Speed Camera death...

Stephen \

Guest
Anyone hear the outrageous story on BBC radio this morning that a man in Austria was killed by a
speeed camera? It was reported in all seriousness and suggested it added fuel to the argument for
those hoping to get rid of cameras. Turns out that the bloke who died was going 200kmh, overtaking
round a blind corner when the camera caught him, flashed and supposedly contributed to his death by
distracting him with him ending up in a ditch. I would say it was excessive speed and stupidity but
the BBC seemingly think otherwise.

"Stephen (aka steford)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Anyone hear the outrageous story on BBC radio this morning that a man in Austria was killed by a
> speeed camera? It was reported in all seriousness and suggested it added fuel to the argument for
> those hoping to get rid of cameras. Turns out that the bloke who died was going 200kmh, overtaking
> round a blind corner when the camera caught him, flashed and supposedly contributed to his death
> by distracting him with him ending up in a ditch.
> would say it was excessive speed and stupidity but the BBC seemingly think otherwise.

Darwinism!

--------
Pete. Derby.

Peter Connolly wrote:
> "Stephen (aka steford)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Anyone hear the outrageous story on BBC radio this morning that a man in Austria was killed by a
>> speeed camera? It was reported in all seriousness and suggested it added fuel to the argument for
>> those hoping to get rid of cameras. Turns out that the bloke who died was going 200kmh,
>> overtaking round a blind corner when the camera caught him, flashed and supposedly contributed to
>> his death by distracting him with him ending up in a ditch. I would say it was excessive speed
>> and stupidity but the BBC seemingly think otherwise.
>>

> Darwinism!

Exactly. They even scrambled a helicopter to try and save this idiot apparently.

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003, Stephen (aka steford) wrote:

> Anyone hear the outrageous story on BBC radio this morning that a man in Austria was killed by a
> speeed camera? It was reported in all seriousness and suggested it added fuel to the argument for
> those hoping to get rid of cameras. Turns out that the bloke who died was going 200kmh, overtaking
> round a blind corner when the camera caught him, flashed and supposedly contributed to his death
> by distracting him with him ending up in a ditch. I would say it was excessive speed and stupidity
> but the BBC seemingly think otherwise.

Indeed. Though I am sorry for the individual concerned, his friends and family.

--
Daniel Auger - [email protected] (Please remove Granta to get a valid address.)

Daniel Auger wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jul 2003, Stephen (aka steford) wrote:
>
>> Anyone hear the outrageous story on BBC radio this morning that a man in Austria was killed by a
>> speeed camera? It was reported in all seriousness and suggested it added fuel to the argument for
>> those hoping to get rid of cameras. Turns out that the bloke who died was going 200kmh,
>> overtaking round a blind corner when the camera caught him, flashed and supposedly contributed to
>> his death by distracting him with him ending up in a ditch. I would say it was excessive speed
>> and stupidity but the BBC seemingly think otherwise.
>
> Indeed. Though I am sorry for the individual concerned, his friends and family.

I'm not. He obviously wasn't thinking about them or others as he cornered at that speed.

> Turns out that the bloke who died was going 200kmh, overtaking round a blind corner when the
> camera caught him, flashed and supposedly contributed to his death by distracting him with him
> ending up in a ditch.
> would say it was excessive speed and stupidity but the BBC seemingly think otherwise.

Is it me, or is the beeb generally very pro-car and very anti-any-other-form-of-transport? It seems
the only time they'll take an anti-car stance is to berate the government for not keeping promises
to reduce traffic levels. Apart from hosting a number of programs, hosted by a certain select group
of people (won't mention any names), the news/current affairs is always anti-cycle, anti-pedestrian,
anti-congestion-charging/anti-trains etc etc.

>Is it me, or is the beeb generally very pro-car and very anti-any-other-form-of-transport? It seems
>the only time they'll take an anti-car stance is to berate the government for not keeping promises
>to reduce traffic levels. Apart from hosting a number of programs, hosted by a certain select group
>of people (won't mention any names), the news/current affairs is always anti-cycle,
>anti-pedestrian, anti-congestion-charging/anti-trains etc etc.

