Speed Gliding

unicyclistjoe

Guest
I've just been out riding with some speed skater friends of mine, and on
a 26" muni managed to get up to 35km/h going down a hill. Just curious,
has anyone else measured their speed while gliding? I also managed to
get some carving turns going on my 20", but clipped the pedals on the
ground and bailed kinda hard ;)

For you non-metric people, 35km/h is roughly 21mph

--
unicyclistjoe

NZUni President
93cm Highest Hop
225cm Longest Hop
unicyclistjoe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6856

my best probably isn't too fast...I'm betting somewhere around 16 or 17
miles per hour. I would kinda like to put a cyclometer on my trials
uni to find out, but...its not worth it....

--
James_Potter

to give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.

michael atkinson
mdotedotatkinsonatgmaildotcom
President of the '_MRIS_' (http://tinyurl.com/dk2de)

i think 21Mph is ********.

i have done 16.5 and i had hardly any contact with the tire with my
shoe, bacicly it was controled coasting.

I messured my speed with a handheld GPS.

--
Evan Byrne

"Guns cause crime like flies cause garbage." -Harper
Evan Byrne's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9367

you just need a bigger hill.

--
Spudman

*| B B|* This space owned by Fly ':cool:'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/VBGooglemap.php)
*| I O |* This space owned by Frees*TYLER!*
*| L A |* *MERCYME owns this space!!!*
*| L R |* This space owned by unijesse
*|__'-' (www.selectric.org)____'D'
(http://www.cathodecorner.com/nixiewatch/index.html)___|* This space
rendered by forrest
Spudman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10752

Evan Byrne wrote:
> i think 21Mph is ********.
>

> i have done 16.5 and i had hardly any contact with the tire with my
> shoe, bacicly it was controled coasting.
>

> I messured my speed with a handheld GPS.

Maybe you do need a steeper hill? On a smaller wheel, then you would
definitely be limited due to speed wobbles, but just to assume that
because you can't do it makes it impossible is a bit naive...

--
unicyclistjoe

NZUni President
93cm Highest Hop
225cm Longest Hop
unicyclistjoe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6856

Yup, over 21 mph has been done. Stupid, but done.

I have also "glid" 8/10 of a mile nonstop. I wonder what the distance
record would be these days? That was in 1987.

--
johnfoss

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

"Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'

Evan, I've glided (glidden?) down Lombard street in SF. 21mph sounds
quite reasonable, except for the whole issue of shoe-melting. There are
hills all over SF that are steep enough that anyone with the skill and
a lack of a sense of mortality could break 30-35mph. I've gone >45 on
my bike without pedalling on hills over here, so I see no reason why 22
is impossible.

Someday I want to see (not participate in... I'll take a bike) a
gliding contest down the grapevine into LA. At the top the shoes would
be new, at the bottom the competitors have to replace them...

--
gerblefranklin

Nick's main man.

"I love freedom dearly, ideally, in theory, but in reality we're not
there yet--Not nearly."--Cold Duck Complex

gerblefranklin wrote:
> Someday I want to see (not participate in... I'll take a bike) a gliding
> contest down the grapevine into LA. At the top the shoes would be new,
> at the bottom the competitors have to replace them...

Don't forget the fire extinguishers! :eek:

--
entropy
entropy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5816

gerblefranklin wrote:
> Someday I want to see (not participate in... I'll take a bike) a gliding
> contest down the grapevine into LA. At the top the shoes would be new,
> at the bottom the competitors have to replace them...

Oh man, that sounds awesome! Some of the suburbs around where I live
(where we measured the 21mph) have some insanely long hills, so I want
to try get some serious speed on film.

I also want to try gliding with no cranks/pedals, hopefully with the
aim of eliminating speed wobbles. What do you guys reckon?

--
unicyclistjoe

NZUni President
93cm Highest Hop
225cm Longest Hop
unicyclistjoe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6856

I'll have to get this going..
I can glide, have done it for a hundred metres or so down a pretty
steep hill.
But nowhere enar high speeds, haven't got the control or balance to do
it..
and now it's winter with snow and ice and gravel, so i don't think so,
have to wait for spring to glide outside..
There are a few descends in parking-houses and so, but they are pretty
short, but i think it will be great practice either way.

--
lleberg

I <3 my unicycle!
lleberg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8272

Well Ive never measured the exact speed but I know once I was going with
the wind and my eyes were still watering from going to fast...Ive had
my tire get speed wobbles and me fall...i can easily go 21mph on my
bike sicne I had a computer that told me my speed so I know how fast it
feels like, and I know Ive glided faster than that..Whats the best way
to measure your speed?

--
caw89

'Cody's Gallery' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Codys-Gallery)

'sixsixone' (http://sixsixone.com/)

AIM: unicaw89

-last edited by god on 3000-01-01 at 12:00 am-
caw89's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8228

caw89 wrote:
> Well Ive never measured the exact speed but I know once I was going with
> the wind and my eyes were still watering from going to fast...Ive had
> my tire get speed wobbles and me fall...i can easily go 21mph on my
> bike sicne I had a computer that told me my speed so I know how fast it
> feels like, and I know Ive glided faster than that..Whats the best way
> to measure your speed?

A bike computer would probably be best, when I did it we had my
friend's car driving beside me while they were filming

--

unicyclistjoe wrote:
> I also want to try gliding with no cranks/pedals, hopefully with the aim
> of eliminating speed wobbles. What do you guys reckon?

Taking off the pedals should be enough. Taking off the cranks doesn't
seem to change much, and makes for a much bigger hassle getting back up
the hill! :)

--
johnfoss

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone