Speed for club runs

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Peter Rollason, Apr 16, 2003.

  1. I generally cycle around 30-40 miles on a sunday morning - and average 14-16mph - I was wondering
    would this be fast enough to keep up on a club run ?

    Pete.

    Tags:

  2. Terry

    Terry Guest

    "Peter Rollason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I generally cycle around 30-40 miles on a sunday morning - and average 14-16mph - I was wondering
    > would this be fast enough to keep up on a club run ?
    >
    > Pete.

    Surely that would decide on the speed the club decided to ride at, which is normally the speed of
    the slowest rider in many clubs.

  3. Alex Graham

    Alex Graham Guest

    Terry wrote:

    > Surely that would decide on the speed the club decided to ride at, which is normally the speed of
    > the slowest rider in many clubs.

    Quite - your club are unlikely to drop you in the middle of nowhere! They are bound to be fairly
    supportive and wait at the top of any hills you get up slowly (if you get up slowly). Remember
    riding in a group is noticably easier as you can draft behind people if you find yourself
    struggling. Anyway, having to keep up with people will give you a good bit of exercise.

    --

    -Alex

    ----------------------------------
    [email protected]

    http://alexpg.ath.cx:3353/cycling.php http://www.westerleycycling.org.uk
    ----------------------------------

  4. Msa

    Msa Guest

    I generally cycle around 30-40 miles on a sunday morning - and average 14-16mph - I was wondering
    would this be fast enough to keep up on a club run ?

    Pete.

    On the road, thru the forest on a MTB?

    My Sunday morning club ride is usually around 20mph over a distance of 100k. Some clubs have
    different groups according to speed/distance.

    --
    Mark

  5. Cycling clubs (real cycling clubs which race) usually do 18-20 mph average when training, but fun
    cyclists do less.

    I'm cycling for years and years and do 50-100 miles on a Sunday with friends. We're cycletourists
    and usually average about 13.5, on hilly terrain. Our roads here are rough. Touring we average
    12mph, faster in flatter terrain, and slower in severe stuff like the Alps.

    One of the real pleasures is to get mates who all want to do the same average as yourself.

    The fact that we are capable of averaging a lot faster than we do is neither here nor there. We have
    done this for 20 years, the speed merchants always give up in the end.

  6. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    "Peter Rollason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I generally cycle around 30-40 miles on a sunday morning - and average 14-16mph - I was wondering
    > would this be fast enough to keep up on a club run ?

    As usual the answer is "it depends". Large clubs will often have more than one run or more than one
    group on a run to cater for members of differing abilities. Your speed is currently a little below
    that of the average club run and well below that of a fast one. However, riding with a group you
    will find it much easier to go faster and further. I would say that you're unlikely to be
    embarrassed by a lack of pace or endurance if that is your concern. Your best bet is to visit one
    or more clubs in your area, ask if you can join them on one of their less fierce runs and see how
    you get on. They will usually be happy for you to join in without insisting that you sign up
    straight away.

    Sometimes cycle shops organise runs as well. For example, there is a popular one starting outside
    Sigma Sport in Kingston at 9:30 on Sunday mornings, usually with a choice of pace and distance.
    Anyone can join in on this one.

    If you happen to be out on your own and encounter a group going in a vaguely similar direction you
    could just tag along. Most groups will be quite happy to let you do this especially if you introduce
    yourself. "Hello, guys; mind if I sit on the back for a few miles?" is a fairly good opening gambit.

    --
    Dave...

  7. Peter Rollason <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I generally cycle around 30-40 miles on a sunday morning - and average 14-16mph - I was wondering
    >would this be fast enough to keep up on a club run ?

    Depends if you mean a bunch of racers-in-training (no) or a bunch of teashop crawlers (yes); I
    average 15-16mph over such distances, and never have any trouble on the Reading CTC's leisure rides.
    The Wednesday evening jobs can be quite fast, but riding in a pack helps.

  8. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, one of infinite monkeys
    at the keyboard of "Peter Rollason" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I generally cycle around 30-40 miles on a sunday morning - and average 14-16mph - I was wondering
    > would this be fast enough to keep up on a club run ?

    Is that over flat or hilly terrain?

    Cycling in company has a psychological effect, that makes many of us[1] gain several mph without
    apparent effort or fatigue. So a club that avarages a bit faster than you might feel quite slow.
    OTOH, I wouldn't take that as a motivation to join a racer-dominated club.

    [1] exceptions likely to include those who discipline themselves to go fast riding solo.

    --
    Axis of Evil: Whose economy needs ever more wars? Arms Exports $bn: USA 14.2, UK 5.1, vs France 1.5,
    Germany 0.8 (The Economist, July 2002)

  9. Peter Rollason <[email protected]> wrote ...
    > I generally cycle around 30-40 miles on a sunday morning - and average 14-16mph - I was wondering
    > would this be fast enough to keep up on a club run ?

    At the risk of stating the obvious, it depends on the club......

    However, in my area (Cheltenham/Gloucester), the answer would be Yes, provided that you avoid
    anything described as a training ride. You might find the distances a bit more than 30-40 though.

    Andrew

  10. Martin

    Martin Guest

    > At the risk of stating the obvious, it depends on the club......

    And what you want to achieve. Thankfully the distinction between club cycling and leisure cycling is
    becoming blurred thanks to Audax etc. I was in your position 5 years ago and had a short sharp shock
    into time trials within six months-absolutely hated it, but now riding much stronger and further
    than before even though given up racing.

  11. I ride on Sundays with a group which includes a couple of 80 year olds, and the average speed has
    dropped over the last couple of years, and now sometimes doesn't make double figures. The long waits
    at the tops of even the slightest hill are made worthwhile by the good companionship. I'd say the
    answer is to tag along with some local clubs until you find the one that suits. If you're into
    fitness, look for one that goes just that little bit faster than you, but if you're out for
    pleasure, get a club that rides at your speed.

    --

    Martin Bulmer "Mixless Foot Persuasion"