Speed Cameras - Here We Go Again

Robert Bruce

Guest
From this morning's Today programme.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/today/listenagain/ram/today1_mcarthur-christie_2 0031205.ram

Something called The Association of British Drivers now appears to be using P**l S***h's
"""""""research"""""" in order to complain about infringements to their right to drive dangerously.
Unfortunately, they were up against a representative of BRAKE who seemed totally out of her depth.

--
Rob

Please keep conversations in the newsgroup so that all may contribute and benefit.

Robert Bruce <> said:
> From this morning's Today programme.
>

> http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/today/listenagain/ram/today1_mcarthur-christie_2 0031205.ram
>
> Something called The Association of British Drivers now appears to be using P**l S***h's
> """""""research"""""" in order to complain about infringements to their right to drive
> dangerously. Unfortunately, they were up against a representative of BRAKE who seemed totally out
> of her depth.

Jim Naughtie seemed to be rather unsympathetic to the ABD's "self-serving" position and for her part
the BRAKE representative produced some figures that couldn't be denied by the ABD representative who
retorted with a rather weak "It's all in the interpretation" style comment.

Didn't think much of her "Think Of The Children" speech though...

All in all, a rather fun Controversy Slot.

Regards,

-david

Robert Bruce wrote:

> Something called The Association of British Drivers now appears to be using P**l S***h's
> """""""research"""""" in order to complain about infringements to their right to drive
> dangerously. Unfortunately, they were up against a representative of BRAKE who seemed totally out
> of her depth.

ABD == a bunch of right-wing petrolheads who were formed around the time that speed cameras first
became popular. Kindred spirits to P*** S****.

Robert Bruce wrote:

> Something called The Association of British Drivers now appears to be using P**l S***h's
> """""""research"""""" in order to complain about infringements to their right to drive
> dangerously. Unfortunately, they were up against a representative of BRAKE who seemed totally out
> of her depth.

ABD == a bunch of right-wing petrolheads who were formed around the time that speed cameras first
became popular. Kindred spirits to P*** S****.

"David Nutter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Robert Bruce <> said:
> > From this morning's Today programme.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/today/listenagain/ram/today1_mcarthur-christie_2
> > 0031205.ram
> >
> > Something called The Association of British Drivers now appears to be
using

Yes, they got theirselves on "dispatches" too- pointed out their "worse GATSO in britain" and the
road engineer gave several good reasons why it was there. They also have an analysis of global
warming that'd get low marks for a primary school kid.

OTOH They have members unlike "safe speed".

> > P**l S***h's """""""research"""""" in order to complain about
infringements
> > to their right to drive dangerously. Unfortunately, they were up against
> > representative of BRAKE who seemed totally out of her depth.
>
> Jim Naughtie seemed to be rather unsympathetic to the ABD's "self-serving" position and for her
> part the BRAKE representative produced some figures that couldn't be denied by the ABD
> representative who retorted with a
rather
> weak "It's all in the interpretation" style comment.
>
> Didn't think much of her "Think Of The Children" speech though...
>
> All in all, a rather fun Controversy Slot.

Yes, where we used to get the BSE/SARS/AIDS comes from outer space loon.

In article <[email protected]>, David Nutter
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Didn't think much of her "Think Of The Children" speech though...

It was appalling. That sort of Blair-babe, tears-in-my-eyes, ``you're all so stupid it makes me want
to cry'' thing may play well in the tabloids, but sounds hopeless on Radio 4 at a quarter to seven
in the morning. When she was reduced to ``Tell that to the family of...'' I switched off. The ABD
guy was talking the usual self-serving stuff you'd expect, but he know how to present for the
audience he had. Sure to God campaigning charities realise the importance of presentation? If not,
what are they doing on a slot on Today?

ian

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 11:28:12 +0000 (UTC), David Nutter <[email protected]> wrote:

> Jim Naughtie seemed to be rather unsympathetic to the ABD's "self-serving" position

Even getting him to accept the need for speed cameras it would seem. Smith is probably beating him
with birch twigs as we type and read.

Colin
--

"Ian G Batten" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, David Nutter
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Didn't think much of her "Think Of The Children" speech though...
>
> It was appalling. That sort of Blair-babe, tears-in-my-eyes, ``you're all so stupid it makes me
> want to cry'' thing may play well in the tabloids, but sounds hopeless on Radio 4 at a quarter to
> seven in the morning. When she was reduced to ``Tell that to the family of...'' I switched off.
> The ABD guy was talking the usual self-serving stuff you'd expect, but he know how to present for
> the audience he had. Sure to God campaigning charities realise the importance of presentation? If
> not, what are they doing on a slot on Today?
>
> ian

I think she landed her punches. Even if her method doesn't appeal to everyone it will appeal to
many. Not everyone appearing on 'Today' needs to be a gladiator and slay their opponent. Humphries
and Naughtie provide enough of that sort of entertainment for my morning.
___
Michael MacClancy

news:eek:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 11:28:12 +0000 (UTC), David Nutter <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Jim Naughtie seemed to be rather unsympathetic to the ABD's "self-serving" position
>
> Even getting him to accept the need for speed cameras it would seem. Smith is probably beating him
> with birch twigs as we type and read.

They should beat each other PS stated: "of course speed kills"