators.
    But you do get this sort of behaviour at races, unfortunately.

It was pretty clear to me that some people were very drunk up there and I
    expect that it was those idiots that were trying to get to LA.

I too hope that no spectator goes near LA.

15. Two Bikes

Two Bikes New Member

After re-watching the stage a couple of times, I did see where someone threw a water bottle at Lance as he was going through a curve. That's just nuts!

16. izzodesh

izzodesh New Member

spectators are wayyyyyyyyy out of hand...
    esp today when that kid got hit by the motorcycle....anyone else see that?!!!!
    i feel bad for the kid but when you jump out into the path of bikers u are asking for it..
    like that dam kid and his bag last yr...
    ugh
    with only 3 days left one can only hope lance will be safe

17. pobserver03

pobserver03 New Member

18. zapper

zapper Banned

Thanks..BTW why do you think that when I go to a NASCAR race, they put us behind wire fences???Yep, I've seen a few dudes that would probably try and take on a car going 200mph...hehe

But concerning the TDF, just wish there was a way to keep those people close yet keep them from reaching the participants...Don't think that ullrich particuarly wanted some drunk dowsing him with a water bottle either...who knows what was in it???

Personally, they should let the riders carry tazers or stun guns and ZAP(pardon the pun) those drunk bastards... :D

19. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Nascar, I can't comment about - I have no knowledge about it whatsoever.

Stun guns !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "Hold on I'm just going back to the team car to collect our stun guns........."

20. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

pobserver, I agree with you completely on freedom not meaning the ability to harm others, and I was not aware of any spitting (had to work during the stage, the unfairness of it all! ;) ). In any event, are we not agonising a bit too much on the spectators?

BTW, I assure you that spitting is not acceptable behaviour in France [no, I am not French] either!

I notice you are from SC - got to spend some vacation time in [more or less] your neck of the woods - Hilton Head is really a nice place to kick back and do nothing...

Happy rides!