Spectator giving Lance the Finger

marv800

May 19, 2004
Did anyone else see that spectator who gave lance the middle finger about 1/3 way up the Alpe d'Huez?

marv800 said:
Did anyone else see that spectator who gave lance the middle finger about 1/3 way up the Alpe d'Huez?
I've seen a few pictures (although, frustratingly, I can't find them right now) of spectators flipping off LA. I'm sure there's plenty of birdies flying in front of all the big guys.

I hate seeing it. All these guys deserve much better than the drunks running around.

I am not particularly a fan of Lance but I thought the birds and spitting were very poor performances by a few drunk fans. As he said, it just makes him ride harder so they don't achieve anything by it. I am just glad no rider got knocked off! Many riders got abused verbally, patted, or had those idiots running near them and at times slowing them down. There has to be a better way to run the biggest annual sporting event on the planet!

patch70 said:
I am not particularly a fan of Lance but I thought the birds and spitting were very poor performances by a few drunk fans. As he said, it just makes him ride harder so they don't achieve anything by it. I am just glad no rider got knocked off! Many riders got abused verbally, patted, or had those idiots running near them and at times slowing them down. There has to be a better way to run the biggest annual sporting event on the planet!

That was a total joke, the organisers need to do a far better job of crowd control. I could picture someone getting off their bike and punching people, I think I would do that! 900 000 people embaraced themselfs today!

Fixey said:
That was a total joke, the organisers need to do a far better job of crowd control. I could picture someone getting off their bike and punching people, I think I would do that! 900 000 people embaraced themselfs today!

How to do that? It's impossible. C'mon guys, it's not like they threw empty bottles at him, you should be concerded about other things. Did you ever think how many other spectators gave him the finger without you seeing them? Shuold they be put to death?

C'mon guys. Were a talking about a minority of the people that were there. The usual 5-10% of idiots that make up the general population. We all agree that their actions are not representative and bone-headed (is that a word?).

It is the same every year in the mountain stages of the grand tours. You cannot control the crowd unless you are willing to fence in the entire race circuit, which would be rather difficult, ineffectual, expensive and time-consuming!

I disapprove of giving any tour rider the finger, or booing them. But it is still a free country, and like many others have said, booing a rider just makes him ride that much harder!

Powerful Pete said:
C'mon guys. Were a talking about a minority of the people that were there. The usual 5-10% of idiots that make up the general population. We all agree that their actions are not representative and bone-headed (is that a word?).

It is the same every year in the mountain stages of the grand tours. You cannot control the crowd unless you are willing to fence in the entire race circuit, which would be rather difficult, ineffectual, expensive and time-consuming!

I disapprove of giving any tour rider the finger, or booing them. But it is still a free country, and like many others have said, booing a rider just makes him ride that much harder!

I agree 99%, the 1% disagreement is that I think the proportion of idiots is around 50%.

Fixey said:

Did anyone see the sign on the road surface saying "RIP THEIR BALLS OFF LANCE". Thousands of signs I know but that one stuck in my mind.

You gotta remember, there were different cheering sections for different riders all along the route. I'm certain at some point these "fans" were going at each other verbally causing a frenzied effect, not unlike a football or rugby match. This unfortunately translated into "rider abuse". :mad:

DTMwood said:
Did anyone see the sign on the road surface saying "RIP THEIR BALLS OFF LANCE". Thousands of signs I know but that one stuck in my mind.

You gotta remember, there were different cheering sections for different riders all along the route. I'm certain at some point these "fans" were going at each other verbally causing a frenzied effect, not unlike a football or rugby match. This unfortunately translated into "rider abuse". :mad:
I don't have a problem with jestures, verbal assaults cheering, booing, sign waving whatever...What is not acceptable is stuff like this:

L'ALPE D'HUEZ, France (Reuters) - Tour de France director Jean-Marie Leblanc has admitted he had seen fans spit at five-times champion Lance Armstrong during the 15.5-km time trial to L'Alpe d'Huez.

Any physical contact with participants must be stopped!

In 1975 Eddy Merckx was punched by a spectator while cycling in the Tour.
In 1987, Stephen Roche was spat upon and punched in the Giro while cycling to victory.
There are always some idiots in the crowd.
I did not see LA being spat at or punched.
He was probably abused though.
This sort of behaviour while despicable, happens in the major tours.
It could have been worse for him - he could have been assaulted like
Merckx and Roche.

limerickman said:
In 1975 Eddy Merckx was punched by a spectator while cycling in the Tour.
In 1987, Stephen Roche was spat upon and punched in the Giro while cycling to victory.
There are always some idiots in the crowd.
I did not see LA being spat at
Jean-Marie Leblanc did!

He was probably abused though.
This sort of behaviour while despicable, happens in the major tours.
It could have been worse for him - he could have been assaulted like
Merckx and Roche.
I am thankful that thus far he has not been punched. Just because it happened before doesn't make it right....Granted I have not followed the tour for 30 yrs, still...there is always room for change while keeping the spirit of the race intact..just my opinion.

zapper said:
Jean-Marie Leblanc did!

I am thankful that thus far he has not been punched. Just because it happened before doesn't make it right....Granted I have not followed the tour for 30 yrs, still...there is always room for change while keeping the spirit of the race intact..just my opinion.

I don't condone spitting or punching or assaulting by spectators.
But you do get this sort of behaviour at races, unfortunately.

It was pretty clear to me that some people were very drunk up there and I
expect that it was those idiots that were trying to get to LA.

I too hope that no spectator goes near LA.

jony said:
C'mon guys, it's not like they threw empty bottles at him, you should be concerded about other things.

After re-watching the stage a couple of times, I did see where someone threw a water bottle at Lance as he was going through a curve. That's just nuts!

Two Bikes said:
After re-watching the stage a couple of times, I did see where someone threw a water bottle at Lance as he was going through a curve. That's just nuts!
spectators are wayyyyyyyyy out of hand...
esp today when that kid got hit by the motorcycle....anyone else see that?!!!!
i feel bad for the kid but when you jump out into the path of bikers u are asking for it..
like that dam kid and his bag last yr...
ugh
with only 3 days left one can only hope lance will be safe

I disapprove of giving any tour rider the finger said:
I understand you are against such deplorable behavior whether alcohol induced or not. But, not to split hairs, freedom does not afford anyone the right to spit on anyone else, ever. While this may be acceptable behavior in certain countries (ie. France) it is certainly grounds for assault in America home of freedom. People who commit themselves to such behavior ought to be dragged naked by a fork through their tongue down the mountainside and then beat with a seat post.

limerickman said:
I don't condone spitting or punching or assaulting by spectators.
But you do get this sort of behaviour at races, unfortunately.

It was pretty clear to me that some people were very drunk up there and I
expect that it was those idiots that were trying to get to LA.

I too hope that no spectator goes near LA.
Thanks..BTW why do you think that when I go to a NASCAR race, they put us behind wire fences???Yep, I've seen a few dudes that would probably try and take on a car going 200mph...hehe

But concerning the TDF, just wish there was a way to keep those people close yet keep them from reaching the participants...Don't think that ullrich particuarly wanted some drunk dowsing him with a water bottle either...who knows what was in it???

Personally, they should let the riders carry tazers or stun guns and ZAP(pardon the pun) those drunk bastards... :D

zapper said:
Thanks..BTW why do you think that when I go to a NASCAR race, they put us behind wire fences???Yep, I've seen a few dudes that would probably try and take on a car going 200mph...hehe

But concerning the TDF, just wish there was a way to keep those people close yet keep them from reaching the participants...Don't think that ullrich particuarly wanted some drunk dowsing him with a water bottle either...who knows what was in it???

Personally, they should let the riders carry tazers or stun guns and ZAP(pardon the pun) those drunk bastards... :D

Nascar, I can't comment about - I have no knowledge about it whatsoever.

Stun guns !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Hold on I'm just going back to the team car to collect our stun guns........."

pobserver03 said:
I understand you are against such deplorable behavior whether alcohol induced or not. But, not to split hairs, freedom does not afford anyone the right to spit on anyone else, ever. While this may be acceptable behavior in certain countries (ie. France) it is certainly grounds for assault in America home of freedom. People who commit themselves to such behavior ought to be dragged naked by a fork through their tongue down the mountainside and then beat with a seat post.

pobserver, I agree with you completely on freedom not meaning the ability to harm others, and I was not aware of any spitting (had to work during the stage, the unfairness of it all! ;) ). In any event, are we not agonising a bit too much on the spectators?

BTW, I assure you that spitting is not acceptable behaviour in France [no, I am not French] either!

I notice you are from SC - got to spend some vacation time in [more or less] your neck of the woods - Hilton Head is really a nice place to kick back and do nothing...

Happy rides!