Seems about right :-(

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~
h$**$*$el$**e$n$**$d$**$o$*$t**$$s$**$im$mo$ns*@a$**o$l.c$$*o$*m*$ by getting rid of the
overdependence on money and fame
~~~~~~~~~~

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 13:45:02 +0100, "Stephen \(aka steford\)"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Anyone hear the outrageous story on BBC radio this morning

Which programme? I am minded to ask for a transcript.

Guy
===

In article <[email protected]>, one of infinite monkeys at the keyboard of "Johnny
Klunk" <johnnyklunk@:rem0ve-this:johnnyklunk.com> wrote:

> Is it me, or is the beeb generally very pro-car and very anti-any-other-form-of-transport?

The beeb more-or-less ran the petrol-price campaign. First millions- worth of free publicity for
"dump the pump", including all those instructions to fill up the day before protest-day. Then when
the silent majority didn't support that campaign, they did a lot to incite the thugs who ran the
blockades - a campaign that didn't need public support 'cos it didn't ask the public.

--
Axis of Evil: Whose economy needs ever more wars? Arms Exports $bn: USA 14.2, UK 5.1, vs France 1.5,
Germany 0.8 (The Economist, July 2002)

> Is it me, or is the beeb generally very pro-car and very anti-any-other-form-of-transport? It
> seems the only time they'll take an anti-car stance is to berate the government for not keeping
> promises to reduce traffic levels. Apart from hosting a number of programs, hosted by a certain
> select group
of
> people (won't mention any names), the news/current affairs is always anti-cycle, anti-pedestrian,
> anti-congestion-charging/anti-trains etc etc.

I only listen to bits of Radio 4 but I can't recall any anti cycling rants. I have heard several
debates about the value of spending billions on rail travel - but that arguement has been discussed
in this forum.

It's likely that radio presenters are going to be a bit pro-car; they own cars. I'm pro-car in some
circumstances (I own a car); I'd like to amend that; I'm pro road user and would very much like us
all to get get on without shouting at each other. But; all our transport groups contain
silly/bad/non-observant/non-thinking members. So car drivers rant on about cyclists running red
lights or about motorcyclists who go too fast. Cyclists rant about the car driver that opens the
door on them - but not the 1429 drivers that didn't. etc. ..........

Because I cycle for recreation, drive a car when necessary and motorcyle for both reasons I suppose
I am sitting on the junction of 3 fences. It's a great view.

John

p.s. sorry for sounding sanctimonious.

"Stephen (aka steford)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Anyone hear the outrageous story on BBC radio this morning that a man in Austria was killed by a
> speeed camera? It was reported in all seriousness and suggested it added fuel to the argument for
> those hoping to get rid of cameras. Turns out that the bloke who died was going 200kmh, overtaking
> round a blind corner when the camera caught him, flashed and supposedly contributed to his death
> by distracting him with him ending up in a ditch.
> would say it was excessive speed and stupidity but the BBC seemingly think otherwise.

What ?!!?....his dying words, just heard by the motorist he'd nearly totalled - "it was the damn
speed camera flash what done for
me.....uuuhh..."

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 13:45:02 +0100, "Stephen \(aka steford\)"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Anyone hear the outrageous story on BBC radio this morning
>
> Which programme? I am minded to ask for a transcript.
>
> Guy
> ===
Was on 5Live between 11:40 and 12:30 when I cycled in - probably for about 5 mins.

Dave wrote:
> "Stephen (aka steford)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Anyone hear the outrageous story on BBC radio this morning that a man in Austria was killed by a
>> speeed camera? It was reported in all seriousness and suggested it added fuel to the argument for
>> those hoping to get rid of cameras. Turns out that the bloke who died was going 200kmh,
>> overtaking round a blind corner when the camera caught him, flashed and supposedly contributed to
>> his death by distracting him with him ending up in a ditch. I would say it was excessive speed
