Speed Cameras

David Martin wrote:

> If you are clocked doing over the limit from a properly calibrated
> camera on a solid support, then I don't think there are many casues for
> complaint.

And such cameras have the cross check with the road markings to double
check the measurement. Where I believe there may be some
misunderstanding is there are two types of fixed speed camera. One type
records trangressions, the other just flashes as a deterrent. The
latter has much cheaper measurement systems and is prone to false
triggering. While it doesn't matter in one sense because its not
actually recording for prosecution it does lead to people seeing
themselves getting flashed when driving within the speed limits and
generating a level of distrust in camera accuracy in general.

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

"Richard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Alan Holmes wrote:
>> My only grip about speed cameras is that they are very rarely accurate,
>> so, many people who are accused of exceeeding the speed limit are, in
>> fact, not!

> If they are as accurate as your cycle computer...

I'm afraid I'm not so modern as to own a cycle computer, but bearing in mind
the number of faults attributed to 'computer error' I don't think I would
trust one anyway!

Alan

Ala Holmes said:

> I'm afraid I'm not so modern as to own a cycle computer, but bearing
> in mind the number of faults attributed to 'computer error' I don't
> think I would trust one anyway!

Strange; the Irony Detector reading shows nothing <taps dial>

Wonder how the Unintended Irony Detector is getitng on...YIKES!
<http://tinyurl.com/jsm2h>

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 17:13:08 +0000 (UTC), TheBagbournes
<[email protected]> said in
<[email protected]>:

> I think it's pretty tragic to have to "enjoy a car" by driving it
>fast.

Especially since 90%+ of the road network is so congested that this is
a pipe dream anyway.

The ABD apparently want to make car ownership more affordable - I will
laugh *very* loudly at their reaction if they ever achieve that aim
:)

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as MichaelB
<[email protected]> gently breathed:

>This is a new post just because its slightly off topic from the other
>speed camera post.

The only problem with speed cameras is that no govt has had the balls to
really make use of them properly. The authorities should either say
speeding is allowed and have done with it, or do the cameras properly,
fully hidden, no warning signs, and everywhere "drive within the limit
or get caught". Trouble is too many drivers see a speed limit as a
speed target, which is a major cause of aggression against cyclists,
when drivers believe they have a right to bully out of the way anyone
doing less than 30mph.

--
- DJ Pyromancer, The Sunday Goth Social, Leeds. <http://www.sheepish.net>

Broadband, Dialup, Domains = <http://www.wytches.net> = The UK's Pagan ISP!
<http://www.inkubus-sukkubus.co.uk> <http://www.revival.stormshadow.com>

Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as "Just zis
Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> gently breathed:
>On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 17:13:08 +0000 (UTC), TheBagbournes
><[email protected]> said in
><[email protected]>:

>> I think it's pretty tragic to have to "enjoy a car" by driving it
>>fast.

>Especially since 90%+ of the road network is so congested that this is
>a pipe dream anyway.
>
>The ABD apparently want to make car ownership more affordable - I will
>laugh *very* loudly at their reaction if they ever achieve that aim
>:)

LOL! Actually, credit is due to Clarkson on this issue. He once
commented in Top Gear magazine that a true car enthusiast would never
drive to the shop down the road, but would walk to leave the open road
free for people who were going distances. He had a point, I think.

--

Simon Brooke wrote:

> Just so. And as there are no hand held devices whose permanent
> locations are sold in devices intended to be mounted on the
> dashboards of cars, 'walls travelling at 15mph' have nothing whatever
> to do with this conversation.

Not true: a speed camera location is one where there is a fixed camera, or
one where the road is marked for VASCAR, or where the police have mounted a
roadside speed checking site more frequently than once every 3 months ish.

Sorry, these are IIRC figures, because the amount of drivel you have to sift
through to find genuine details is rather too high for me.
--
Ambrose

Pyromancer wrote:
[snip]
> Trouble is too many drivers see a speed limit as a
> speed target, which is a major cause of aggression against cyclists,
> when drivers believe they have a right to bully out of the way anyone
> doing less than 30mph.

