Spectre on Vorlich

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Graham Ingram, Dec 11, 2004.

  1. Had another early morning start and another local Munro as I had to be
    back in the world of mobile coverage by 12 noon. Took a wander up
    Ben Vorlich ( Loch Earn ) just to keep the legs in trim. I summited
    just after 9 am and was treated to the sun rising through and above
    the mist. at one point the sun was just below me in terms of angle and
    my projected Brocken Spectre onto the rising mist and cloud coming out
    of the corrie was superb. Looking at it almost straight on made it
    seem bigger than usual and the definition was superb. Sadly as this
    was just a quick trip I was travelling light, so light I had no camera
    with me. Ah Well !

    Good to get a mountain in and be back home just after 11 am !

    --
    Cheers
    Graham

    284/284 111/219

    If you wish to sponsor me and my colleagues for the Vodafone / NAS
    Kilimanjaro climb in January 2005 please visit
    http://www.justgiving.com/VFKilimanjaro ~ Thank You.

    Tags:

  2. Graham Ingram typed:

    Good to get a mountain in and be back home just after 11 am !

    What a shame ... does that mean you had to take the wife Christmas shopping
    on Princes Street in the afternoon :)?
    --
    Andy Crawford
    www.chiadfhear.co.uk

    Remove "my boots" to e-mail me

  3. Jiffy

    Jiffy Guest

    Sounds good. What's the path like now? I heard there was a lot of damage
    after the flooding earlier in the year. I had been planning to lead some
    friends up Ben Vorlich and maybe onto Stuc a' Chroin but I've heard tale of
    bridges swept away and paths turned into ravines so I've steered clear.
    How's things now?

    Cheers, Jiffy

  4. "Jiffy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Sounds good. What's the path like now? I heard there was a lot of

    damage
    > after the flooding earlier in the year. I had been planning to lead

    some
    > friends up Ben Vorlich and maybe onto Stuc a' Chroin but I've heard

    tale of
    > bridges swept away and paths turned into ravines so I've steered

    clear.
    > How's things now?

    The road is still closed at Edinample but if you come in from St
    Fillans the south road is clear all the way to Ardvorlich house. The
    land rover track is sound as always and after that there is a new (
    since I was last up ) fully repaired track that effectively goes all
    the way to the summit. The lower stretches are raised gravel over what
    used to be the bofggiest bit and even further up the hill the path is
    fully restored. There are about 2 sections on the steeper pulls which
    are now stone staircases, treacherous yesterday with a film of ice on
    them so I walked up the hill next to the stones as many others have
    done judging by the erosion stating to widen the path. This path goes
    all the way to the last pull to the summit. So no route finding
    difficulties and easy walking. 1 hour 45 to the summit and 1hr 15
    down. I have to say I am not keen on manufactured paths like this
    and have been on 3 new ones this year which in my opinion have taken
    something from the original character of the hill. Schiehallion,
    Braeriach and Vorlich.

    Cheers
    Graham

  5. AndyP

    AndyP Guest

    "Graham Ingram" <[email protected]> wrote

    > I have to say I am not keen on manufactured paths like this
    > and have been on 3 new ones this year which in my opinion have taken
    > something from the original character of the hill. Schiehallion,
    > Braeriach and Vorlich.

    Which one on Braeriach has been done?

  6. Stuart

    Stuart Guest

    "Graham Ingram" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Jiffy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Sounds good. What's the path like now? I heard there was a lot of

    > damage
    > > after the flooding earlier in the year. I had been planning to lead

    > some
    > > friends up Ben Vorlich and maybe onto Stuc a' Chroin but I've heard

    > tale of
    > > bridges swept away and paths turned into ravines so I've steered

    > clear.
    > > How's things now?

    > The road is still closed at Edinample but if you come in from St
    > Fillans the south road is clear all the way to Ardvorlich house. The
    > land rover track is sound as always and after that there is a new (
    > since I was last up ) fully repaired track that effectively goes all
    > the way to the summit. The lower stretches are raised gravel over what
    > used to be the bofggiest bit and even further up the hill the path is
    > fully restored. There are about 2 sections on the steeper pulls which
    > are now stone staircases, treacherous yesterday with a film of ice on
    > them so I walked up the hill next to the stones as many others have
    > done judging by the erosion stating to widen the path. This path goes
    > all the way to the last pull to the summit. So no route finding
    > difficulties and easy walking. 1 hour 45 to the summit and 1hr 15
    > down. I have to say I am not keen on manufactured paths like this
    > and have been on 3 new ones this year which in my opinion have taken
    > something from the original character of the hill. Schiehallion,
    > Braeriach and Vorlich.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Graham

    I noticed that they seem to be constructing one of these paths through the
    Chalaman Gap, this will completely ruin the whole character of this unique
    and interesting feature! and why? I didn't see any significant signs of
    erosion or indeed how it could be significantly eroded! Of course building a
    motorway of a path to it and through it should attract the hoards, could
    become a picnic site, and in a few years will look like a disused land fill
    site!