>> and stupidity but the BBC seemingly think otherwise.
>>

> What ?!!?....his dying words, just heard by the motorist he'd nearly totalled - "it was the damn
> speed camera flash what done for
> me.....uuuhh..."

Yes - I'm amazed by the sheer stupidity of blaming it on the speed camera but also by the fact that
they knew it had flashed and that was the casue. An eyewitness claimed he was overtaking and doing
200kmh and probably also mentioned the flash. This undoubtedly got picked up by the anti-camera
groups or his family or something and became the "news" item on the beeb who were quite happy to
blame the camera too. I could barely pedal listening to this rubbish.

> Because I cycle for recreation, drive a car when necessary and motorcyle
for
> both reasons I suppose I am sitting on the junction of 3 fences. It's a great view.
>
> John
>
> p.s. sorry for sounding sanctimonious.

lol, rare you read a usenet post that isn't sanctimonious. Rare you hear it apologised for.
Personally, I'm not apologising because my views are intellectually superior (cough). Also, as an
Aussie (originally, not so much now) I have to agree 100% with the nic. Just wish I could get decent
pies over here. The missus makes a dead good pie, when I can talk her into it. Which isn't nearly
often enough.

In message <[email protected]>, "Stephen (aka steford)"
<[email protected]> writes
>Anyone hear the outrageous story on BBC radio this morning that a man in Austria was killed by a
>speeed camera? It was reported in all seriousness and suggested it added fuel to the argument for
>those hoping to get rid of cameras. Turns out that the bloke who died was going 200kmh, overtaking
>round a blind corner when the camera caught him, flashed and supposedly contributed to his death by
>distracting him with him ending up in a ditch. I would say it was excessive speed and stupidity but
>the BBC seemingly think otherwise.

Just a point of information but if Austria uses the same cameras as Germany they are usually set up
to take the picture from the front and the flash is more distracting than from behind. (Means that
motorcyclists tend to ignore cameras.)
--
Michael MacClancy

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 20:49:28 +0100, "Eatmorepies" <[email protected]> wrote:

>... Because I cycle for recreation, drive a car when necessary and motorcyle for both reasons I
>suppose I am sitting on the junction of 3 fences. It's a great view.

Uncomfortable, isn't it?

Pete Barrett

<[email protected]> wrote:

>Anyone hear the outrageous story on BBC radio this morning that a man in Austria was killed by a
>speeed camera?

My website being offline right now (thanks to deliberate obstructionism by BT, thus confirming that
I am entirely right to ditch them) I will post for your enjoyment the contents of one page thereof:

(think Jackson Five "Don't Blame It On The Boogie")

Don't Blame It On The Camera
============================

Those cagers always speeding And it wouldn't be a bad thing But the cameras are flashing And the
points pile high

I sped right up the M1 Like I was really someone From that night I kissed My licence goodbye

CHORUS Don't blame it on the speeding Don't blame it on the mobiles Don't blame it on the cagers
Blame it on the camera.

Don't blame it on speeding Don't blame it on mobiles Don't you blame it on cagers Blame it on
the camera.

Illegal speeding bugs me But somehow it has drugged me Engine rhythm gets me My lead feet.

I've changed my life completely The motor has consumed me My baby just won't take A ride with me.

CHORUS

I just can't I just can't I just can't control myself.

I just can't I just can't I just can't control myself.

CHORUS

This tragic motor grooves me That dirty greenhouse moves me The devil's gotten to me Driving
in a trance.

I'm full of traffic anger A fire burns inside me Speeding's got me in a Cager trance

CHORUS

Speeding Mobiles Cagers Camera

Speeding Mobiles Cagers Camera

Don't you blame it You just got to You just want to Yea -

Blame it on yourself Ain't nobody's fault But yours and that greenhouse Speeding all night long

Yours and that greenhouse Ain't nobody's fault But yours Speeding all night long.

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com [currently
offline awaiting ADSL transfer to new ISP]