Speed (or lack thereof), fitness, and blood flow

Simon Mason wrote:

> I try and ride past just breathing through my nose which adds to the effect
> ;-) It's a good way of training as I've got to give it full gas for a long
> while not knowing if they've turned off or not.

That's what mirrors are for. Either that or make a strategic left turn,
or stop and get your phone out, at the first opportunity whether you
need to or not.

Tony

in message <[email protected]>, Simon Mason
('[email protected]') wrote:

> "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> Me too and its nothing to do with fitness but the increasing
>> prevalence of
>> bits of your body to let you down as you get older. One of the main
>> risk factors for DVT is age.

> Yeah sorry Simon - hope you get back in full working order soon.

It cannae be helpit. All I can do, for the present, is keep on taking
the exercise - and the rat poison. And at least I am still alive. But
frankly, if you're considering it, I wouldn't recommend it.

Due to financial constraints, the light at the end of the tunnel
has been switched off.

> Simon Mason wrote:
>>
>> I try and ride past just breathing through my nose which adds to the
>> effect ;-) It's a good way of training as I've got to give it full gas
>> for a long while not knowing if they've turned off or not.

> That's what mirrors are for. Either that or make a strategic left turn,
> or stop and get your phone out, at the first opportunity whether you need
> to or not.

I haven't got a phone and it's good training *not* to know. Although when I
took on a roadie the other day cruising at 27 mph, a cash machine *did* come
in handy. Well, I needed the money anyway ;-)

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

Simon Mason wrote:

> I haven't got a phone and it's good training *not* to know.

But they won't know that through the red mist if you stop, reach in your
pocket and then hold your hand to your ear ;-)

Tony

wafflycat wrote:

> "LSMike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>

>> Absolutely, it's the rest period after exercise where your body
>> recovers and super-compensates, becoming that tiny bit fitter and
>> stronger. Rest/recovery doesn't necessarily mean no exercise, for
>> those training a lot some active recovery is often best, *VERY* light
>> exercise for 30 minutes, just enough to get your HR up a little and
>> make you warm.
>>

> Aye - on his off-bike day(s), he'll do some gentle stretching exercises
> for about half-an-hour.

- arms above head and yawning

pete whelan wrote:
> wafflycat wrote:

>> Aye - on his off-bike day(s), he'll do some gentle stretching
>> exercises for about half-an-hour.

> - arms above head and yawning

Nah, the headboard gets in the way ;-)

Tony

> It cannae be helpit. All I can do, for the present, is keep on taking
> the exercise - and the rat poison. And at least I am still alive. But
> frankly, if you're considering it, I wouldn't recommend it.

Well here's hoping you don't have to be on the rat poison for much longer
and are fully recovered.

Cheers, helen s

Clive George wrote:
> "Simon Brooke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> I wouldn't be surprised, given my condition and the fact that the
>> blood flow out of my left leg is badly restricted, if my power was
>> down consistently, but I don't understand why it's so up and down -
>> why some days I've got quite good performance and other days it's
>> just ****. It may be related to mood swings - I've been really
>> struggling not to get too depressed over this. But if anyone has any
>> suggestions for why my performance is varying, and what I could do
>> about it, I'd be really grateful.

> Isn't it just normal? I notice good days and bad days too. I mostly
> blame the weather though :)

The weather, specifically wind speed & direction, /really/ is to blame for
most big differences in average speeds.

Anyway, best of luck Simon. Perhaps concentrating on a less competitve
style of cycling for a while will pick up your mood while giving the
physical condition time to improve?

~PB