Speed Gliding

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by unicyclistjoe, Dec 4, 2005.

  1. I've just been out riding with some speed skater friends of mine, and on
    a 26" muni managed to get up to 35km/h going down a hill. Just curious,
    has anyone else measured their speed while gliding? I also managed to
    get some carving turns going on my 20", but clipped the pedals on the
    ground and bailed kinda hard ;)

    For you non-metric people, 35km/h is roughly 21mph

    --
    unicyclistjoe

    NZUni President
    93cm Highest Hop
    225cm Longest Hop
    unicyclistjoe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6856

  2. Skippii

    Skippii Guest

  3. pete66

    pete66 Guest

  4. uniracer

    uniracer Guest

  5. James_Potter

    James_Potter Guest

    my best probably isn't too fast...I'm betting somewhere around 16 or 17
    miles per hour. I would kinda like to put a cyclometer on my trials
    uni to find out, but...its not worth it....

    --
    James_Potter

    to give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.

    michael atkinson
    mdotedotatkinsonatgmaildotcom
    President of the '_MRIS_' (http://tinyurl.com/dk2de)

  6. Evan Byrne

    Evan Byrne Guest

    i think 21Mph is bullshit.

    i have done 16.5 and i had hardly any contact with the tire with my
    shoe, bacicly it was controled coasting.

    I messured my speed with a handheld GPS.

    --
    Evan Byrne

    "Guns cause crime like flies cause garbage." -Harper
    Evan Byrne's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9367

  7. Spudman

    Spudman Guest

    you just need a bigger hill.

    --
    Spudman

    *| B B|* This space owned by Fly ':cool:'
    (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/VBGooglemap.php)
    *| I O |* This space owned by Frees*TYLER!*
    *| L A |* *MERCYME owns this space!!!*
    *| L R |* This space owned by unijesse
    *|__'-' (www.selectric.org)____'D'
    (http://www.cathodecorner.com/nixiewatch/index.html)___|* This space
    rendered by forrest
    Spudman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10752

  8. entropy

    entropy Guest

    Evan Byrne wrote:

    > i have done 16.5 and i had hardly any contact with the tire with my
    > shoe, bacicly it was controled coasting.
    >

    > I messured my speed with a handheld GPS.

    Tire size?

    --
    entropy
    entropy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5816

  9. Evan Byrne wrote:
    > i think 21Mph is bullshit.
    >

    > i have done 16.5 and i had hardly any contact with the tire with my
    > shoe, bacicly it was controled coasting.
    >

    > I messured my speed with a handheld GPS.

    Maybe you do need a steeper hill? On a smaller wheel, then you would
    definitely be limited due to speed wobbles, but just to assume that
    because you can't do it makes it impossible is a bit naive...

    --
    unicyclistjoe

    NZUni President
    93cm Highest Hop
    225cm Longest Hop
    unicyclistjoe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6856

  10. johnfoss

    johnfoss Guest

    Yup, over 21 mph has been done. Stupid, but done.

    I have also "glid" 8/10 of a mile nonstop. I wonder what the distance
    record would be these days? That was in 1987.

    --
    johnfoss

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

    "Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'

  11. Evan, I've glided (glidden?) down Lombard street in SF. 21mph sounds
    quite reasonable, except for the whole issue of shoe-melting. There are
    hills all over SF that are steep enough that anyone with the skill and
    a lack of a sense of mortality could break 30-35mph. I've gone >45 on
    my bike without pedalling on hills over here, so I see no reason why 22
    is impossible.

    Someday I want to see (not participate in... I'll take a bike) a
    gliding contest down the grapevine into LA. At the top the shoes would
    be new, at the bottom the competitors have to replace them...

    --
    gerblefranklin

    Nick's main man.

    "I love freedom dearly, ideally, in theory, but in reality we're not
    there yet--Not nearly."--Cold Duck Complex

  12. entropy

    entropy Guest

    gerblefranklin wrote:
    > Someday I want to see (not participate in... I'll take a bike) a gliding
    > contest down the grapevine into LA. At the top the shoes would be new,
    > at the bottom the competitors have to replace them...

    Don't forget the fire extinguishers! :eek:

    --

  13. gerblefranklin wrote:
    > Someday I want to see (not participate in... I'll take a bike) a gliding
    > contest down the grapevine into LA. At the top the shoes would be new,
    > at the bottom the competitors have to replace them...

    Oh man, that sounds awesome! Some of the suburbs around where I live
    (where we measured the 21mph) have some insanely long hills, so I want
    to try get some serious speed on film.

    I also want to try gliding with no cranks/pedals, hopefully with the
    aim of eliminating speed wobbles. What do you guys reckon?

    --
    unicyclistjoe

    NZUni President
    93cm Highest Hop
    225cm Longest Hop
    unicyclistjoe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6856

  14. lleberg

    lleberg Guest

    I'll have to get this going..
    I can glide, have done it for a hundred metres or so down a pretty
    steep hill.
    But nowhere enar high speeds, haven't got the control or balance to do
    it..
    and now it's winter with snow and ice and gravel, so i don't think so,
    have to wait for spring to glide outside..
    There are a few descends in parking-houses and so, but they are pretty
    short, but i think it will be great practice either way.

    --
    lleberg

    I <3 my unicycle!
    lleberg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8272

  15. caw89

    caw89 Guest

    Well Ive never measured the exact speed but I know once I was going with
    the wind and my eyes were still watering from going to fast...Ive had
    my tire get speed wobbles and me fall...i can easily go 21mph on my
    bike sicne I had a computer that told me my speed so I know how fast it
    feels like, and I know Ive glided faster than that..Whats the best way
    to measure your speed?

    --
    caw89

    'Cody's Gallery' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Codys-Gallery)

    'sixsixone' (http://sixsixone.com/)

    AIM: unicaw89

    -last edited by god on 3000-01-01 at 12:00 am-
    caw89's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8228

  16. caw89 wrote:
    > Well Ive never measured the exact speed but I know once I was going with
    > the wind and my eyes were still watering from going to fast...Ive had
    > my tire get speed wobbles and me fall...i can easily go 21mph on my
    > bike sicne I had a computer that told me my speed so I know how fast it
    > feels like, and I know Ive glided faster than that..Whats the best way
    > to measure your speed?

    A bike computer would probably be best, when I did it we had my
    friend's car driving beside me while they were filming

    --
    unicyclistjoe

    NZUni President
    93cm Highest Hop
    225cm Longest Hop
    unicyclistjoe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6856

  17. johnfoss

    johnfoss Guest

    unicyclistjoe wrote:
    > I also want to try gliding with no cranks/pedals, hopefully with the aim
    > of eliminating speed wobbles. What do you guys reckon?

    Taking off the pedals should be enough. Taking off the cranks doesn't
    seem to change much, and makes for a much bigger hassle getting back up
    the hill! :)

    --
    johnfoss

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone