Speed is a factor in accidents

Corzhens

May 26, 2015
For the nth time, I have seen in the evening news the cctv video of an accident involving a biker. It was already red in the traffic lights when the speeding bike went thru and hit the car that had the right of way. The rider lay sprawled on the hood of the car. Fortunately the owner of the car was not violent as to quarrel with the biker who was obviously injured. The reporter said that if only the bike was not speeding then it would have time to brake and avoid the collision.

Whether it’s related to cars or to bicycles, speed is undoubtedly a killer. When combined with inattentiveness it’s a surefire recipe for disaster.

For example, there is a particular road I take when going to my local supermarket, and it involves turning a corner from the road onto the sidewalk where you’re completely blind to any pedestrians or cyclists coming your way. Well, one time I was riding at my usual pace and about to make the turn, when something told me I should probably slow down a bit.

Lo and behold, just as soon as I was about to make the turn, a cyclist comes flying by like a bat out of hell. Had I not slowed down at that corner, he would’ve struck me and we both would’ve probably ended up with broken bones.

A lot of people died because of over speeding. Here in my place one store got hit by an over speeding jeep. Luckily, there were no casualties but there is lots of damage to the store and the jeep. It was a horrifying accident. There was child that got under the jeep. If only the driver wasn't speeding it wouldn't have happened. The accident rate cause by over speeding is skyrocketing. You can hear in the news everyday regarding this problem. The government should be stricter in implementing the law to this people.

"Ah, the classic 'lead foot on the pedal, blind eye to traffic laws' move. If only bikes had brakes that screamed 'STOP' like a toddler at bedtime, we'd all be safe!"

While I respect your perspective, I can't help but feel the need to disagree. The blame shouldn't be solely placed on the cyclist in this situation. Yes, the biker was speeding and ran a red light, but what about the driver? Were they paying full attention to the road? Were they driving recklessly themselves?

Let's not forget that cars are significantly larger and more dangerous than bikes. The driver should have been more cautious, especially since they had the right of way. It's easy to point fingers, but we should be promoting road safety for all users, not just those in cars.

And let's not even get started on the state of our infrastructure. Cyclists are often forced to take risks because of poorly designed roads and lack of bike lanes. It's a recipe for disaster.

So before we jump to conclusions and blame the cyclist, let's take a step back and consider all the factors at play. Road safety is a shared responsibility, and we all need to do our part. ;)