  7. "AndyP" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Graham Ingram" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    > > I have to say I am not keen on manufactured paths like this
    > > and have been on 3 new ones this year which in my opinion have

    taken
    > > something from the original character of the hill. Schiehallion,
    > > Braeriach and Vorlich.

    > Which one on Braeriach has been done?

    As Stuart indicates in another post in this thread there has been a
    lot of work done on the approach to the Chalamain Gap, including
    levelling huge slabs to form a pavement at least a third of the way
    into the gap from the north east, and again as Stuart says, the
    character of this area is in danger of being lost. They are also
    working in other areas of the approach to the gap with a mini digger
    and bags of rubble by the side of the track. The second major path
    building on Braeriach itself is from where you cross the Lairig Ghru
    and used to climb directly to where the Sinclair hut was and on
    upwards, they have now constructed another gravel and slab path that
    leads slightly south into the Lairig Ghru for about 100 mtrs then
    directly up to the bealach before the steeper bit of the north ridge
    leading to Sron na Lairige. Parts of this path are again, like
    Vorlich, laid into staircases up the steeper bits.

    Although I can see the argument to stem erosion I think some of the
    "wildness" of this area in particular is being lost. It also
    encourages those not fully equipped for the hill to follow a well made
    path in the belief that this is an easy and safe environment IMHO.

    cheers
    Graham

  8. "Stuart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Graham Ingram" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > "Jiffy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]

    > I noticed that they seem to be constructing one of these paths

    through the
    > Chalaman Gap, this will completely ruin the whole character of this

    unique
    > and interesting feature! and why? I didn't see any significant signs

    of
    > erosion or indeed how it could be significantly eroded! Of course

    building a
    > motorway of a path to it and through it should attract the hoards,

    could
    > become a picnic site, and in a few years will look like a disused

    land fill
    > site!

    Agreed, agreed and agreed !

    Cheers
    Graham

  9. Jhimmy

    Jhimmy Guest

    Chalamain Gap and the surrounding area being pathed? I'm shocked and
    horrified -genuinely! If people can't cope with uneasy ground they
    shouldn't be there! Chalamain Gap is not easy to walk through, its a
    clamber, but it's this that makes the walk so special.

    Jhimmy

  10. RJ Webb

    RJ Webb Guest

    Why dont they leave a section near the car park in its foul eroded
    state.. A granny stopper, and then concemtrate on protecting the hill
    further in.

    I hate eroded paths... the solution is so easy - go another way.

    I wonder if the erosion lovers have similar views on the pony tracks
    thatmake life so pleasant when walking in the Highlands?

    I would add... that removing /taming boulder fields is NOT hill
    protection, simply vandalism. Leave the gap alone....

    Richard Webb

  11. Graham Ingram typed:

    Had another early morning start and another local Munro ... Took a wander
    up Ben Vorlich ( Loch Earn ) <snip>

    Apologies for the Christmas shopping post ... Have you tried the Stuc a
    Chroin and Vorlich round from Glen Artney Church car park?

    Walk in to Arivurichardich then take the 'natural' hill track from behind
    the cottage all the way to the top of Stuc a Chroin, descend the 'scramble'
    or take the easy way around it then Vorlich is a straight-forward, easy
    ascent from the bealach.

    From the summit, there's a 'natural' path down the broad, southern shoulder
    back to join the main track.

    It's a long, but very rewarding day, away from the crowds - until you reach
    the tops that is!!

    --
    Andy Crawford
    www.chiadfhear.co.uk

    Remove "my boots" to e-mail me

  12. Jiffy

    Jiffy Guest

    Thanks Graham. It sounds like they've more than repaired the track. The old
    one seemed more than adequate to me.

    Cheers, Jiffy

  13. Russ Clare

    Russ Clare Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Andy Crawford
    <[email protected]> writes
    >Have you tried the Stuc a
    >Chroin and Vorlich round from Glen Artney Church car park?
    >
    >Walk in to Arivurichardich then take the 'natural' hill track from behind
    >the cottage all the way to the top of Stuc a Chroin, descend the 'scramble'
    >or take the easy way around it then Vorlich is a straight-forward, easy
    >ascent from the bealach.
    >
    >From the summit, there's a 'natural' path down the broad, southern shoulder
    >back to join the main track.

    Hi Andy and all,

    I've had my eye on this route for a while, but starting at Callander
    which is nearer for me. It's possible to park at the Keltie bridge
    about two km above the Bracklinn Falls where a track north heads for
    Arivurichardich.

    I'm assuming there are no access problems - I had a recce. on a spare
    afternoon a couple of weeks ago, but the road was blocked for repairs to
    the summer's flood damage.
    --

    Russ Clare