It's worse than than. Too many drivers think they have a right to bully
out of the way anyone who is only doing 2 mph over the speed limit. On
my (car) commute, it is an almost daily occurrence for someone to try
to push me to go faster because I'm 'only' doing 31 mph in a 30 zone or
41 in a 40 zone (speeds corrected for known speedo reading error)

TL

The Luggage wrote:
> On
> my (car) commute, it is an almost daily occurrence for someone to try
> to push me to go faster because I'm 'only' doing 31 mph in a 30 zone or
> 41 in a 40 zone (speeds corrected for known speedo reading error)

Your speedo is illegal. It can over-read by 10% but it should never
under read. Doing 31mph at an indicated 30mph means it is illegal.

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

Tony Raven wrote:
> The Luggage wrote:
> > On
> > my (car) commute, it is an almost daily occurrence for someone to try
> > to push me to go faster because I'm 'only' doing 31 mph in a 30 zone or
> > 41 in a 40 zone (speeds corrected for known speedo reading error)
> >

> Your speedo is illegal. It can over-read by 10% but it should never
> under read. Doing 31mph at an indicated 30mph means it is illegal.

That's not what I meant. I meant that I had corrected the speeds I was
quoting because I know how far off my speedo is at varioous speeds.
Doing a real 31 mph, my speedo will read 33.

TL

The Luggage wrote:

> It's worse than than. Too many drivers think they have a right to bully
> out of the way anyone who is only doing 2 mph over the speed limit. On
> my (car) commute, it is an almost daily occurrence for someone to try
> to push me to go faster because I'm 'only' doing 31 mph in a 30 zone or
> 41 in a 40 zone (speeds corrected for known speedo reading error)

Try doing 20 mph in a 20 zone and see how fast the traffic builds up
behind you.

--
Dave...

The Luggage wrote:

> It's worse than than. Too many drivers think they have a right to
> bully out of the way anyone who is only doing 2 mph over the speed
> limit. On my (car) commute, it is an almost daily occurrence for
> someone to try to push me to go faster because I'm 'only' doing 31
> mph in a 30 zone or 41 in a 40 zone (speeds corrected for known
> speedo reading error)

They can't hurt you and you can have some fun.

Slow down a bit more, wave and blow kisses in the mirror. If they hoot,
slow down more and wave out the window at them. If your coming to some green
lights, really slow down, you can spare a min or two.

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

Love this:

Andy Morris wrote:
> The Luggage wrote:
> >
> > It's worse than than. Too many drivers think they have a right to
> > bully out of the way anyone who is only doing 2 mph over the speed
> > limit. On my (car) commute, it is an almost daily occurrence for
> > someone to try to push me to go faster because I'm 'only' doing 31
> > mph in a 30 zone or 41 in a 40 zone (speeds corrected for known
> > speedo reading error)
> >

> They can't hurt you and you can have some fun.
>
> Slow down a bit more, wave and blow kisses in the mirror. If they hoot,
> slow down more and wave out the window at them. If your coming to some green
> lights, really slow down, you can spare a min or two.

Unfortunately, the main place it happens is just about wide enough to
get 3 cars down. I've had a couple of people making stupid overtaking
manoeuvres in the last couple of months - squeezing round in the face
of oncoming traffic. I did give them a wave when we got to the next
junction though!

TL

"dkahn400" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The Luggage wrote:
>
>> It's worse than than. Too many drivers think they have a right to bully
>> out of the way anyone who is only doing 2 mph over the speed limit. On
>> my (car) commute, it is an almost daily occurrence for someone to try
>> to push me to go faster because I'm 'only' doing 31 mph in a 30 zone or
>> 41 in a 40 zone (speeds corrected for known speedo reading error)

> Try doing 20 mph in a 20 zone and see how fast the traffic builds up
> behind you.
>
> --
> Dave...

Oh yes... The main road by Nathan's place of education has a 20mph limit on
it. I stick to the limit. It appears I may be the only motorist who does and
for some reason, adhering to the speed limit seems to irritate the heck out
of following motorists.

