Speed on a bike in Denver, get a ticket

This is BS, although I can see this catching on with pencil pushers in other states.
Oklahoma just passed laws giving cyclists more rights in regards to the road, and now it seems like everytime I open the paper somebody is writing a letter to the editor saying we aren't following the rules of the road ourselves.
Pedestrians should know to just stay to the right side, and watch out behind you every now and then. (I do this on my bike) If you're not careful, and if you dont take these simple precautions, you deserve to be plowed over.

Sir Spinsir said:
This is BS, although I can see this catching on with pencil pushers in other states.
Oklahoma just passed laws giving cyclists more rights in regards to the road, and now it seems like everytime I open the paper somebody is writing a letter to the editor saying we aren't following the rules of the road ourselves.
Pedestrians should know to just stay to the right side, and watch out behind you every now and then. (I do this on my bike) If you're not careful, and if you dont take these simple precautions, you deserve to be plowed over.

Likewise if cyclists can't abide by the rules in a multi-use place, then they deserve wha they get. In this case, that would be a ticket. So sad. I see the whining and crying has already started.

Sir Spinsir said:
Actually, pedestrians and runners are supposed to be on the left side. They are moving slow enough to gauge oncoming traffic and can easily step out of the way if need be. Unlike bicycles, pedestrians are definitely not vehicles, so they follow different rules of the road. So we still need to dodge them in areas without sidewalks.

What annoys me more is when a jogger is using the road instead of the sidewalk, when one is available. As far as I can tell, jogging on the sidewalk is not a big inconvenience, and they aren't going fast enough to worry about cars pulling out of driveways any more than a walker needs to worry about this.

I support what the Denver Parks Department and the Denver Police are doing. I live four blocks from Washington Park and use the facility every day. I am a CAT 3 licensed ACA and USAC competitor. The issue in specificially Washington Park and the rest of Denver's trail systems is related to not a "few" bad apples but simpy too may cyclists who have no common sense or respect for others. SAdly, the TV reports did not show the real offenders being ticketed. Especially, the roller bladers who blast through the park.

I can't count the times I have been nearly hit or accosted by idiots who believe they own the road when I am crossing the street in the park when walking my dog. Most of the issues in my optinon are caused by the "Lance Armstrong" wannabies and espcially those cyclist on tri-bikes blasting through the park.

If people learn to respect each other and use some common sense things like this would not happen.

Just my two cents being a resident of the neighborhood and daily patron of the park.

BTW, I also was one of the people who complained to the Parks Department and City Police about the issues.