Speculative thoughts on USPS sponsorship

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Steven L. Sheff, Dec 7, 2003.

  1. I would not be surprised if USPS has not been the primary monetary sponsor of the team since the
    beginning of this year (2003), hence the "presented by Berry Floor" aspect of the name.

    I would not be surprised if the 2004 "United States Postal Service presented by Berry Floor" team
    becomes the 2004 Berry Floor-(some other sponsor) team for 2005 and beyond.

    dot veloworks dot com [four word] slash

    Tags:

  2. Steven L. Sheffield wrote:

    > I would not be surprised if USPS has not been the primary monetary sponsor of the team since the
    > beginning of this year (2003), hence the "presented by Berry Floor" aspect of the name.
    >
    > I would not be surprised if the 2004 "United States Postal Service presented by Berry Floor" team
    > becomes the 2004 Berry Floor-(some other sponsor) team for 2005 and beyond.

    IIRC, Berry Floor is a Belgian interest, hence the team's problems when Tom Boonen elected to change
    teams. No idea what a "presenting sponsor" contributes, but I doubt it's close to what USPS does.

  3. Amh

    Amh Guest

    "Steven L. Sheffield" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<BBF8AB00.19FAA%[email protected]>...
    > I would not be surprised if USPS has not been the primary monetary sponsor of the team since the
    > beginning of this year (2003), hence the "presented by Berry Floor" aspect of the name.
    >
    > I would not be surprised if the 2004 "United States Postal Service presented by Berry Floor" team
    > becomes the 2004 Berry Floor-(some other sponsor) team for 2005 and beyond.

    MY gf works for a business publication and interviewed Dan Osipow (USPS team manager) he stated that
    Berry Floor was looking to increase their exposure in the US. They latched on to the largest
    European/US marketing device they could find. She got the idea that Berry Floor wanted to have a
    prime advertising location.

    The USPS seems satisfied with the return they are getting and also the number of US sponsors who are
    signing up. What happens when Lance is through is anybody's guess though.

    My $0.02, Andy