Cheers, helen s

"wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "dkahn400" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> The Luggage wrote:
>>
>>> It's worse than than. Too many drivers think they have a right to bully
>>> out of the way anyone who is only doing 2 mph over the speed limit. On
>>> my (car) commute, it is an almost daily occurrence for someone to try
>>> to push me to go faster because I'm 'only' doing 31 mph in a 30 zone or
>>> 41 in a 40 zone (speeds corrected for known speedo reading error)

>> Try doing 20 mph in a 20 zone and see how fast the traffic builds up
>> behind you.
>>
>> --
>> Dave...
>>

> Oh yes... The main road by Nathan's place of education has a 20mph limit
> on it. I stick to the limit. It appears I may be the only motorist who
> does and for some reason, adhering to the speed limit seems to irritate
> the heck out of following motorists.

Well, of course it irritates them, you are a woman after all, and, in the
view of a large number of motorists should not be on the road!

Alan

On Thu, wafflycat <w*a*ffycat*@btco*nnect.com> wrote:

> The main road by Nathan's place of education has a 20mph limit on
> it. I stick to the limit. It appears I may be the only motorist who does

Nope, I stick to the limit when I drive past, which is admittedly not
often (my parents live just down the road). I agree it's rare to see
a car that _doesn't_ set off the radar-triggered 20mph warning sign in
that particular limit.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

> David Martin wrote:
>>
>> If you are clocked doing over the limit from a properly calibrated
>> camera on a solid support, then I don't think there are many casues for
>> complaint.
>>

> And such cameras have the cross check with the road markings to double
> check the measurement. Where I believe there may be some misunderstanding
> is there are two types of fixed speed camera.

And using this method of checking by the accused, reveals that the Gatsos
are completely inaccurate, the only set of pictures I have been sent from an
accusation by a Gatso, the gatso claimed that the speed I was doing in a 30
mph area was 39 pmh, but checking the marks showed the speed to have been 31
mph.

Alan

"The Luggage" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Pyromancer wrote:
> [snip]
>> Trouble is too many drivers see a speed limit as a
>> speed target, which is a major cause of aggression against cyclists,
>> when drivers believe they have a right to bully out of the way anyone
>> doing less than 30mph.

> It's worse than than. Too many drivers think they have a right to bully
> out of the way anyone who is only doing 2 mph over the speed limit. On
> my (car) commute, it is an almost daily occurrence for someone to try
> to push me to go faster because I'm 'only' doing 31 mph in a 30 zone or
> 41 in a 40 zone (speeds corrected for known speedo reading error)

In these cases, I often slow down a bit more and put on my hazard warning
lights, you would be surprised how effective that is.

Alan

Alan Holmes wrote:
> "The Luggage" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Pyromancer wrote:
> > [snip]
> >> Trouble is too many drivers see a speed limit as a
> >> speed target, which is a major cause of aggression against cyclists,
> >> when drivers believe they have a right to bully out of the way anyone
> >> doing less than 30mph.

> > It's worse than than. Too many drivers think they have a right to bully
> > out of the way anyone who is only doing 2 mph over the speed limit. On
> > my (car) commute, it is an almost daily occurrence for someone to try
> > to push me to go faster because I'm 'only' doing 31 mph in a 30 zone or
> > 41 in a 40 zone (speeds corrected for known speedo reading error)

> In these cases, I often slow down a bit more and put on my hazard warning
> lights, you would be surprised how effective that is.

.... at really winding up the person behind you, resulting in
aggression, flashing headlights, horns, and reckless overtaking
behaviour. I do have a tendency to slow down if someone is too close
behind me. I've given up on other tactics such as fog lights because
they too often made the situation more dangerous. One of the thngs that
does sometimes work is to slow down very gradually to 3-5 mph below the
limit, then quickly accelerate to the limit, to make some space behind
you. After a couple of goes at this, some people do get the message,
and it doesn't seem to evoke as much aggression as other tricks.

TL